Any Community College kids here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the_labrat

Hot Tamale
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I want to know how many of us are undertaking our pre-pharmacy courses at a community college.

I spoke to a credentials analyst at UWyo, who looked at my course catalog and pronounced all courses I was going to take good to go!

Anyone else looking at taking the system on with community college classes?

Members don't see this ad.

You have one here~~~I was graduated from a community college~and all my pre-req were taken there.

I have a BA in Psych, but I ended up taking all of my sciences courses at a community college after I graduated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took about 60 percent of my pre-reqs at a CC

the_labrat said:
So, I want to know how many of us are undertaking our pre-pharmacy courses at a community college.

I spoke to a credentials analyst at UWyo, who looked at my course catalog and pronounced all courses I was going to take good to go!

the_labrat said:

I am a community college student too. I heard that if you are coming from a community college, you dont have a better chance to get into pharm. school. Is that true ? :confused: I am really scared for that news.

phuongvu said:
I am a community college student too. I heard that if you are coming from a community college, you dont have a better chance to get into pharm. school. Is that true ? :confused: I am really scared for that news.
I'm guessing that it depends on the school..

Seveneighty said:
I'm guessing that it depends on the school..

I think it depends on the school, too. However, I will take all my science classes at a university, just to make sure... :rolleyes: Many former students told me that.

I got all of my pre-reqs finished a a community College. I don't thinkit will hurt you chances of getting in unless it is a bad CC. So long as your GPA is good dont worry about it.

Good to know I'm not the only one. Thanks for responding everyone :)

im taking some of my pre-reqs at a CC and going to finish up the rest after i transfer. how do you know if the CC you're going to is good or not?

:confused:
ttran01 said:
im taking some of my pre-reqs at a CC and going to finish up the rest after i transfer. how do you know if the CC you're going to is good or not?

Most of the pre-reqs at any CC are considered at lower divisions, so ...I dont really kno whether they are good or not. :confused:

oh i know pre-reqs at a CC are lower division, but at a university isnt it considered lower division too? like bio/botany/zoology, general chem 1 and 2, o-chem, anatomy/physiology. the only upper division ive seen is microbiology which is lower division if taken at a CC...i hope that made sense

I was told by the credentials analyst at UWyo that they get a lot of applicants from my community college, and in general they are very well prepared for the professional program, sometimes as well or even better prepared than kids from CSU due to the small class sizes that are offered. That's why I opted for a CC. Smaller class sizes.

Members don't see this ad :)
ttran01 said:
oh i know pre-reqs at a CC are lower division, but at a university isnt it considered lower division too? like bio/botany/zoology, general chem 1 and 2, o-chem, anatomy/physiology. the only upper division ive seen is microbiology which is lower division if taken at a CC...i hope that made sense

Well at the 4 yrs university I attended, intro classes like bio and zoo, general chem 1 and 2 are lower division (1000 level - freshmen type of courses), but ochem and microbiology are considered upper division (3000 level - typically for juniors). Anatomy/phys is 2000. It depends on the university. Indeed there are some community colleges that prepare their students very well and their academic standard is no less than any unversity, if not better. But there are also some CC that are easier than high school.

Gizmo said:
I have a BA in Psych, but I ended up taking all of my sciences courses at a community college after I graduated.
I took most of my science classes at community college after getting my BAs from UF. It didn't seem to hurt me with admissions but we'll see if prepared me well for actual Pharm D classes.

I have two associate degrees from a community college and I was accepted to both pharm schools that I applied to. ALL of my pre-pharm work was done at this community college.

Chris

to know whether the CC you're going to is good, find out how high is the rate of transfers from the CC to a good 4 yr university as well as whether or not the good universities will take any classes taken at the CC. my CC is top 5 in the state because it has a very high rate of transfers to good public universities and the public universities accept every class taught at the CC

That's nice, because if I do decide to go to CU-Denver, all the classes on my list are on the "guaranteed transfer" list. I heard the CC has to go through all sorts of hoops to stay on it.

freshbeatschris said:
I have two associate degrees from a community college and I was accepted to both pharm schools that I applied to. ALL of my pre-pharm work was done at this community college.

Chris

Hi Chris,
which cc did you go? I've graduated from UIC with business degree and when I met with admission officers at UIC pharm school, they made it clear that most of the candidates have B.S. in science. I was going to start my prereq at cc but I'm leaning more towards doing it in four year University. I guess it all depends on school but here in Oregon where I just finish my master's, OSU makes it very clear that they prefer all their works done in four year university. :( :(

pharmacia said:
Hi Chris,
which cc did you go? I've graduated from UIC with business degree and when I met with admission officers at UIC pharm school, they made it clear that most of the candidates have B.S. in science. I was going to start my prereq at cc but I'm leaning more towards doing it in four year University. I guess it all depends on school but here in Oregon where I just finish my master's, OSU makes it very clear that they prefer all their works done in four year university. :( :(

oh noooo.....OSU is one of the schools i plan to apply to in addition to the california schools.

Hi
I did most of my pre-pharmacy at a community college... took my assoicates and I am currently finishing up my BS before i apply to the pharmacy school... I figured that I should get all the degrees I could in case something happens... Community college is way cheaper and easier... it's the way to go!
;)
Good choice!

I got all of my pre-reqs finished a a community College. I don't thinkit will hurt you chances of getting in unless it is a bad CC. So long as your GPA is good dont worry about it.

How do I find out the ratings of the CC?

count me in as a CC student! labrat, i agree with u about the smaller class size situation. i think u learn better that way.

That's for sure. Plus, I just finished an interview for a pharm tech position, it's looking good....

I'm glad I'm going to have the pharmacy experience behind me when I go. I've heard it will make my application all the stronger.

Last year upon rejection to the Unversity of Iowa, one of the ASSociate deans told me in a roundabout way that my community college courses were not good enough.

There are better places to go if your community college credits are "not good enough".

Im a CC student right here. working on my 3rd year to get all my pre-reqs in. :)

As mentioned above some schools require courses taken at a four-year. Some courses that are required I haven't seen on the CC level. Biochemistry specifically, but some schools will only take upper-division Anatomy/Physiology courses as well. I took most of my courses CC, but I also am finishing up my BS before entering Pharm School.

All but one of my pre-reqs were taken at a community college and I was accepted to Pharmacy School! YEA for community college! :D