Any disadvantage to not being a full-time student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rom3o

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I transferred from a community college to a four-year institution this semester and in doing so, switched from working full-time to part-time.

This coming spring semester, I have signed up for 3 classes thus far (11 credits), 2 of the classes are biology classes (Animal Biology and Biology of Microorganisms) with labs and the other is a Spanish class (Gateway to Advanced Spanish). The labs eat up a lot of my time, so I am finding it hard to find a slot to add another class (honestly, I think another class will be too much reading/studying).

It would be different if I was working on the weekends, unfortunately that's not the case, I am attending school in the morning, work in the afternoon, and then class again at night on some days. The only class I'm contemplating of putting into my schedule is an upper-division English class which is science specific -- 14 credits total. I could probably find a BS 1 credit course to make it 12 credits but it would probably be a waste of time.

Should I stay at 11 credits? The only disadvantage I can see of not being full-time is ineligibility to get onto the Dean's list. Any others?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Some might wonder if you can handle the full-time load in med school. Given that you did a couple year at community college, you really need to prove that you can make it "with the big boys".

Thanks for the response. I guess I might as well sign up for that English course, I'll just have to really crack down on my studying habits. Oh, and set up a cot in the library :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It may not apply to you, but if your health insurance is through your parents it may require you to be enrolled full-time to remain covered.

I transferred from a community college to a four-year institution this semester and in doing so, switched from working full-time to part-time.

This coming spring semester, I have signed up for 3 classes thus far (11 credits), 2 of the classes are biology classes (Animal Biology and Biology of Microorganisms) with labs and the other is a Spanish class (Gateway to Advanced Spanish). The labs eat up a lot of my time, so I am finding it hard to find a slot to add another class (honestly, I think another class will be too much reading/studying).

It would be different if I was working on the weekends, unfortunately that's not the case, I am attending school in the morning, work in the afternoon, and then class again at night on some days. The only class I'm contemplating of putting into my schedule is an upper-division English class which is science specific -- 14 credits total. I could probably find a BS 1 credit course to make it 12 credits but it would probably be a waste of time.

Should I stay at 11 credits? The only disadvantage I can see of not being full-time is ineligibility to get onto the Dean's list. Any others?

Thanks.

If you are only part time for one semester, it's not much of a liability. If you only attended part time for most of your college experience and you were not working full-time, then you might raise an eyebrow or two.

Also keep in mind that in transferring from community college to four-year might take one semester's worth of adjustment and having part time status (as long as it doesn't kill your insurance etc), might be a wise idea so that you can get all As and devote yourself fully to your studies. In that case, just go full time after that one semester.

I think it depends on the school.

My university medical school requires that you maintain a full course-load (5 courses = 15 credits) for at least one year of your undergrad.

Thank you all for your responses. I have decided to go full-time with 14 credits. I pay for all of my expenses, fortunately I still have health insurance coverage with only 20 hours/week.