Any chance to get into a lower ranked DO with these stats? Is application a waste of money?

ToeTag1999

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
Oct 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
cGPA - 3.547
sGPA - 3.67
Major (Bio) SUNY Albany
URM - Mexican
MCAT - 495
Volunteer, Shadow, No Research

I cannot believe with that MCAT I would get accepted to any DO school and if I was White/Asian I'd definitely not apply. But as URM maybe there is an outside chance I dunno that's why I'm asking here. Is it even worth doing or I'm just wasting the money? I has a few places like BCOM, Idaho DO and a couple others that allow you to apply with 493 minimum.

My MCAT scores were 125, 124, 123, 123. Did the worst in CARS (and Bio) with 123, which on test day I thought I nailed lol. I am planning a retake in April after studying more and taking more practice exams. I mostly just did content review with Kaplan Books for 6 weeks before and took 3 practices which I kept getting 499-501.

I am applying to SGU for Fall 2020 as well. Also three Podiatry Schools in NY, Miami and Philly. Do you think I will get into these at least? I've heard Caribbean is a bad route to go but 50/50 shot at an MD Primary care sounds decent. BUT I'd want to make sure I was on fire getting straight A's and confident I can do well on the USMLE which I have HEARD is more content driven and about memorization. Memorization is my specialty. I just suck when I get evaluated on my natural intelligence because I'm only of average intelligence and I know this. BUT I am a tenacious bulldog for content and will nail that. I always did well on the ACS exams which were standardized content driven exams. I will be a bulldog again for the 2nd MCAT attempt but it felt like more of an IQ test a lot of the time.
If USMLE is more IQ than content then **** it I won't even waste my time with SGU.

I am extremely interested in Podiatry and if they made an average salary of 240K I'd be all in no questions wouldn't even expend energy retaking MCAT unless I needed to for podiatry. The ability to be autonomous Doc, with expertise in an area I enjoy (foot/ankle) and I can do surgery!! Me? I've never thought I was good enough to do that type of work. And I don't think I can compete with the students in MD/DO school to the level that I can get a better matching than primary care or pediatrics. So this may be the only way I can be a surgeon.

What kills me about podiatry is the opportunity cost. I would be spending 7 years long to make 140K salary, half of a primary care doc. But I do get to do surgery which is a long dream of mine. I don't care what anyone thinks about me (honestly I don't but I am at least smart enough to know I need to pretend I care and defer to higher status people) so Dr. of Podiatry vs Dr. of Medicine makes little difference to me. But show me the money. I want my cake and eat it too.
The only way I can have that though seems to be nail the MCAT and make MD and THEN on top of all that match into surgery. Fat chance of ALL that going right. I'd have to be happy to just make DO and get the Family Medicine gig. Which would thrill me also because I like autonomy, money, ability to prescribe weds, treating wounds, etc.

I hope I don't sound like and immature type person. In another thread I stated I also like podiatry because they can prescribe meds, can be mobile, do surgery and autonomy in THEIR own field as the top experts. Now of course if I needed ankle surgery there is no way in hell I'm going to a podiatrist over an orthopedist who specializes in foot/ankle. I want the smartest person. But do people actually go to podiatrist for legit surgery like achilles rupture repair, broken ankles, plantar fasciitis, etc.??? If anyone can answer this I'd appreciate because I trust asking here over the Pod forum because I like to ask neutral people questions who have no stake or bias in the reality.

So all in all what are your suggestions? Obviously I need to retake the MCAT and shoot for DO, but is there any way I can apply with my current stats and sneak in? It's too late for this cycle so I guess I'm asking for next cycle 2021 in case my MCAT stays the same (which I don't think it will but who knows because I thought I nailed it this time especially the CARS)

Is SGU an option for a hard worker like me who is great at content and might succeed in USMLE where he failed on MCAT. Or is it too similar and enough critical thinking that I'd be setting myself up for failure.

Or should I just say **** the money and be happy to be a podiatrist and do surgery? I've shadowed it and I like it a lot. But the money hurts not because of the money but the opportunity cost, the YEARS, tuition AND low salary relative to other people who go to school that long. Now I realize that statement may sound pompous because there are many PHD students in awesome fields who go to school 7 years and only pull down 90K to 150K so who am I compared to them. Who do I think I am that I'm better than them? Not even close. I know so many of my peers are smarter than me I am just a hard worker.

