Any chance with a VR-6 ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AF1892

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I know you're all sick of these types of quesitons, but do you guys know ANYONE how has gotten into a decent school with a MCAT (26) with a Verbal-6 ? Considering everything else is very competitive?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I don't, but I think there are some posters on here that got in with that score (for some reason I'm thinking of someone at UNC-Chapel Hill, but I could be wrong). I'm sure people have done it, but in all honesty, if you think you could bring your score up, it probably would be worthwhile to take the MCAT again. As I've mentioned on another thread, the application process can be very draining, financially and mentally, and if you don't get in, you'll probably have to retake the MCAT anyways, and reapply. I'd rather retake the MCAT, and only apply once, but that's just my opinion. Good luck.

I know someone with a 27 and 28 total that got into MCP Hahnemann.... :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok.....let me tell you my story about my experience with a 6 in verbal. As long as everything else is good, I am pretty confident that you can get into medical school somewhere. However, really competitive schools are pretty much out of the question. Here are my stats.

6V
10PS
10BS
N Writing

3.89 GPA at Michigan State Univ. (Physiology)

Extra-curriculars:
Phlebotomist for 3+ yrs
3 semesters vol. in hospital
1 semester vol. in community
45 hrs shadowing an osteopathic physician.

I am a Michigan Resident

Schools I was rejected from w/o interview:
UMich
Dartmouth
PCOM
NYCOM
Rochester

Schools I interviewed at but are still on their waitlist:
Loyola

Schools I was accepted to:
Wayne State
Michigan State (MD)
Michigan State (DO)
KCOM

So, as you can see.....my state schools were good to me. The bottom line is that a 6 in verbal is not the end of the world. I too contemplated taking it over in August last year, but I am SO glad that I didn't. In the end, it might have hurt me worse b/c my science scores might have slipped.

Good luck everyone,
--jimmybee

now I have a ? for everyone!
I have a 7 in vr, with 9's in the other two. My overall is ~3.6, with science GPA ~3.8.
I did research and even a presentation at Michigan Academy for the research. I have shadowed physicians ,and all that stuff.

I was thinkink about retaking the MCAT in august, because I was interviewed at the only two schools I applied to, but got waitlisted at both.
Wayne state (detroit) and MSU.

I really dont want to retake the test, but to make my application look better, so next year, I wont be waitlisted.

I'm still hopeful that I'll get in this year, but you never know.

Thanx :D

Molecular Bio Guy.....
I think your scores are pretty competitive and I am surprised that you didn't get in. You are a MI resident right? I would bet that something in your interviews went wrong and you are just unaware of it. You may, however, want to retake the MCAT if you are absolutely sure that you can do better on it. Also, make sure that you apply to MSUCOM. It is a great school and numbers-wise you should be a lock.

Good Luck,
--jimmybee