any chance of going to med school with a 3.0 GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon_12

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am a senior at UNC Chapel Hill graduating this spring with what's probably gonna be around a 3.0 GPA. I am majoring in psychology but I really want to work in the medical field. I was originally thinking of PA school and have taken about 75% of the pre-reqs for it but after working as a CNA in the hospital for several months, I would really like to become a doctor more than a PA. However, based off of my academics in undergrad and hearing about people getting rejected with much higher GPAs, I don't feel very optimistic. Is there any path I can take to get into med school with a GPA that low or should I consider another career? I'm more than willing to take a post bac or master's program but I know my GPA can only increase by so much after so many credits in undergrad. I just thought I'd ask anyways as I don't really know what options are out there or know anyone personally that I can ask. The pre-health advising at my university doesn't have any openings for the next month so I couldn't make an appointment. I'd really like to hear what anyone has to say even if it's telling me I don't have a chance so at least I don't waste more time being hopeful.

Members don't see this ad.

A year of postbacc at a 3.7 or above will put you in a decent spot to apply. 505+ for DO 510+ for MD. Would need to start volunteering within your community as well.

Reactions: 2 users
What is around a 3.0? Heuristics render marginal differences at certain boundaries more important than they would be in most sucontexts. For example, a 3.1/515 is more likely to have success than a 2.9/515. Try your hardest to finish strong.

Aside from grades, the most important thing right now is to focus on getting recommendations and a committee letter before you graduate. These are possible to get after graduation but it can be much more difficult.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you tell me what is it about being a PA that you didn't like? What were the physicians doing?

How many hours of clinical experience do you have? There are many PA applicants i know who have also been rejected with higher HPAs than yours. So bringing up your GPA is critical, but be realistic about

It also depends what science courses you have taken. You might have to take some rigorous postbac science classes to prepare you for medical education.

(I will DM you for follow-up since you mentioned you aren't able to get an appointment with your prehealth advising office.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone. I am a senior at UNC Chapel Hill graduating this spring with what's probably gonna be around a 3.0 GPA. I am majoring in psychology but I really want to work in the medical field. I was originally thinking of PA school and have taken about 75% of the pre-reqs for it but after working as a CNA in the hospital for several months, I would really like to become a doctor more than a PA. However, based off of my academics in undergrad and hearing about people getting rejected with much higher GPAs, I don't feel very optimistic. Is there any path I can take to get into med school with a GPA that low or should I consider another career? I'm more than willing to take a post bac or master's program but I know my GPA can only increase by so much after so many credits in undergrad. I just thought I'd ask anyways as I don't really know what options are out there or know anyone personally that I can ask. The pre-health advising at my university doesn't have any openings for the next month so I couldn't make an appointment. I'd really like to hear what anyone has to say even if it's telling me I don't have a chance so at least I don't waste more time being hopeful.
Read my post on reinvention for premeds.

A 3.0 GPA is lethal for med school unless you have a massive rising GPA trend.

Reactions: 1 users
Your state school (if applicable) is probably your best bet in this case, but you certainly could do a post bac or SMP. As long as your other parts of your application are pretty solid, you'd have a shot for DO I would think and maybe your state MD.

I was admitted into 2 MD schools this cycle (1 state school, 1 not) and I applied with a 3.1, but a 3.9 SMP.

Edit: I would add you would have the best shot after a post bac/SMP.

Last edited:
Plan on at least one (probably 2 or more) years of preparation. Do a post-bacc (formal or DIY) and show that you can get close to a 4.0 in those classes. Do plenty of volunteer work and shadowing. Have regular contact with your premed advising department (even after you graduate) so you can get a good committee letter, plus get help reviewing your application and practicing interviews. Don't take the MCAT until you are sure that you can score a 515 or better.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm more than willing to take a post bac or master's program
Something to keep in mind is that you need to figure out what kept your GPA down so far and then fix that. So many come on here saying that they got a 3.0 so far but expect to pull off a 4.0 from here on out -- while that's a good plan, unless you figure out how to do better you'll just end up having paid for more school without actually helping you get anywhere.

Reactions: 4 users
Have you thought about clinical psychology?

Would definitely be a good backup with your credentials unless you really just hate psych.

1) If becoming a Doctor is what you want to do, do it! Don't be discouraged (although it is easy to be). I also had a cumulative 3.09 GPA. If you are showing an upward trend in your science courses, that is also a good sign. I would suggest doing a one or two-year post-bac or science re-lated master's degree program that shows you can succeed in rigorous science courses. Aim for a 3.5 GPA and above in these programs. Additionally unless you are applying to IV League schools, you do NOT need a 515 MCAT. I know from personal experience and from other friends who got below this score and were accepted after completing a post-bac. As long as you get above 505, you should be fine. You will just need to apply to schools more broadly.
check out this website by AAMC: Postbac
**Not all post-bacs are created equal. Make sure to do your research because some programs are money grabs.

2) Also, make sure your grades are balanced with volunteering, research, or any type of activity that interests you and provides the qualities that would make you a good physician (does not have to be medical/science related). Medical schools are checking to see if you are a well-rounded person, aside from making good grades. In fact, schools are now preferring applicants who have had a gap-year or two because those students have more life experience, which shows maturity and adds value to the med school cohort.
BTW, I am sure your CNA experience provided you with good lessons and qualities that would make you a good physician. Hold on to that.

3) Find a mentor that believes in you, if you do not already have one. I found the pre-health university advisors not helpful for students with lower GPAs. My university gave up on me and I had a 3.09. Keep them for the committee letter, but also find a mentor outside the university who truly cares about your success and journey.