So please if you understood what I'm writing I appreciate the time to read it and look forward to any responses good or bad. I love criticism because it helps me see my faults better that I may be overlooking. Thanks for you time.

Oct 19, 2017
Edgeville W18
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
You might want to shorten up this post a bit if you want more replies. You sort of spilled out your stream of consciousness.

@Goro would be able to answer regarding your academic competitiveness for DO (OP is URM w/ balanced 495, 3.5c, 3.6s).

Regarding Pod: If you like it, I don’t see why this is a bad idea.

Regarding SGU: I don’t have experience with this, but you might be correct that MCAT is more critical thinking and USMLE more content-based. That being said, many people are able to get their MCAT scores to jump 20 points - it’s just a LOT of work. It’s probably worth trying to do better on the MCAT (even if it takes an extra year) and going for a US school. I don’t think you are far away from being competitive at some schools anyway.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
OP has already asked and answered this in several post.

The answer is very simple: take the mCAT when you are 100% ready for it,a nd if you can score 505+, then DO schools are doable.

Score a 510+, and MD is doable.

Podiatry will take you with a 495, from what I gather.

So, you're going to have to make up your mind.

That smacking sound off in the distance is the lips of SGU, slobbering at the idea of another gullible mark.

DrStephenStrange

OMS-II C/O 2022
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere I like
Status
Medical Student
Even new schools won't go that low. My school is a new school and averages ~501. The lowest MCAT I have seen is a 498. You're gonna need to retake that MCAT.

Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile

Rogue42

2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Advice from someone with a 496 MCAT Acceptance

Take a read.

*EDIT*
***I just read your post after linking that thread. I still think you should read it for you own benefit, but also i have some comments in general***

Doing this for the money is a waste of time, even if you're making a crap ton of money. In order to rake in the large sums that some of the top surgeons make, it requires minimum 9 years and max of like 12-13 depending on residency type / fellowship. That is a lot of time, energy, and money SPENT, trying to earn a dollar. Do this because you LOVE it (you might end up hating it). Do it because you cannot see yourself doing anything else.
Also, PhD students do what they do for the money that they do it, again, because they LOVE it. Are you seeing a pattern yet? Good. I am glad you are paying attention.

Furthermore, you are right, it is a long-shot for MD, but DO is more than just primary care if you work your tail off.

Do NOT go to the Caribbean if you can help it. 50/50 sounds great unless you are on the wrong side of that 50%, and I can guarantee you that everyone goes in thinking just like you, "I WILL succeed." AND then still fail.

You know, there is this thing called PA school where you go for 2 years, and can become a surgical PA and make 150k if you really want to get the most out of little school, good pay, and surgery.

Last edited:
OP
T

ToeTag1999

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
Oct 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
Even new schools won't go that low. My school is a new school and averages ~501. The lowest MCAT I have seen is a 498. You're gonna need to retake that MCAT.

thank you to you and Goro for replying. Yeah I mean I cannot imagine it's even worth applying with 495.

I kind of know exactly what I need to do (study hard and retake) I guess I was just hoping to hear something like there's XYZ program out there that would take you with subpar MCAT and solid GPA because you're URM. BUT this MCAT was wayyy too subpar. I know even a 500 is pretty subpar. Didn't mean to waste time and space here.

The thing that sucks is I really really like Podiatry and think it suits me I just know the salary return for the time, tuition is really bad. I mean there are def PA that will make the same (or more) money and FIVE less years of schooling. It's a tough pill to swallow despite my interest in the field. But there's a reason the Pod standards are so low.

That prob sound like "why don't you just go for PA" well the thing is I am the type who wants to be the lead person with autonomy in my section and the surgery appeals to me. So I would never go for PA over podiatry despite the much better economic results.

Rogue42

2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2017
Status
Medical Student
thank you to you and Goro for replying. Yeah I mean I cannot imagine it's even worth applying with 495.

I kind of know exactly what I need to do (study hard and retake) I guess I was just hoping to hear something like there's XYZ program out there that would take you with subpar MCAT and solid GPA because you're URM. BUT this MCAT was wayyy too subpar. I know even a 500 is pretty subpar. Didn't mean to waste time and space here.

The thing that sucks is I really really like Podiatry and think it suits me I just know the salary return for the time, tuition is really bad. I mean there are def PA that will make the same (or more) money and FIVE less years of schooling. It's a tough pill to swallow despite my interest in the field. But there's a reason the Pod standards are so low.

