Any comments from current or past GPR Residents on these GPR programs....?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ak007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was wondering if any current or past GPR residents had any comments or comparisons regarding pros and cons of any of these GPR Programs mentioned below:

Montefiore, Broxn NY
Palmetto Health Richland, Columbia SC
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham AL

These are some programs I strongly considering so any comments would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yo, I'm currently doing a GPR at Montefiore. Here are some nuggets:

HUGE PROGRAM

- faculty: hit or miss, some which teach you alot, others you want to throw into an autoclave and leave for the day. There are alot of them, its a big program.

-facilities: usually very nice, all digital (no paper charts) which a technorat like me digs.

-Most dreaded rotation: its called CENTENIAL. its a clinic where the grad pros. and OMFS attendings practice. THey throw 1 GPR in there and overload/overbook/doublebook/treat like crap him or her until 5pm. Then they stop for a minute and do it again until about 6:30. THis rotation is the only blemish to this program in my opinion. If they took it out completely the program would be AMAZING. its only for 2 weeks but it sucks, bad.

-Month long anesthesia, emergency medicine, internal medicine rotations. Thats 3 months where you say bye bye to dentistry completely. SOme people hate that, some dont mind and others (who like OMFS) like it.

-On call is chill. once a month usually (sometimes twice but who cares other programs are usually 4-6 times a month). This has to do with the fact that there are ~30 residents.

ALl in all its a great program. You get what you want out of it. Little exposure to hard core esthetic stuff, good exposure to implants. You build speed and you WILL be confident managing medically compromised patients.

any more questions let me know, hope this helps.

Hey- past resident here

I will "ditto" everything which was said in the last post. Overall, it's a great GPR- you get the most bang for your buck-

Some things not mentioned:
#1-There is a $5000 tuition (which I think is a load of BS)-
So this is deducted from the $47K you make- So you really are making $42 K for the year. Not bad...You can either pay the $5k upfront or they will take $200 off of each paycheck to cover it.

#2- There is evening clinic twice a week- You'll end up averaging evening clinic ~1/week. It goes till 7:30ish. It's not bad...but if you are looking for a GPR where you're out at 4 everyday, this is NOT the GPR for you.

#3- TONS of lectures (almost like an AEGD). Morning lectures, usually every morning at 8am. and Evening lectures once a week from 5:30-7:30pm.

So you do have a lot of committment with this program. But like my fellow resident already mentioned, it's a great program! You can do implants (probably will place 5-6), and can also do your 20 cases of IV sedation to get your certificate in sedation. TOTALLY worth it since this costs a lot of $$$$$ to get outside doing a residency.

Off-site rotations are ok. Anesthesia is pretty boring- It is what you make of it- If you want, you can do everything the Anes. resident does and then some...you just need to find the motivation....

Motivation is the big key with this residency- If you are motivated to find great cases, sell cases to your patients, then the potential of doing some amazing dentistry is there....it's yours for your taking!!! If you slack off, that's ok, but you wont 'find' the better cases if you know what I mean.

I Highly recommend this GPR to anyone looking to do a GPR in New York!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad to hear that it's a good program. I just came off of an interview for a program that was completely uninteresting to me...waste of time and money.

Anyway, I'm interviewing there on Wednesday. Is it pretty chill or do I need to start stressing now?

Any impressions of Mount Sinai, Long Island Jewish, or Brookdale?

Thanks!

Hey Mocska, can you give us some feedback on the programs you interviewed at? Im interested in NYC programs.
Thanks
Paul

What exactly is the difference? I'm just looking into doing one.

Thanks

Not to steal the thunder from the OP, but I curious if there are any residents past or present for the GPR at Stony Brook and Long Island Jewish as well. Any input if you have knowledge of the programs is greatly appreciated.