Any correlations: # sdn posts/wk vs. med school acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yogi Bear

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a random thought. I wonder if the people who frequent this board the most are also the ones who get acceptances to med school. i.e. Are SDNers above average people w/ so much time that they can devote valuable hours to discussing about med school, and would more posts = more acceptance letters? To ensure a consisting #, please take the number of posts u've made, and divide by # of weeks u've been at SDN (1 year = 52 wkss)[use # of post info and member since info]. Additionally, put what school u've been accepted to.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the 20 posts/week range. But I haven't gotten into any schools yet. Just worrying about getting an interview right now, actually. I think the only people who are getting acceptances applied in the summer. I submitted my AMCAS in October, so...

I'm not the best example of your theory... :D

Hmm... I am 6 posts/1 day, so lets say I continue on this posting spree - 42 posts/week and nada! What can I say.... stuck at work at midnight on a glorious Sat., SDN is my only solace!

Members don't see this ad :)
50 posts/week, but no acceptances. :( I took the August MCATs which slowed my application's being complete, although I submitted my secondaries reasonably early. 7 interviews, 2 of which are done, + 1 phone interview, though! The August MCATers can't really play your game yet, I don't think.

took the mcat 2 summers ago
but no interviews yet
submitted apps late
can't give stats either
(i can give you rejections though..heh)

so I'm at 296 posts, about 42 weeks as a member, so thats ~7 posts/week. I have 4 accepts; pritzker, vandy, case western, maryland.

i do think that SDN has helped me get early accepts, I don't know how I would have kept up on all the schools alternative procedures and such if it wasn't for this site. I know case and vandy both had alternative procedures that I found out about first from SDN. thanks SDNers!

1437 posts, ~104 weeks = 13.82 posts/week.

Number of acceptances: 7

Vanderbilt, Dartmouth, Johns Hopkins, UVA, Tulane, St. Louis Univ, WashU

Correlation does not equal causation.

Mossjoh

There must be some correlation: today is Sunday ergo no mail/e-mail from schools and there is a dearth of postings.

Come on guys, I'm supposed to be writing a paper, and I can't procrastinate without new postings...

Hmmm..I believe there's a selection bias here? You cannot correctly make conclusions in this situation without counting the number of acceptances among those who don't post here....it's a confounder :)...just the epidemiologist in me talking!

Joe

Oddly enough, the paper I'm procrastinating on is a stat paper. Yes there's selection bias here, but judging by the number of posts and invoking the CLT, we'd have a normal distribution...

21 posts/week jeez! I need to get a real job. 3 acceptances.