Any current Baylor students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nickster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advise on parking, I've heard that it can be a problem? I'll be coming from the N/NW area around Kirby and interested on where to park. Is the south extension lot the best or are the other options? Is it possible to park at a rail or bus terminal? Any advise on parking will be greatly appreciated or anything else on BCM.

BAYLOR 2011

Members don't see this ad.

you're just coming there for an interview? then just eat the $10 for parking and park in the garage attached to the med school. it's max $10 per day and you don't need to deal with the confusion of the extension lot.

I might be a current Baylor student, but they waitlisted me. Ouch.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can park in the Fannin South lot at Fannin and 610 (behind Sam's) for $2 and ride the metroRAIL for $2 ($1 each way).

But yeah, that'll cost you $4 anyway, won't be as safe, won't be as easy, and will cost you valuable time.

I'd pay the $10 for med center parking

Thanks, med center lot it is. I'm excited!!!!

I've been using the South Extension Lot for about 2.5 years now and it works out pretty well for me. It's $60 a month. During peak hours, the buses come pretty often (a max wait of 10 minutes). Between the hours of 10 and 2, it's more infrequent, but you get to know when they are expected. A huge plus is that you also get to park in any med center garage for free between the hours of 6pm and 8am (much better than the hours that you can park in Baylor's front lot as a student), and all weekend. This has been key on clinical rotations, when you have to come in on the weekend, or work a 7p-7a night shift. The front Baylor lot is not always open to students, even during hours they say it should be. Plus, when it's nice outside, you can easily walk from the lot to Baylor in about 13 minutes.

If you're just coming for an interview, though, go with a med center garage - definitely the most convenient.

ms. A,

is there a wait list or something to get a South Ext. Lot permit or can you just sign up easily whenever? I didn't think it would be necessary, but I moved off the beaten path this year and clinics start pretty soon...yikes.

$60/mo. + ability to park at will on weekends sounds pretty nice...

ms. A,

is there a wait list or something to get a South Ext. Lot permit or can you just sign up easily whenever? I didn't think it would be necessary, but I moved off the beaten path this year and clinics start pretty soon...yikes.

$60/mo. + ability to park at will on weekends sounds pretty nice...

Nope, no waitlist. You just go to the main parking office, at the bottom of Garage 2, in the breezeway where Bertner goes under the garage, and sign up. I think you have to about something like $10 for the card, and then would have to pay that again if you lost it or something. Pretty minimal. You can set up an auto pay to be charged to your credit card every month, too, so you don't have to think about paying a bill every month on time.

Having a reliable parking plan is very key during clinicals. What's especially nice is that the White Shuttle starts running at 4:30am, which is necessary when you need to be there at 5:00 on surgery to pre-round (don't believe anyone who says we don't pre-round!). Other Metro buses, like the 87, don't start running that early.