The path to medical school does not have to be a straight one. You can do this! Take your time and do not let people sway you into going to another field (unless YOU decide becoming a doctor is not for you). Others did the same thing to me, but I kept going and found mentors that believed in me. Now I am a first-year medical student.

Stay strong. Feel free to DM me anytime.

Additionally unless you are applying to IV League schools, you do NOT need a 515 MCAT. I know from personal experience and from other friends who got below this score and were accepted after completing a post-bac. As long as you get above 505, you should be fine.
This is false. The average MCAT score of an MD admitted student in the 2021 cycle was a 511.9. If OP wants MD, they should absolutely aim to well exceed the average of 512 to offset their below-average GPA; therefore 515 would not be an unreasonable benchmark. I don't think a 505 would be enough for DO without a significant GPA boost (i.e. via post-bac or SMP).

OP, there's some great advice in this thread: critically evaluate your undergraduate GPA and whether there's been an upward trend, and whether you can achieve a much higher GPA in a post-bac/SMP. I very much agree with this word of caution:
Something to keep in mind is that you need to figure out what kept your GPA down so far and then fix that. So many come on here saying that they got a 3.0 so far but expect to pull off a 4.0 from here on out -- while that's a good plan, unless you figure out how to do better you'll just end up having paid for more school without actually helping you get anywhere.

Rooting for you and would love to see you make it into med school. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Contact schools you're interested in and ask the admissions councels. They can provide the best insight and you'll build rapport

I finished undergrad with a 3.16, did an SMP with a 3.89 GPA, 504 mcat and have multiple DO acceptances this cycle, so it is definitely possible!

Reactions: 6 users
An average score is not always a good representation of the population. There are outliers that can affect this. Plus, every medical school has their own averages which could be more or less than 511.
As I mentioned previously, with successful completion of a post-bac program and an MCAT above 505, this person will still have a good chance of getting in.
This is false. The average MCAT score of an MD admitted student in the 2021 cycle was a 511.9. If OP wants MD, they should absolutely aim to well exceed the average of 512 to offset their below-average GPA; therefore 515 would not be an unreasonable benchmark. I don't think a 505 would be enough for DO without a significant GPA boost (i.e. via post-bac or SMP).

OP, there's some great advice in this thread: critically evaluate your undergraduate GPA and whether there's been an upward trend, and whether you can achieve a much higher GPA in a post-bac/SMP. I very much agree with this word of caution:

Rooting for you and would love to see you make it into med school. Good luck

A GPA of 3.0 is a difficult obstacle to overcome regardless of MCAT score, but it has been done. Your best path would be to complete your Bachelor's and get a Master's with a high GPA and do well on the MCAT.

A GPA of 3.0 is a difficult obstacle to overcome regardless of MCAT score, but it has been done. Your best path would be to complete your Bachelor's and get a Master's with a high GPA and do well on the MCAT.
Is this true? Adcoms on SDN advise that, other than SMPs, Masters degrees are worthless for GPA repair because they are massively grade inflated, and that the path to GPA repair is DIY post-baccs.

It depends on the Master’s program. Yes, there is grade inflation but you still have to study your butt off to do well because it is graduate-level work. It will be more challenging than undergrad… If your master’s degree is in cancer biology, medical physiology, or some type of hard science, then that should be fine. Adcoms are referring to people who get master’s degree in soft sciences, like public health or nutrition, which may not prove you can actually handle rigorous science coursework… If you do a master’s program your graduate GPA will be sepearate from the undergrad GPA, but schools will look at to see if you have a positive trajectory… I completed the Medical Physiology Master’s program at Case Western. I, and many, of my former classmates are now in MD programs.

any chance of going to med school with a 3.0 GPA?​

Depends. MD? Nah. DO? Maybe. It also depends on your MCAT

I got into DO with a 3.1 cGPA/sGPA and upward trend. Repair your GPA with a year or 2 of high level science courses.

Reactions: 3 users
Is this true? Adcoms on SDN advise that, other than SMPs, Masters degrees are worthless for GPA repair because they are massively grade inflated, and that the path to GPA repair is DIY post-baccs.
It depends on the Master’s program. Yes, there is grade inflation but you still have to study your butt off to do well because it is graduate-level work. It will be more challenging than undergrad… If your master’s degree is in cancer biology, medical physiology, or some type of hard science, then that should be fine. Adcoms are referring to people who get master’s degree in soft sciences, like public health or nutrition, which may not prove you can actually handle rigorous science coursework… If you do a master’s program your graduate GPA will be sepearate from the undergrad GPA, but schools will look at to see if you have a positive trajectory… I completed the Medical Physiology Master’s program at Case Western. I, and many, of my former classmates are now in MD programs.
I agree. A Master's from a less known, or worse, completely online for-profit school, is not a path to success. Most of the students who go on to earn a Master's do as you have said--complete a challenging program AND often pursue a worthwhile research project that gets published.

I got into DO with a 3.1 cGPA/sGPA and upward trend. Repair your GPA with a year or 2 of high level science courses.
DO schools are now getting quite competitive as well, and the trend is toward higher GPAs.

An average score is not always a good representation of the population. There are outliers that can affect this. Plus, every medical school has their own averages which could be more or less than 511.
As I mentioned previously, with successful completion of a post-bac program and an MCAT above 505, this person will still have a good chance of getting in.
For DO, yes. For MD, no

You can get MD with a 3.0 if you do grade repair

There is always St. George School of Medicine in Greneda. As far as a US medical school having a 3.0 won't get you in anywhere or get you an interview. Always can try an ace a SMP program who can get you an interview at the medical school but that's about it.

• Dislike
The off-shore (Caribbean) medical schools are your only avenue.

• Dislike
I strongly suggest staying away from Caribbean schools. It's not worth the financial burden, immense stress, and uncertainty.

• Love