any crucial organic chem mechanisms to know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cerulean

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm asking more about the organic II reactions (vs. SN1, SN2, E1, E2, etc.). I know that aldol condensations should be well understood and maybe Diels-Alder. What else is there that should probably be well understood (i.e. learning the mechanisms vs. just memorizing key reagents and the products that result)?

I'm wondering what types of reactions are likely to have a passage focused on them vs. being a stand-alone or being a single question in a bio-based passage focused on something else. From practice exams, I remember passages mostly about Grignard synthesis of alcohols, Diels-Alder, and aldol condensations.

Members don't see this ad.

cerulean said:
I'm asking more about the organic II reactions (vs. SN1, SN2, E1, E2, etc.). I know that aldol condensations should be well understood and maybe Diels-Alder. What else is there that should probably be well understood (i.e. learning the mechanisms vs. just memorizing key reagents and the products that result)?

I'm wondering what types of reactions are likely to have a passage focused on them vs. being a stand-alone or being a single question in a bio-based passage focused on something else. From practice exams, I remember passages mostly about Grignard synthesis of alcohols, Diels-Alder, and aldol condensations.

BUMP

I have seen the hydrolysis of carboxylic acid derivatives come up on practice tests. They usually give you a radioactive molecule of water with the O marked, or a base or an acid with the O marked and say where it will end up in the final product. Granted, to answer that you dont have to know every step just the general idea.

maybe basics like electrophilic addition; and also i keep seeing ether synthesis reactions.