Any differences to residency directors in IMGs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trader56

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before - I wasn't sure just how to put this into a search, so thought I'd see what the current thoughts are.

My questions are these:
Do residency program directors in the U.S. make any distinctions between those who've attended med school outside the U.S.?
For example, are those attending school in, say, Europe, viewed differently than those attending in the Caribbean?

Or does it all really boil down largely to Step 1 scores, and U.S. clinical experiences and evaluations?

Thanks for any replies!

Members don't see this ad.

There are two types of grads:

1) USMG

2) ALL the rest (DO, carib, anywhere else) :D

The brief answer is yes and no.

Some DO make distinctions between the various types of foreign grads - ie, foreign nationals who have trained abroad in their home country may be preferred in some cases over a US citizen who trained abroad because of the assumption that the latter couldn't get into a US school.

The above presumes the PD doesn't have troubles/issues with visas that the former student would have.

In addition, some PDs will prefer US students who train in Western countries over those who trained in the Caribbean, Mexico or 3rd world countries.

Bottom line is that in general it will make little difference although some faculty will not place as much stigma on *some* foreign grads as others. Your scores, letters, etc will be the most important factor.