Any chance of getting into industry with a pharmD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Z e r o X

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you doomed to working at retail/hospitol if you get a pharmD? Can you get into pharmaceutical industry with a pharmD? How much is the salary for industry compared to retail? What area of industry (inventing, designing drugs? or management?) could you work in with just a pharmD? do you need MBA etc. ? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So are you doomed to retail/hospitol? Or does somebody know someone who is in industry? How much can you expect in industry? Could you become high level (CEO, president) with just pharmD?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of the people in the industry have PhD and did research. I'm sure it's possible to enter with a PharmD but I've never personally known anyond to do soe. As for a CEO or president, I'm not too sure as I would think MBA's would be more competitive.

I would also like to get an MBA someday. Would this degree help me advance in pharmacy in any way? I hate the idea of being stuck to the same salary I started with.

goheel said:
I would also like to get an MBA someday. Would this degree help me advance in pharmacy in any way? I hate the idea of being stuck to the same salary I started with.

Yeah that kind of kills the motivation of becoming a pharmacist. How much would getting a MBA help you get into industry? Would you need alot more training?

I too had this question about an additional MBA with a Pharm D. I figured that I would open more doors for me. However, I had a conversation about this with a pharmacist and she stated that all her friends that have an MBA with Pharm D are all retail pharmacist. I would like to menthod that I am sure It could help in the long run, but I guess you have to pay your dues first.

How does a person even get into the pharmaceutical industries? What majors would help? How much do they make?

My friend has a BS in Biology plus an MBA and is a Pharmaceutical Sales Rep. He makes over 100K.

OoShimmeroO said:
My friend has a BS in Biology plus an MBA and is a Pharmaceutical Sales Rep. He makes over 100K.

How does industry salary compare with retail salary?

OoShimmeroO said:
i am under the impression that most drug reps work off of commission with a very low base salery

the key is to get a good drug and then sell your soul to the devil.

Not to mention that it's becoming increasingly harder to gain access to doctors, which means fewer sales.

But, you do get your weight in pens and other crap plastered with your drug's logo!

i work in pfizer Legal and i met about 4 or 5 pharmacists that work here...2 work in Legal as paralegals (they got their PharmD and i think they got their law degree) and one pharmacist works in clinical trials..another one works in the Worldwide Lipitor Team, another one works as a pharmaceutical sales representative, and anothe pharmacist works in Medical Information. She was nice enough to actually invite me to her department, and give me a tour of the place and a presentation of what they do. pretty much the entire medical information department was pharmacists, except for a few RN's and a doctor..i wrote down everything i learned there if you guys wanna kno anything about it...=) and umm, she said something about accepting interns/student rotations from Rutgers, PCP, and UMichigan. but yeah medical information i think is an expanding part of pharm. industries and a great place for a pharmacist to start. its something i would want to do when i get out :)

CSzGirl said:
Not to mention that it's becoming increasingly harder to gain access to doctors, which means fewer sales.

But, you do get your weight in pens and other crap plastered with your drug's logo!

afablej said:
i work in pfizer Legal and i met about 4 or 5 pharmacists that work here...2 work in Legal as paralegals (they got their PharmD and i think they got their law degree) and one pharmacist works in clinical trials..another one works in the Worldwide Lipitor Team, another one works as a pharmaceutical sales representative, and anothe pharmacist works in Medical Information. She was nice enough to actually invite me to her department, and give me a tour of the place and a presentation of what they do. pretty much the entire medical information department was pharmacists, except for a few RN's and a doctor..i wrote down everything i learned there if you guys wanna kno anything about it...=) and umm, she said something about accepting interns/student rotations from Rutgers, PCP, and UMichigan. but yeah medical information i think is an expanding part of pharm. industries and a great place for a pharmacist to start. its something i would want to do when i get out :)

I know a few pharmacists with the Fragmin Team. They are awesome... I talk to them often. Pick up the phone...ask for reference material...and it's in my office next day.

