Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Any DO match into an allopathic program?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by CuriousDoc, Mar 21, 2002.

1. CuriousDoc

CuriousDoc Member

Hi there!

I'm a second year DO student at UMDNJ and I was wondering if there are any DO students out there who matched into an allopathic programs? And if you did, did you take the USMLE? Was your score above average? Was the program you matched into one of your top choices?

Any insight would be great! Thanks in advance.

CuriousDoc

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dcdo

dcdo Senior Member

Hello,

There are plenty who matched into MD programs, 32 in my class alone(about half the class went DO). I matched IM at my #2 choice. I did take the USMLE, which seems to be a good idea in general at least for California and got a 240. If you are interested in a competitive field you definitely should take it.

Good luck.

4. tedsadoc2002

tedsadoc2002 Senior Member

I matched at an allopathic program in NY for Emergency Med. No, I did not take the USMLE and I agree with dcdo, if you want to go to California, USMLE seems to be a must.

5. migraineboy

migraineboy Member

I matched anesthesiology in an allopathic program (#3 pick). Never took the USMLE and I was never asked about why I didn't take it by any program director. I don't know anything about California.

6. Freeeedom!

Freeeedom! Senior Member

I matched in Emergency Medicine and DID take the USMLE. It seemed to help. Interviewers said it showed I was committed to the field by going the extra distance when I "didn't have to".

7. miami

miami Junior Member

I was offered a spot outside of the match at a competitive MD program in IM. My girlfriend was also offered a spot in Peds. I decided not to take the USMLE. I scored high (97 percentile) on the COMLEX and thought the USMLE would not be worth the trouble. I think it depends where you plan to apply and what specialty. For IM, peds, and FP I don't think it is necessary. Surg and Rads it is necessary. However, I do think where you plan to apply will influence if you should take the test. I found the New England area (Boston) to less "DO friendly" and NY to be most "DO friendly". If your goal is to crash a top notch University program you may be better served taking the USMLE. I hope this helps

Miami MSIV NSUCOM

8. drusso

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I matched at Mayo for PM&R. In general, most PM&R programs are very familiar with DO's and understand the COMLEX. Still, I took the USMLE I and II and did reasonably well. I was more confident at interviews knowing that program directors could compare me directly with other applicants.

9. DO2be2002

DO2be2002 Junior Member

I matched into OB/GYN in California (my first choice program). I would advise you to take the USMLE. This will keep all of your options open. I had several PD tell me that they will not offer DOs interviews unless they have USMLE scores.

10. slindsay198

slindsay198 Member

Congrats to you all! Are any of you aware of any DO students matching into Ophtho residencies...DO or MD. I'm pretty interested in this field and i know it's really competitive, so i was just wondering about any stats on DO matches. thanks a bunch. Congrats again!

11. pags

pags Senior Member

One guy at NYCOM, 2nd in the class, matched at North Shore Manhassat for Ophtho.

12. Seabiscuit

Seabiscuit Junior Member

I matched to OB/GYN @ Rush! :)