Program-Specific Info / Q's Any current or past LIU Brooklyn OT students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

othopeful93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you tell me how you like the program and if you have any tips for the group interview? It's my first choice school and I am ridiculously nervous.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still waiting to hear from them too, I wish their deadline was sooner so we could hear back already. As of now I'm going to nyit which starts the end of may but housing is ridiculously expensive and liu would be so easy to travel to being from staten island.

I'm hoping to get an interview but it's so competitive so any advice from someone already in the program would be helpful !

I'm still waiting to hear from them too, I wish their deadline was sooner so we could hear back already. As of now I'm going to nyit which starts the end of may but housing is ridiculously expensive and liu would be so easy to travel to being from staten island.

I'm hoping to get an interview but it's so competitive so any advice from someone already in the program would be helpful !

I really don't want to be the bearer of bad news but they said their only interviews are next Friday and Sunday, 3 sessions. I have one. Maybe you'll hear this week? :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't want to be the bearer of bad news but they said their only interviews are next Friday and Sunday, 3 sessions. I have one. Maybe you'll hear this week? :/
oh wow really? their deadline JUST passed ! when did you get invited for an interview?

oh wow really? their deadline JUST passed ! when did you get invited for an interview?

I applied in September and they told us they would start looking at applications on the 10th of January and when the interviews would be. I got invited the 13th.

I applied in September and they told us they would start looking at applications on the 10th of January and when the interviews would be. I got invited the 13th.
oh wow that's not a good sign for me then haha at least i'm accepted somewhere. good luck to you!!

I attended the interview session this past Friday (February 3). I am anxiously awaiting to hear back, if anybody hears back can you let us know here? Thanks and good luck to you all!!

Anyone get an email telling you to keep an eye on your mailbox for a letter?

I got the email like 5am this morning saying the decision is in the mail? I'm losing my mind. Why couldn't they just tell me on the email? :nailbiting: But they did say that they would send out decisions within 1-2 weeks after the interview.

I got the email like 5am this morning saying the decision is in the mail? I'm losing my mind. Why couldn't they just tell me on the email? :nailbiting: But they did say that they would send out decisions within 1-2 weeks after the interview.
That is so exciting! But also extremely nerve wracking :p I would be losing my mind, too. You have no idea how often I refresh my emails, it's not healthy haha! if you don't mind my asking, what date did you interview?

I interviewed on Friday (the 3rd) also. I have been refreshing my emails like crazy too. I have been trying to keep my mind distracted but to be honest it is difficult. Now I feel like putting a tracking device on the mailman so I know when he is going to pass by.

Last edited:
I interviewed on Friday (the 3rd) also. I have been refreshing my emails like crazy too. I am have been trying to keep my mind distracted but to be honest it is difficult.
Wow, they got back to you so quickly! I would take it as a good sign :thumbup: I agree, I think all of my friends and family are tired of hearing about this. You think that you'll relax once your applications are in but it's the opposite- the waiting game might be more stressful than getting the applications together.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope it is a good sign! Good luck to you too! I know right waiting is the worst... who knew

Definitely let us know! I could have sworn they said they'd email us.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm still waiting... I haven't got anything in the mail or response to any of my emails. :bang: Anyone heard anything back yet?:shrug:

I got in! We should make a fb group!

Congrats to all of us who got in!!!! I know how hard we have worked :highfive: I started crying at my desk when I saw the email and a coworker came over to check on me :soexcited:

As of now I am but I'm still waiting to hear back from NYU, Columbia and Seton Hall.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is anyone for sure attending? I most likely will be.
I will be attending LIU. Did you receive information from the admissions office about how to send the deposit? I haven't received anything yet. I also tried setting up my LIU portal so that I can send the deposit through there but it's not allowing me to activate my account. :/

Did any one receive an email from admissions on how to send the deposit?

I had trouble activating mine but contacted the IT department and they fixed whatever issue I was having. I'd call them to help you activate it!

Did any one receive an email from admissions on how to send the deposit?
I haven't gotten anything yet. I have been in correspondence with Holly who gave me instructions to activate my account, but it is not working! I have been in correspondence with her and the IT Dept but have not fixed the problem yet. Started feeling anxious about getting it in on time for the deadline but Holly has reassured me.

I'm not sure if it's the same issue I was having but make sure you give IT your ss# student ID number and also your birthday. For some reason my birthday didn't match what they had in the account so I couldn't get in. Just figured I'd mention it in case you're having a similar problem

I just got an email saying that it's a common issue and will be fixed soon and she'll push the deadline for those with the issue and not to contact IT now so I'll probably sit tight lol.

Will anyone else be paying a deposit to keep their spot while still waiting to hear from other schools?

Will anyone else be paying a deposit to keep their spot while still waiting to hear from other schools?
I am doing that, my boyfriend made a really good point- will I really miss the $500 when it is 5 years down the line and I am an OT? It's a significant amount of money for me right now but I will absolutely be going to LIU if I don't get into my top choice.

Does anyone know approximately how much the program will cost? The part undergrad/part grad is making it difficult to calculate.

Someone posted something super helpful in regards to the cost, but I can't find it now!

Does anyone know how the course curriculum is set up? Is it full time, 8-5? or are classes split up

I posted something a bit ago but learned it was inaccurate after talking to financial aid as well as a current student that my RA who is in the program here at Stony put me in contact with! Also if anyone else got a scholarship, it doesn't cover summers :uhno:. FA said that grad tuition is $1,178/credit and will increase next year at about a 5% rate, which makes it about $1,237/credit. If it increases again at a 5% rate (they didn't say) by the time we are grad students it will be about $1300/credit. The current student said that we are considered graduate student the Fall of second year. She also mentioned they add a 1500/semester "scholarship" then on to every student to help on costs.