Beauty of how they set up Fragmin is that it's not marketed with a marketing force... No sales rep pushing Fragmin..whereas the competitor Lovenox by Aventis is marketed like there is no tomorrow.

Then again, Fragmin is 30-40% cheaper than Lovenox. :thumbup:

Let's face it. Many RX grads will work retail. Many will work hospital. Some will get into industry. If your goal is to get into the Pharm Industry after school, then the opportunity will be there. Of course it's not going to be as easy as getting a job with Wal-Mart.

Another sector is pharm industry which I think is phenomenal is the MSL - medical science liaison positions. They work out of home office...but travel the territory basically in-servicing physicians and pharmacists. Most of the MSL's presentations try to mute the brand bias which I like.

ZpackSux said:
I know a few pharmacists with the Fragmin Team. They are awesome... I talk to them often. Pick up the phone...ask for reference material...and it's in my office next day.

Beauty of how they set up Fragmin is that it's not marketed with a marketing force... No sales rep pushing Fragmin..whereas the competitor Lovenox by Aventis is marketed like there is no tomorrow.

Then again, Fragmin is 30-40% cheaper than Lovenox. :thumbup:

Let's face it. Many RX grads will work retail. Many will work hospital. Some will get into industry. If your goal is to get into the Pharm Industry after school, then the opportunity will be there. Of course it's not going to be as easy as getting a job with Wal-Mart.

Another sector is pharm industry which I think is phenomenal is the MSL - medical science liaison positions. They work out of home office...but travel the territory basically in-servicing physicians and pharmacists. Most of the MSL's presentations try to mute the brand bias which I like.

ZpackSux - Great informations on the pharm industry positions. Where can we find more informations on MSL (Medical Science Liason)?

Thanks

Caverject said:
Is Fragmin a LMW heparin or something?

Fragmin = Dalteparin. Lovenox = Enoxaparin.

Fragmin's landmark study was FRIC & FRISC.
Lovenox's landmark study was ESSENCE.

They both looked at LMWH in Non-Qwave MI/ACS.

FRIC concluded fragmin is as effective heparin in ACS.
ESSENCE concluded Lovenox to be more effective than heparin in ACS.

With that...Aventis and Lovenox people concluded that Lovenox is better than Fragmin. And 90% of the healthcare in the US bought that. Count me as being the 10% who didn't. Without going into detail... FRIC & ESSENCE are great clinical trials...for 4th year pharmacy students to delve into.. pick it apart and evaluate the study design and it's role in marketing.

FRIC was a European study with less critical patients. ESSENCE was a North American study with more critical patients. We now know that LMWH has more beneficial effects on critical patients vs less.

Ugo said:
ZpackSux - Great informations on the pharm industry positions. Where can we find more informations on MSL (Medical Science Liason)?

Thanks

UGO,

I highly doubt MSL position will be given to a fresh new grad. Most of the positions require MD, PhD, or PharmD. All of the MSL I've worked with were PharmDs. Salary is usually $90,000 - $120,000 per year.

Type medical science liason in www.monster.com. The employers are usually large pharm companies...like Wyeth, Merck, Pfiezer... requiring a speciality.. like infectious disease...(usually detailing antibiotics) or neurology (detailing psych meds)...etc.

Some of the MSL's I've worked with made transitions from clinical pharmacy from hospitals to the pharm industry.

i agree with Zpack....MSL positions will most likely not be given to an undergrad...i know with pfizer, there are only a few hundred positions in the country...so it's really a unique profession for a pharmacist and i dont know about the future prospects of it, but it is fairly new.

jmhousem said:
Purdue offers a dual degree in this area: PharmD/MSIA. Here's a URL with information on the program:

http://www.pharmacy.purdue.edu/academics/pharmd/pharmd_msia.php

Purdue also offers a specialization in Industrial and Physical Pharmacy:

http://www.ipph.purdue.edu/