Any COMP students?....need housing information!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anniejojo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I'm going to attend COMP this year!!!
I'm wondering about how and when to look for housing....since I"m currently attend school in Philadelphia and won't be back to CA (where my home is) till around 6/10.
So, when should I start to look for housing, and any recommendation on where to live best if I don't have a car. (I might get one.)
Also, my home's in Tustin (Orange county), do you guys think it's possible to live at home and drive to school????

Thanks and Hi, everyone!
Anniejojo

Members don't see this ad.

Hi anniejojo,
I know a number of people who commute from various places in LA and OC.. some commuted more because they have settled families and houses though. I forget the direction of traffic on 57 in the morning, but my friend says that traffic is going south so perhaps driving up from Tustin wouldn't be too bad. If you could wake up early enough to beat traffic consistently for 8am classes, maybe it might be better to live at home.

There are several places around school to look into for apartments. Areas like Chino Hills, Claremont, and Diamond Bar will probably be about 750-850 for a single.. and if you shared with a roommate, I think it would come out to be between 550-650 for each person. Living in Upland might be a bit less.. and living in Pomona can get as low as about $670 for a single right across the street from school. Pomona isn't the best area, but I know a couple of females who live in the apt. complexes across the street from school. Perhaps it might be a better idea to find a roommate during the summer for an apartment in a nicer area like Claremont or Chino Hills... those seem to be very popular.

Just to throw out a suggestion, if you want more responses, you can certainly post in the COMP 2005 and 2006 message threads in this Osteopathic forum.. I think more people tend to read those. Good luck!

Hi Anniejojo,

Congrats on your accpetance! Unfortunately, we do not have on-campus housing (but from what I heard from my friends at other med schools, sometimes this is not a good thing). But there are two cities where most of the students at our school live. Chino Hills and Claremont are very popular. It is about a 5-10 minute drive to campus via local streets (yea! no freeways!). I live in Claremont and I absolutely love it here! It's a very safe community and the Scripps Colleges are in close proximity, which is where I prefer to study. The Claremont Village is usually within walking distance depending on where you live and there are lots of eateries and shops.

If you prefer to live close to school there are apartments within walking distance...I am sure if you ask some of the other posters from the classes of 2004 and 2005, they can tell you more about that.

As far as looking for an apartment, I started looking in May before the start of the semester. Our school has a roommate request service that I found extremely helpful as well as a list of apartment complexes around the vicinity that are popular among students. That is how I found mine! I am sure if you contact the Student Affairs office they can help you out or when you return to California, you can stop by the office and they will give you an apartment guide for the Inland Empire!

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

BTW, congrats first years on completing your first semester! It gets better from here, even though you have to face Dr. Bailes every day! :D

Kira-MSII
COMP Legendary Class of 2004!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!
Thanks for the information, guys!

Anniejojo

Ahhh Kiki2004, we meet again! Are you an officer in any clubs? I find that aside from the handful of MS-II's I randomly met or ones that I've met through programs/clubs/organizations, I don't get a chance to meet any new ones.. especially now. How're the pace of classes going so far for y'all?

Anniejojo- As Kiki mentioned, they do have the roommate matching service available. They eventually send out a survey for people to fill out and turn in. I believe these surveys get copied into a binder that people can sift through to find potential rooming candidates. Of course, another option you may want to consider is when more people start posting on SDN here for the COMP 2006 class, you could try and see if any of them are looking for roommates.