Any chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetsaja

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
By the time that I graduate and apply to med schools, my stats will prob be a little above 3.35 overall and 3.21 science. I plan on taking the mcat in spring and hoping to do well on it, but doubt I will get a 35+. I have done lots of volunteer work, but it's all hospital/soup kitchen that kind of stuff, nothing extravagant like helping out in a different country. Do I have any hope for MD/DO? Would taking a class or two during the application process be pointless? Should I apply to the caribbean instead or look into other careers :(???

Members don't see this ad.

Do I have any hope for MD/DO? Would taking a class or two during the application process be pointless? Should I apply to the caribbean instead or look into other careers :(???

Yes.
No.
Yes; show some resilience man.

If you can get an MCAT score of 26-27 or better, you'd be a reasonable DO medical school candidate. Taking additional classes in upper-level science could help if you get As and report them in update letters, as recent excellent grades may be needed to prove to adcomms you can succeed in their science-intense curriculum.

Hospital and soup kitchen volunteerism is fine, if it's been consistent over a period of time.

You've been on SDN long enough to appreciate that going to a Caribbean school is not your best option. If you'd like another, less-selective, option to consider, look into podiatric medicine, which also uses the MCAT in their admission process and has similiar prerequisites. There is a subforum here on SDN where you could investigate this career possibility.

Hey answered your other thread on the main page... I just got into the MD school of my choice (OOS) with your cGPA and a lower sGPA (see my MD apps). I didn't take any time off. It's possible for you to do the same, but you need to make sure the rest of your app is as close to perfect as you can get it. If you want a shot at MD, you need to kill the MCAT. You also need to show that you truly want to be a doctor through dedication to service/clinical ECs. Research doesn't seem to hurt either. Try your best and when the time comes, look at your chances on the LizzyM spreadsheet to see if your GPA/MCAT combo makes the cut at any MD schools. If not, decide if you want to be a DO and apply accordingly. Best of luck :luck: