any cicerone out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vitaliano333

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping someone could guide me through the application process, which is somewhat confusing to me. First of all, I need to decide which programs I want to apply to. Besides the Freida website, what other sources do applicants use in making their decision (word of mouth, the various lists of IMG-friendly hospitals all over the www, US News and World Reports, etc.)?
Second of all, I need to directly contact each program I am considering. Do I do that via e-mail?Do I request for a brochure? If so, do they generally send them overseas or should I set up an address in the States? Also, I'm guessing that I should ask if they grant interviews to IMGs. Correct? Should I also give a little background on myself when making the request? And should I already start sending out for info now or is it considered too early? Also, when is the best time to apply, since I've heard conflicting opinions about it.
Any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Most apply through ERAS, the electronic application service. In your case, check out the ECFMG website about ERAS. Don't waste your time asking for applications. Oftentimes they just don't respond to those requests.

Try posting this in "Rotations and Residencies", it might get more "play" from those IMGs who are already accepted into American programs.

Good luck!

First of all, register with ERAS at <a href="http://www.aamc.org" target="_blank">AAMC</a> . You can apply for a token from 24 June onwards.

Secondly, decide on programs. Apart from word of mouth and the IMG lists you mentioned, directly emailing the programs asking for their policy regarding IMGs including visa sponsorship (if its necessary) should be sufficient. The tone of the programs' response is often indicative of their attitude towards IMGs. background on yourself is not that necessary.

Once the ERAS post-office opens in September, you can send them your documesnt, and you're all set. As soon as you have everything together, apply. then wait for interviews. That simple.

Most programs now have web-based brochures. Very few will mail you brochures.