Any Clinical Laboratory Scientist out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pyra

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could you share some insights into being a CLS? What does your job entail, how is this different from a lab tech? How long is the training for and how did you get your license? I tried to search the web on information, it seems that you need a bachelors to apply to a CLS program, is that correct? Also what is the pay like?

The reason I am asking is because I am having trouble finding a job due to my major (Bioengineering) and a lack of experience in microbiology and biochem lab skills.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, we have this program at Arizona State University. Actually I am majoring in it right now. It is a pre-professional. A CLS performs analytical tests to aid physicians in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases. you don't necessary need a bachelor degree to applied, but you need some requirements, icluding all your college requirement for graduation. The program itself takes 18 months to complete if you go full time, including clinical rotations. You get a bachelor degree at the end. You also need to take a national certification test in order to be certified as a CLS.
If you need more info go to http://lifesciences.asu.edu/cls/

it provides you with limited patient contact. i just started my clinical rotation this week. the first week is composed of phlebotomy and i have seen so much this week. being out on the floor reminds of why i want to be a doc. i know its only been one week but i feel that i have seen so much in this week. i kind of don't want to start immuno on monday now and just stay on the floor, j/k. CLS are an important part of the healthcare system. i think the clinical experience will help me get a long way in the process.