Any dental hygienists out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StarryOrchid

Pre-Dental
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I have been a dental hygienist for about 3 years now. I fell in love with the profession and want to go all the way. I currently have an associates degree, but going back to finish my bachelors. Any other hygienists take this route to dental? Would you say it was an advantage to getting into dental school? Just curious. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am not a hygienist, but most of the people I know who are entering dental school this year were all dental assistants, so being a hygienist probably looks just as good or even better.

I have heard of dental schools not counting credits from hygiene school so you probably will need a full bachelors though.

Just don't forget you still need to rock the DAT and have a high GPA, this past cycle was brutal.

good luck!

You still have to have a high GPA and DAT score. If your stats are within the range you see here on SDN then it is definately an advantage. As you know, there's a huge difference in education between an assistant and a hygienist, and if you are licensed in a state with anesthetic and/or restorative it's even better.