Any criticism of this school list? cGPA 3.6/sGPA 3.61 with 517 MCAT re-take

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CavsFan2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Completed secondaries end of July/beginning of August:

- in-state:
  • Ohio State
  • Cincinnati
  • Toledo
  • Wright State
  • NEOMED
  • Case Western
- out-of state:
  • Loyola
  • Dartmouth
  • Wake Forest
  • New York Medical College
  • Rochester
  • Indiana
  • Albert Einstein
  • University of Miami
  • Boston U
  • St Louis
  • Tulane
  • VCU
  • Georgetown
  • Drexel
  • Emory
  • UVA

One II so far from Cincinnati - what do you guys think of the rest of the list?

Also still have one secondary to send - University of Virginia. You guys think its worth applying there at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! Anyone else have any other comments/suggestions?

You have about 10 schools you can go in saying you have a reasonable shot at getting a II. In Ohio that's plenty: your many state schools will happily consider you with this profile.

I personally would keep IU especially if you are from the western part of the state. If you happen to be from the relative general Cincinnati region Id definitely add U of Kentucky btw. Being from the relative Akron-Cleveland region would help for NEOMED a lot. Being in northwest Ohio would help a good bit for Toledo. Unless you'd turn down your state schools and their tuition for NYMC and Drexel I'd remove those two

Its hard to say how UVA will evaluate those two scores but a few reaches in this case isn't an issue

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You have about 10 schools you can go in saying you have a reasonable shot at getting a II. In Ohio that's plenty: your many state schools will happily consider you with this profile.

I personally would keep IU especially if you are from the western part of the state. If you happen to be from the relative general Cincinnati region Id definitely add U of Kentucky btw. Being from the relative Akron-Cleveland region would help for NEOMED a lot. Being in northwest Ohio would help a good bit for Toledo. Unless you'd turn down your state schools and their tuition for NYMC and Drexel I'd remove those two

Its hard to say how UVA will evaluate those two scores but a few reaches in this case isn't an issue

I'm very close to Cincinnati (within 45 minutes) so I will consider applying to UK. Thank you so much for this advice. I'm really hoping to stay in Ohio, so hopefully I get an IS acceptance! I would love to hear of any other suggestions you're willing to lend me.

@GrapesofRath

So far, I've had 4 IS II's with 1 rejection and 1 waitlist - still waiting to hear back from the other 2 schools.

0 OOS II's out of the 15+ schools I applied to.

Any particular reason why the cycle isn't going as well as I had hoped for? I understand 4 II's is good, but I was hoping for some love from OOS schools as well. What could be holding me back?

Members don't see this ad :)
@GrapesofRath

So far, I've had 4 IS II's with 1 rejection and 1 waitlist - still waiting to hear back from the other 2 schools.

Any particular reason why the cycle isn't going as well as I had hoped for? I understand 4 II's is good, but I was hoping for some love from OOS schools as well. What could be holding me back?
Your application is consistent with getting into an OH school. OOS schools know this.
If you attended a private or OOS undergrad, there is still a good chance for an OOS interview, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
I think that your list was pretty good. But IU, UK and U VA would be donations. State schools favor the home team.

You might not have had much luck with IIs from having poor essays, and/or LORs. Ditto ECs. Also, being a 2x MCAT taker might be hurting you with some schools.

I'm very close to Cincinnati (within 45 minutes) so I will consider applying to UK. Thank you so much for this advice. I'm really hoping to stay in Ohio, so hopefully I get an IS acceptance! I would love to hear of any other suggestions you're willing to lend me.

I think that your list was pretty good. But IU, UK and U VA would be donations. State schools favor the home team.

You might not have had much luck with IIs from having poor essays, and/or LORs. Ditto ECs. Also, being a 2x MCAT taker might be hurting you with some schools.

I didnt apply to UK, and I went to an undergrad very close to UVA and visited often.

ECs may not have been outstanding, but definitely acceptable and I worked hard with the essays. I doubt those were the problems. I'm sure LORs were solid too. I think its just that a didn't have a strong connection with a lot of the other OOS schools I applied to. 1st MCAT score probably hurt, too.

Thanks for the input!

It's a possibility.

You would think that with such a big jump in MCAT scores (60th percentile to 96th percentile) that they would focus on the more recent score instead of averaging them out - who knows how schools have evaluated them.

You would think that with such a big jump in MCAT scores (60th percentile to 96th percentile) that they would focus on the more recent score instead of averaging them out - who knows how schools have evaluated them.
Some folks focus on the the first score since there is only one chance at a passing USMLE...
Averaging is more common, though.

Some folks focus on the the first score since there is only one chance at a passing USMLE...
Averaging is more common, though.

If you had an applicant with a 27 and 35 MCAT, which would you focus one? - just out of curiosity

Would you rather have someone with a 31 MCAT or a 27 and a 35? sorry for the questions, this is the last one I promise :laugh:
We don't look at them this way.
There are people we interview with a 31 and people we interview with a 35.
There aren't many people we interview with a 27.

Reactions: 1 user
If OP didn't retake the MCAT and he got a 517 or higher on first try what's a general list on what he'd apply to?

We don't look at them this way.
There are people we interview with a 31 and people we interview with a 35.
There aren't many people we interview with a 27.

I don't consider myself someone who represents a 27 MCAT score - after spending time studying on my own every night for a year and scoring a 35 on my re-take, I think I deserve to be considered above that initial score of 27. I hope ADCOM's could see that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I don't consider myself someone who represents a 27 MCAT score - after spending time studying on my own every night for a year and scoring a 35 on my re-take, I think I deserve to be considered above that initial score of 27. I hope ADCOM's could see that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
You will be considered in the pool of those who re-took a 27 and got a 35.
How this pool is viewed is very difficult to predict and varies significantly by evaluator.

You will be considered in the pool of those who re-took a 27 and got a 35.
How this pool is viewed is very difficult to predict and varies significantly by evaluator.
Is there any significance given to the difference of the two versions of the MCAT or is the prevailing opinion that an MCAT is an MCAT despite the changes to length and subject content?

Is there any significance given to the difference of the two versions of the MCAT or is the prevailing opinion that an MCAT is an MCAT despite the changes to length and subject content?
Differences will be found in the eye of the beholder.

Reactions: 1 users
@GrapesofRath

You're fine, there's no reason for concern/surprise. 4 IIs is in line with what's a reasonable expectation for an app like this by early Dec.
There's a reason 3 out of 4 matriculants in Ohio end up staying IS for med school. Being in that group isnt an indictment on the quality of your app
Your particular combination of MCAT scores makes it more difficult to really predict/fine tune the specific type of OOS school most likely to show interest here.
3.7/509 is the MD matriculant average in Ohio, 4 IIs with this profile is a solid spot to be in. Just give it time.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it