Any Chicagoans hear from SIU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbs152

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an email days after my AMCAS was verified (6/19) that I should hear word on a secondary. I remember seeing on this site that SIU favors in state applicants from central and southern Illinois. Has anyone from the Chicago area gotten a secondary?

And also, what the hell is with that policy? Then does UIC favor applicants only from the Chicago area? Seems kind of strange to me, considering they both get funding from the whole state.

Members don't see this ad.

sbs152 said:
I got an email days after my AMCAS was verified (6/19) that I should hear word on a secondary. I remember seeing on this site that SIU favors in state applicants from central and southern Illinois. Has anyone from the Chicago area gotten a secondary?

And also, what the hell is with that policy? Then does UIC favor applicants only from the Chicago area? Seems kind of strange to me, considering they both get funding from the whole state.

Yes. In fact, SIU probably gets MOST of its funding from Chicago. Go figure.

sbs152 said:

Haven't heard from them and I'm a preferred applicant. I was verified later than you though.

As for the favoring, do a search and you shall find your answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in a rural county west of Chicago, was verified on July 14 and received my secondary July 26.

The secondary comes in the mail--if you haven't gotten it yet, I would call.

One person in the last three years who lived above I-80 has gotten into that school. They take almost exclusively students from central and southern illinois to fill the healthcare void in those areas of the state

Its sucks, but thats their policy.
I know a guy from the ST. louis suburbs that got an interview, but he lied about his permanet address being where he was from school.

if you read the class thread in the allo forum there are a handful of northern Illinoisans that are/have matriculated to SIU.

I just know the majority are from central/southern IL.

Where is my frickin SIU secondary!!? :mad:

Yeah, I called them and found out that even though I submitted in late June, will not be reviewed for secondary until Mid-Sept. Apparently they take their time.

I wasn't verified until 8/8 and I just got mine today (8/28). The secondary is kinda rough for a state school. Lots of essays. I'm not too hopeful about getting into SIU, since I live in a Chicago burb. Lets hope they understand...

I also had a question about the secondary. It says in the letter that accompanies the app that "Upon file completion you will be invited for personal interviews in either Springfield or Carbondale...." Does this mean everyone who gets a secondary is invited to interview once their app is complete, or they mean they'll further screen to decide who to interview (like every other school...)

Yeah, I called them and found out that even though I submitted in late June, will not be reviewed for secondary until Mid-Sept. Apparently they take their time.

Jackie, I think they must have something wrong with this. It's crazy that you'll get yours months later...how far north in IL do you live ;)?

What's the number for the admissions office?

Edit: I found it and called them up. They're very nice about informing you on the status of your application. The next time the committee will meet to review applications is September 26th, so don't expect any applications sent out until then.