Any couples in med school together?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

u2ecila

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you and your spouse/ significant other are both in med school, how much will you see each other during the clinical years? Can you set it up to go on rotations together?

My boyfriend and I are engaged, we are applying to med school together, and we currently work at the same company together.

Anyone have a relationship with another med student? How's it working out?

u2ecila

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really see what the big deal is with being on the same rotations together all the time. Why do you have to spend 24 hours a day together? My bf and I are both going to the same med school next year and I'm just hoping that we aren't in the same dissection group and PBL groups all the time. Don't get me wrong, I love spending time with him, but every waking second together would just cause little fights all the time. Especially when the stress hits. But anyway, I don't really have an answer to your question, but I think you should just be grateful if you get into the same school. A lot of couples don't make it even that far, so don't stress out about something that is so many years away. Good luck though!

I'm in the same place as kygrl... my gf and I are starting med school together this fall. I would say most likely you cannot schedule the same rotations, but at most places you can plan a lot of MS4, so you could schedule vacation times at the same time. MS3 is usually a lot more structured and you have less choices in the matter (a generalization, not true at all schools). I don't think it'll be too hard. I mean if one of us is on obgyn while the others on surgery, there may be a month or 2 where we don't see each other much, but there are times in med school where you wouldn't see your SO even if they sat home all day waiting for you. So I think, even though we'll both be extraordinarly busy at times, it'll be nice to have support from someone who knows what you're going thru and in general, it will mean only good things for the med school experiecne. Good Luck.

A side note piece of advice. I found most schools to be very receptive towards either letters about your relationship (and trying to go to school together) AFTER at least one of you has interviewed or just bringing it up on the interview day. Also a number of schools were nice about allowing us to interview on the same day, so ask about that too. good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, I am dating one of my classmates. We are soon-to-be 2nd years. One more week!! It has worked out really well. We see each other every day in lecture but were in different dissection groups in gross and different labs for histo and neuro. Our situation is different from the other posters b/c we met at school, but have been happily dating for coming up on a year. What I enjoy most about dating another med student is the fact that when I am stressed and cannot spend time with him (exam time), he totally understands b/c he's doing the same thing. I never have to feel guilty about studying! Not to mention the fact that I have a great notetaker for when I skip lecture.

We have not talked about whether we're going to do rotations together or not. I suspect we will not. I do not want the two of us being compared by attendings.

My advice to y'all is if you two are competitive with each other, you may run into problems. Luckily for me, my boyfriend and I do not compete. He's the gunner, and I am the laid back one. Once you get to third year (assuming you're on different rotations) you will see little of one another.

Good luck! :wink:

my wife and i are both starting medschool this fall! i think it helps going through it with someone else. our biggest fear was not being accepted to the same school, but we were fortunate to get into a few of the same schools. as far as rotatioins go, i wouldnt expect to be on the same rotations as my wife. its probably better that way. if anyone has gone through this already let me know how it went.

grkbuckeye -
Did you specifically tell med schools that you two wanted to go to school together? Which schools did you get into together?
:)
thanks,
u2ecila

I am actually in the same situation as some of you above, and I was glad to read this post because I was wondering about some of the same things.

My girlfriend and I will be starting MS1 at the same med school next year. Its nice to know that we will have the first two years to spend a lot of time together before the hard stuff really gets underway.

I have a question though; do you think it will affect our relationships with our other classmates? Just something she and I had discussed a bit...

u2ecila,
no, we did not mention to schools that we wanted to go to school together. unfortunatley there is no "couple application" for med school like their is for residency. we had to apply totally separate and pray a lot!! unless you bring it to their attention, the only way they will recognize you are married is by seeing your files right next to each other (same last name). we were fortunate enough to interview on the same day at the same schools, so we didnt have to travel separate. we did NOT have the same interview committees at our interviews though, and one school had NO idea that my wife was also their interviewing there that day!! My interview committe was asking me what my wife did for a living!! i told them she was also here interviewing today and they had no clue that she was there being interviewed! i was told by one admissions director that most schools like to accept or reject couples together (this makes sense). one thing they DONT do is let the one in because the other got in. they have to many people applying to do something like that. as long as you have similar stats you should be fine. dont count on one to get the other in though. i know of a girl whos husband got in and she got waitlisted until they saw what her winter and spring grades were going to be like. oh yea, to answer your question, we decided to go to Midwestern Univ. in Chicago. we have family there and really wanted to stay in Chiago if we could. hope this helps.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by McEntrye:
•I am actually in the same situation as some of you above, and I was glad to read this post because I was wondering about some of the same things.

My girlfriend and I will be starting MS1 at the same med school next year. Its nice to know that we will have the first two years to spend a lot of time together before the hard stuff really gets underway.

I have a question though; do you think it will affect our relationships with our other classmates? Just something she and I had discussed a bit...•••••I HOPE it doesn't affect any relationships with our classmates. My boyfriend knows a lot of people that will be in our class because he attended the same undergrad insitution. I, on the other hand, know only him and know of about 3 people on this site. The way I see it is, if anyone doesn't like us simply because we are dating doesn't deserve my time so I'll just ignore them. We aren't the kissy feely type so hopefully it will help that we aren't all over each other between classes.