Any College Athletes majoring in Pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesL1585

TheAntiSavior?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey... Well Im a former college athlete (Football @ Louisiana Tech 03-05) and quit well for a few reasons, but pharmacy was one... so anyone else college athletes out there... and if so If you get into pharmacy school what you going to do about your athletics, I guess you can do both (maybe not) depends on the individual... so tell us whats up!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
there's a guy in my husband's professional pharm class that's an athlete.. I think he's the only one though. So it is possible you can do it.

JamesL1585 said:
Hey... Well Im a former college athlete (Football @ Louisiana Tech 03-05) and quit well for a few reasons, but pharmacy was one... so anyone else college athletes out there... and if so If you get into pharmacy school what you going to do about your athletics, I guess you can do both (maybe not) depends on the individual... so tell us whats up!

I was a sponspored skateboarder a few years back (98-02) until I fractured my humerus, and collar bone. Those were the good days...But my body cant take the constant pounding at 24..man im old.

we had a lot of baseball players in my class

Ran track until I tore a muscle...so I was forced to limit my athletics to flag football..haha. My team was rated #1 in the country for Men's college 7-on-7 flag football....but, no matter how much I fancy it up it is still flag football we are talking about. So, my athletic days will probably not continue in pharmacy school.

NuclearTech said:
Ran track until I tore a muscle...so I was forced to limit my athletics to flag football..haha. My team was rated #1 in the country for Men's college 7-on-7 flag football....but, no matter how much I fancy it up it is still flag football we are talking about. So, my athletic days will probably not continue in pharmacy school.
i dont know....

we had some pretty competative intermural teams...

it probably depends on your school as to whether or not you can participate in those type of things

OK, so totally serious question here about this topic. Do you guys and gals think that maybe there aren't a lot of college athletes applying to pharmacy school (or med school/grad school in the sciences) because of the culture of athleticism? I'm really only speaking from personal observation, but at the state school I went to, most of the athletes weren't encouraged to take the harder science classes because of a) the time commitment involved and b) the need to maintain a certain GPA to stay within NCAA requirements. Also, many of the jocks that I had classes with had, shall we say, a laissez-faire attitude when it came to tests/groups/etc.- they did what they could just to squeak by, and in general didn't seem to care about the classes too much. Although many of them were nice, some of them were pretty arrogant because they were the sports superstars, and expected the rest of us to pick up for their slack.

I realize that I'm opening a can of worms here and I'm NOT trying to insinuate that college athletes are dumb. Just trying to point out that different students have different motivations... and the resulting lower GPA associated with these motivations probably bars many from even considering applying to pharmacy/med/grad school.

*I think I'm going to duck for cover now*

Moxxie said:
OK, so totally serious question here about this topic. Do you guys and gals think that maybe there aren't a lot of college athletes applying to pharmacy school (or med school/grad school in the sciences) because of the culture of athleticism? I'm really only speaking from personal observation, but at the state school I went to, most of the athletes weren't encouraged to take the harder science classes because of a) the time commitment involved and b) the need to maintain a certain GPA to stay within NCAA requirements. Also, many of the jocks that I had classes with had, shall we say, a laissez-faire attitude when it came to tests/groups/etc.- they did what they could just to squeak by, and in general didn't seem to care about the classes too much. Although many of them were nice, some of them were pretty arrogant because they were the sports superstars, and expected the rest of us to pick up for their slack.

I realize that I'm opening a can of worms here and I'm NOT trying to insinuate that college athletes are dumb. Just trying to point out that different students have different motivations... and the resulting lower GPA associated with these motivations probably bars many from even considering applying to pharmacy/med/grad school.

*I think I'm going to duck for cover now*

I think that that's definitely true. But there are definitely exceptions to this rule.

There's a guy that I'm graduating with this year who is a football player. He's graduating with honors and has already been accepted to medical school.

I just think a lot of athletes might become less concerned with academics because the spend so much time honing their physical skills and not their mental ones. It's easy to get caught up in that 'superstar' mentality and forget about school when people are constantly telling you how wonderful you are and no one expects much out of you academically. I don't think all athletes are set to fall victim to this line of thinking but beating it takes someone with a certain amount of discipline and focus.

Ohh I know plenty of athletes @ my school who are pre-med track, this girl im kinda dating now is Phys. Therapy and she runs track. And the guy who's the most exceptional playedd football with me. 4.0, Most well rounded person you'll ever meet in your life and graduated in 2nd Quarter of his Junior year (and of course on his way to med school). But yea I asked pharmacy cause its completely different, like people could get into professional school in 2 years and be eligible for sports for 2-3 more years so thats kinda complicated, being in pro-school and being an athlete! So big ups to anyone who's able to juggle both. And hey! Im a college athlete, or was and my brain isn't clouded with my muscles. Just givin u a testimony lol. Ohhh yea and the guy with the flag football team.. where u go to school at?

JamesL1585 said:
Ohhh yea and the guy with the flag football team.. where u go to school at?

I go to the University of Missouri-Columbia.

I go to a small Div. II school and for the most part not many athletes major in anything besides business or physical education. my husband is a wrestler and was originally a wildlife biology major but changed to PE because of all the practice he would've had to miss! I, on the other hand, played varsity softball for 2 1/2 years and quit because I was missing too much class! But we do have the occasional athlete who goes on to bigger and better things (one of my classmates in calc was a 4.0 gpa, starting soccer player who is going to med school)

I ran track at Texas Tech for my entire undergrad. The only reason I didn't get my pre-reqs and go to pharmacy school was because the Texas Tech Pharmacy school obviously isn't in Lubbock...and that might have been a little tough :) I will agree with some of the previous posts. Many athletes would have never been able to get into college if it weren't for athletics. So to them, they are there to first, be an athlete, and second, make high enough grades to be an athlete. But there are exceptions to those that are there for an education. Plus, being an athlete doesn't hurt if you are invited for an interview. From experience, it makes for good conversation from the interviewer.

JamesL1585 said:
I was a track and xc runner and did well school, but with harder classes and application deadlines, I decided I had better stay focused on my future career rather than athletics. I do miss it a lot though!