Any Chemistry or Physics in Med School ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kobebucsfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT tests us on general chemistry, organic and physics. But how much important r these classes in Med school.

Like Physics, do Med students ever use physics ?

Members don't see this ad.

Physics and Chemistry are important for understanding high level biology. Which I always found interesting, because they are usually taught in reverse in high school.

Electrical systems are important to understand for med school, because that's how we understand blood vessels. Do you need to understand the law of gravity? Not so much.

I can't remember where you learn Acid/Base stuff in undergrad, but that's really important to understand as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's what you need in med school...

Acid/Base stuff (it's SUPER important).
Some really basic physics concepts for blood flow and imaging.
Maybe some physics in ortho/MSK type stuff...

If you go into Rad Onc or Rads, there will tons of physics.

In general though, a lot of the stuff you do in undergrad is pretty much useless.

In general though, a lot of the stuff you do in undergrad is pretty much useless.

FML! Physics 2 kicked my butt

I agree with acid/base, but outside of Physics for a particular specialty, do you really feel Physics is even important? I feel like the physics associated with physiology can be learned without even taking physics and is completely intuitive.

I always felt like a good grasp of the big picture concepts in O-Chem helped make Biochemistry a lot easier.

I agree with acid/base, but outside of Physics for a particular specialty, do you really feel Physics is even important? I feel like the physics associated with physiology can be learned without even taking physics and is completely intuitive.

I agree 100%

The only subjects that really helped me (in my opinion anyway) were Cell-Bio, Anatomy, O-Chem, and Physiology.

Nothing you learn content wise in undergrad will affect how you do in medical school. Undergrad is about learning how to study, how to think, how to problem solve. Physics teaches you how to do the latter two.