Any chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prospective Doctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I submitted my AMCAS back in July and have already submitted almost all my secondaries. Just received my MCATs:
4vb, 7ps, 9bs, Q

English is not my first language. This is the first time I took the MCAT. However, I believe even if I take the second time, I'll still have hard time on the verbal. On the practice exams, I was only able to complete 5-6 passages of 9 within the allotted time. My GPA is 3.88 and have decent ECs. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!!

Members don't see this ad.

hey ur gpa is great , i dont recall anything about ur ECs but with ur mcat, if you have the money then apply to low tier schools, and dont forget about DO schools, too but u should consider retaking, even if english isnt ur first language, i think 4 is too low, but this is just my opinion.

good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd bet a 4 is too low. If I were on an admission committee and I saw a 4, I'd think that either a)this guy isn't all that bright, b)this guy can't test well or didn't study at all or was drunk when he took the test, or c)this guy can't read English very well. I think all of those things could really kill your application.

oh, the 7 and 9 seem a bit low too

You'll have quite the battle getting into medical school with a combined MCAT of 20. That's not going to cut it. If you had a low verbal but high sciences, then that's a different issue. But your scores are low across the board.

Hey Prospective Doc,

I have to agree with the others that a 4 in Verbal is too low. I think you just need to keep doing more and more verbal passages. Don't use English isn't your first language as an excuse that you are destined to do poorly on the verbal section! English isn't my first language either, but I was able to pull off a 10 on verbal after doing hundreds of verbal passages. Please don't give up your dream of being a doctor. If you want it bad enough, it will happen.

Nolan

You don't have to be smart at all or don't have to read and understand ENGLISH well in order to get a higher verbal score.

The key is in understanding the nature of the verbal passages, after you understand what they are looking for, you could just skim through the passage and answer the questions without even looking back on the passages for the answer.

Your chances are extremely low with those MCAT numbers. Perhaps you should take some time off, study English like hell, retake the MCAT, and apply again. Your English might have affected your performance in the other two sections as well...

The best way to prepare for the verbal section of the MCAT is to read, read, and read voraciously. Don't waste time on "People" magazine, but go for good writings from the Atlantic Monthly or the New Yorker.

English is hard but can be conquered. You absolutely can do it. Good luck.

Very low chances, sorry to say. The average score across the board is around 8. A 4 is quite a bit below, statistically. I recommend studying hard and retaking it.

Prospective doctor... the first time I did the MCAT I got a 5 on verbal.... second time a 7... now I have a 7,10,10,Q that I'm applying with... and I am still worried about my verbal... listen with a 4 it is going to be really hard to get in BUT I HAVE SOME ADVICE.... apply to McMaster in Hamilton (Canada) or to Ottawa (Canada) they don't need or look at MCATs.... with a GPA like 3.88 you should have a good shot at Ottawa ... I think they accept a few foreign students... check with McMaster....

My advice to you is to redo your MCAT though... but check out those two schools, they are in Ontario... close to the states
:)

Are you an URM? A book from AAMC listed the average MCAT scores for accepted URM to be 21. Don't be discouraged, apply anyway!:)