Doing the math I'm getting without including university fees etc:

UNDERGRAD:
Undergrad semester rate is currently $16,839
Fall 17 + Spring 18 = $33,678
Summer 18 (FA website states summer tuition at 1,051/credit) $1,051 x 14 credits = $14,714

GRADUATE: (using 5% increase from this years tuition)
Fall 18 - 18 credits x $1,237 = $22,266
Spring 19 - 17 credits x $1,237 = $21,029
Summer 19 - (FA website = $1,155/credit) $1,155 x 14 credits = $16,170
Fall 19 - 15 credits x $1,237 =$18,555
Spring 20 - 13-17 credits x $1,237 = $16,081 - $21,029

TOTAL ~ $142,493

Feel free to check my math. It's a big number and is pretty daunting to me personally, but also we have to think about that if this is what we plan on spending the next 40+years of our lives doing, it has to be worth it, right? :dead:;)

Thank you so much! It is quite a large number and housing will be pricey too but you do have to think about the big picture after graduation!

Hey all! I just got my acceptance letter... the tuition/housing cost is throwing me off. That is ALOT of money! Is anyone definite about LIU? I might still apply to Mercy College and see if i get in, idk if its cheaper. Is anyone getting off campus housing/on campus and is looking for a roommate??
Please email me at [email protected] :)

Who is definitely attending? We should start a facebook group or something along those lines.

I just gave up my spot, good luck to those on the waitlist!

Hey guys im interviewing in a few weeks! Do you have any tips? What questions did they ask? Thanks!

Anyone currently in the program willing to share a bit about their experience so far? My deposit is due tmrw and Im still not sure about the program.

Hi i was wondering if anyone is still active on here and could post what their first semester schedule looked like . As well as the start date of the program Thank you !

Hi guys, sorry it's been a while.

The course sequence listed here is accurate. The start date for the first semester is after labor day in September, this is the only summer without classes, so work or travel as much as you can; however there is word that we only have class 3 days a week over the summer.

So far, we haven't had any Friday classes. This seems to be a trend in the program, but I am not sure if it will stay that way as we go around what our professors' schedules are. I deleted the price estimate thread from before I attended as it proved to be inaccurate. Last semester I was billed $17,519, before financial aid, scholarship, TAP, etc. With scholarship and aid, I end up paying about $12k a semester, which is about on par as to what I would have paid at my undergraduate school.

My experience so far overall, if I was to step back, would be positive. The complaints i have about the school are complaints I would almost 100% have about ANY school I attended.
Things I find myself complaining about:
  • All of these classes/assignments seem pointless except for (insert current science course: Neuro for fall, Anatomy for spring) - The accreditation process by AOTA mandates that programs have to teach and give just about the same exact assignments/coursework. Each assignment we have has a AOTA standard title and number requirement on it that it is meeting. What I have determined this year is that likely we could combine a lot of these courses into one, but that's not my or the school's decision, it's AOTAs. I find myself complaining that the speed is too slow in every class except in the science classes. HOWEVER, my friend is at downstate and she had to take anatomy her first summer and her neuro course is only 6 weeks this spring. I am very grateful for my "slow" schedule now. And this is just my opinion that it is slow because my undergraduate degree was very rigorous that for the difficultly level it is to get into OT school, this is sort of easy and I found that frustrating. But again, compared to other programs I am really thankful for how LIU breaks up the course sequence so that I don't feel like I'm drowning, because there are definitely weeks that I feel like I am.
  • Administration is a little overbearing - As in, if your grade in the science courses drop below a 70 for an exam they mandate that you go to the group tutoring sessions. This seems annoying: "why do you care if I fail i don't need a babysitter." They are trying to help us. They are invested in our success and do not want us to fail out of the program which is why they monitor grades closely and ask us to go to tutoring. Most people end up going even if it isn't mandatory for them so there isn't a stigma about going, it's just annoying to be told you have to do something. But again, many programs don't offer tutoring so this is another thing I am grateful for. At the end of the program, these professors are going to be your peers, the fact that they are so invested in your future is nice even if it's in a parental way.
  • Financial Aid is useless unless you go in person - complaint you could say about basically any school
  • One of our professors doesn't like our class and doesn't try to hide it - I have a lot of professors in undergrad I could say the same thing about, so I do not think that this is an LIU thing. Annoying yes, but makes for entertaining class gossip afterwards. Every other professor we've had so far aside from the one has been extremely accessible and helpful. Even our neuro professor that we spent last semester complaining about his dad jokes and life stories when we really wanted to spend time on the material, we have admitted the we will miss next year when we do not have him again.
  • Campus is small, on campus food choices are limited - You're there for grad school, not for the full college experience which you hopefully had in undergrad. Because there isn't a million things to do for the undergrads, I don't feel like I'm missing out when I'm in class or doing homework because xyz comedian or band is on campus (because this doesn't happen). We have little festivals which is nice but they are poorly advertised. There is a Subway, a cafe, red mango and pete's coffee on campus. Starbucks is right next to the train station. Delkab Market is across the street with a target, trader joes and probably 30 different food vendors. I gained about 10 pounds when we discovered that last semester. We are close enough to NYC that a few people go to midtown and back during class breaks.

I picked LIU over Rush University because I felt that the students at my interview could tell me more about what OT was than the students at Rush, which is an OTD. I stand by my decision. The grass is always greener where you water it. If you go into a school expecting to hate it, do not expect to succeed in school. I love my class, I love my professors, and for the most part, I like my school. But the experience is what you make of it. I'm in OT school, and that's exactly what I wanted and I am making the most of being close to NYC by picking up a job with a great special needs agency and working closely with my professors to make connections for after graduation.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask me. For future students about deposits, if you can afford it put deposits down at every school you are thinking about; it's good to have options to make the best decision for you