That prob sound like "why don't you just go for PA" well the thing is I am the type who wants to be the lead person with autonomy in my section and the surgery appeals to me. So I would never go for PA over podiatry despite the much better economic results.
Do you understand what autonomy means exactly?

OP
T

ToeTag1999

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
Oct 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
Do you understand what autonomy means exactly?
since you're asking I assume I don't. I haven't shadowed any PA but I just assume their job is to follow doctors orders since they are called assistants.

To me autonomy means the ability to independently diagnose and write prescriptions with no intervention. If PA can do this.....take care of a patient, diagnose and treat/prescribe meds to patient without any doctor intervention then to me that is autonomy. And if they can do all that then I will reconsider the profession.

OP
T

ToeTag1999

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
Oct 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
since you're asking I assume I don't. I haven't shadowed any PA but I just assume their job is to follow doctors orders since they are called assistants.

To me autonomy means the ability to independently diagnose and write prescriptions with no intervention. If PA can do this.....take care of a patient, diagnose and treat/prescribe meds to patient without any doctor intervention then to me that is autonomy. And if they can do all that then I will reconsider the profession.
actually you know what you can close this thread. I've been researching jobs non stop and where I live (NY) the salary for a GENERAL DENTIST is twice what a podiatrist gets in 4 years vs 7 years. OMG. And there is still surgical dentist who probably make even more tho I suppose that's also 7 years too but they probably make 500K vs 150K.

I'm not a huge fan of teeth. But **** it if I can make 2 to 3 times the salary I'm very happy to pursue Dentist. Forget MCAT, SGU, DO and Podiatry I've got a solid GPA I'm gonna study my ass off for the DAT and hope for Fall 2021. If I'm a complete failure tho I'd just go with podiatry and be bitter about money for rest of my life.

Am I gpa competitive for Dental School with an average DAT score? I don't even know anything about the DAT so research begins tomorrow.

TBH I don't think I will truly LIKE any job I do so might as well try to make as much money as possible and spend it all.
My Mom always said money makes the world go round, there is nothing more important than 1 is family and 2 is money.

She would say Go ask a homeless bum if there is anything in the world more important than money.

So option A is dentist pursuit with a strong DAT. Go for the green.
Option B is podiatry and do what I have a fetish for but live with being lower middle class.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrStephenStrange

OMS-II C/O 2022
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere I like
Status
Medical Student
Don't go into a profession for the money. Go because you would love to see yourself practicing it. Everything else will fall into place. I see far too many threads about people hating their jobs and hating their lives because they went in for the wrong reasons. Don't make that same mistake!

Rogue42

2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Don't go into a profession for the money. Go because you would love to see yourself practicing it. Everything else will fall into place. I see far too many threads about people hating their jobs and hating their lives because they went in for the wrong reasons. Don't make that same mistake!

Bro, this dudes a troll. Don't waste anymore time.

Palmyra

2+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2016
Status
Medical Student
@ToeTag1999 If you are choosing a career based off money STAY OUT OF THE HEALTH PROFESSIONS! Do not consider medical, dental, physical therapy, or any other profession where you have to care about a person. It may sound mean, but really it's the kindest thing you can do. Medicine will change over the next 50 years and we need an abundance of people who care about their patients and not their wallets. Also, from a financial perspective, medical/dental school is a terrible idea. There are a ton of jobs in finance and tech that pay WAY more for WAY less work, I know because I had one. The only good reason to go into medical school is because you want to be a doctor - not just make a lot of money, but you want the entire job of being a doctor.

If you do want to be a doctor and I misunderstood you - look at a post bacc program with a linkage or SMP.

Ho0v-man

2+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2014
Status
Medical Student
You make some good points about tuition, pay, and opportunity cost. However, podiatrist tuition is markedly cheaper than DO school on average. As far as surgeons go, podiatrists work far fewer hours than other surgeons with much less call. So it’s kind of logical to be paid less with less tuition and better work/life balance than your colleagues.

If you want to be a podiatrist then do it. It’s literally lifestyle hours surgery that will always be in demand since we live in an age of pediatric type 2 diabetes. If your ego is too big for that then don’t bother with any of these fields bc you need to flush your ego down the toilet for 7+ years minimum to be a doctor.

Oct 19, 2018
Status
Medical Student
Uhhhh OP's other thread that was similar to this was closed. I recommend you all taking a look at why it was closed.