Any chance with a 7 on verbal and just starting to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tristan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks for checking this out. Listen, I got a 7-10-10 last august and I'm barely turning in my secondaries. I don't know if it's even worth it to apply so late in the game. Also, I know people have gotten in with 7s before. If so which schools did they get into so I can apply there before it's too late. If you can, just tell me how it is, and tell me what my chances are. I would really appreciate this. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

hey...

i got a 6 on verbal, and have had two interviews so far.....just an example that scores/GPA aren't everything. The one disadvantage that you have is the timing of ur application, since everything is rolling....

i definitely think you have a shot, but just make sure you apply to lots of schools through middle to lower tier as well.

Do you have EC's and good LOR's?

hope this helps...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're talking UUtah- they have a cutoff of 7. Are you a URM? Is there a reason your verbal is low? Is this the first time you took it? Anyway, I'm a URM, and English was not my first language, and I ended up getting accepted with V7, B11, P8 to 6 schools and counting. I did everything to make my app as strong as possible before applying, including submitting my AMCAS app as soon as possible and finishing secondaries quickly, etc. I also have lots of ECs and have other factors to make my app as strong as possible.

Answer the question the first poster asked you...

Tell us about you EC's...

Your scores/GPA are good enough to get you into med school...but applying late is really going to hurt, unless your EC's will make you stand out

Thanks for your replies. I really don't know how strong my ECs are, but I have over 100 hours of hospital volunteer hours and about 20 hours of shadowing. I am fluent in Spanish and Tagalog (my first language), and I did reasearch in Organic Chemistry for 1 year (didn't get published). I don't think I could be considered a URM, but I am a minority with a 3.65 overall and 3.42 science. I hope this info will help. Oh, my writing sample is a whopping M the first time and an L the second time. Thanks

Since Tagalog is your first language I'm assuming you are Pilipino? I am Pilipino as well and I don't think we are considered URM. Not sure how being Pilipino plays on admissions committees' decisions. It is getting late to be sending secondaries in. You still have a chance this cycle so I would get them in ASAP. However, realize that your chances would have been greater if you had sent your stuff in earlier. So don't fret if this cycle isn't fruitful for you. I hope you get in this time around. If not, make sure to have your AMCAS verified in June next time. Timing is also important.

Good luck!

I really don't know how strong my ECs are, but I have over 100 hours of hospital volunteer hours and about 20 hours of shadowing.

are these your only EC's?

I got a 7 in verbal and have two interviews, one at Drew/UCLA and the other at UC Davis.

Of course, my GPA was kind high (3.92) and I had two 12's in the other two sections.

I think its possible, but its just that you are applying relatively late. Especially for the East Coast schools, that review applicants rather quickly, I think your best bet it to save your money, and apply next year. Good luck, and you can get in!

What about a 7 in PS? I just recieved 4-5 secondaries.. am I still competitive?

10V, 7PS, 9BS, R

:confused:

Originally posted by lakewill
What about a 7 in PS? I just recieved 4-5 secondaries.. am I still competitive?

10V, 7PS, 9BS, R

:confused:

If you received 4-5 secondaries that means youre pretty competitive, or the schools you applied to are a-holes.

Well, I think for two of the schools (GWU and Drexel), everyone receives a secondaries.

The other ones said "qualified applicants" in the email.