Any DO schools that you wouldn't recommend to a minority student?

DrThanos

Jun 25, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
    Just wondering if there are specific anecdotes people have on why certain schools aren't as friendly to be in. Not even necessarily due to the school but the surrounding environment as well.

Mr_Irrelevant

Extraordinarily average OMS-II
    2+ Year Member
    May 20, 2019
    1. Medical Student
      LibertyU Pres tweeted a picture of a klan member and person in black face as a "political poke". Others will defend this university as one person shouldn't define an entire university. But a university that allows this man to remain in this position is not one that I would step foot anywhere near. Since, the post has been deleted and an apology has been issued (still no excuse for ignorance). A simple google search does the trick if you would like to see for yourself.

• Wow
      • Angry
      Reactions: 4 users

Goro

10+ Year Member
      Verified Expert
      Silver Member
      Gold Member
      Jun 11, 2010
      Somewhere west of St. Louis
      1. Non-Student
        Just wondering if there are specific anecdotes people have on why certain schools aren't as friendly to be in. Not even necessarily due to the school but the surrounding environment as well.
        I feel uncomfortable recommend schools, or, at a minimum, tell people to go in eyes open, to those schools in rural areas. The schools themselves may be diverse and welcoming, but the local communities may not be.

But sadly, even large cities may be minority unfriendly, like Baltimore or Minneapolis.

Reactions: 1 users
        About the Ads

TragicalDrFaust

2+ Year Member
      • May 27, 2017
        southwest
        1. Medical Student
          I feel uncomfortable recommend schools, or, at a minimum, tell people to go in eyes open, to those schools in rural areas. The schools themselves may be diverse and welcoming, but the local communities may not be.

But sadly, even large cities may be minority unfriendly, like Baltimore or Minneapolis.

Currently live in Baltimore. I don't necessarily disagree with you but am curious about why you would single Baltimore out more than any other city. I'm an openly queer woman of color and have had an easier time here than anywhere else my hometown or other cities where I've lived, though I acknowledge the experiences here are different for other groups here and am open to hearing about them. The city is still experiences the consequences of historic redlining and therefore remains segregated in parts. It's also being gentrified fast enough to make your head spin, pricing out working class Black and white people. I see those as the biggest racial and class issues here. I'm interested to hear your perspective though.

Goro

10+ Year Member
          Verified Expert
          Silver Member
          Gold Member
          Jun 11, 2010
          Somewhere west of St. Louis
          1. Non-Student
            Currently live in Baltimore. I don't necessarily disagree with you but am curious about why you would single Baltimore out more than any other city. I'm an openly queer woman of color and have had an easier time here than anywhere else my hometown or other cities where I've lived, though I acknowledge the experiences here are different for other groups here and am open to hearing about them. The city is still experiences the consequences of historic redlining and therefore remains segregated in parts. It's also being gentrified fast enough to make your head spin, pricing out working class Black and white people. I see those as the biggest racial and class issues here. I'm interested to hear your perspective though.
            Freddie Grey comes to mind.

Reactions: 1 user

TragicalDrFaust

2+ Year Member
          • May 27, 2017
            southwest
            1. Medical Student
              Freddie Grey’s murder was a tragedy and the result of corruption and bias within Baltimore police ranks. But it is a disservice to other victims of racial violence to only recognize the few cases that have caught national attention in recent years. If your list represented cities and towns where Black people had been murdered by the police, few would be excluded. Yes we have a problem in Baltimore. But so does this entire country. And the Baltimore DC metro area is known to be thriving hub of Black excellence that I’m proud to live in proximity to. Can’t speak on Minneapolis but I live here in Baltimore and, as I person of color, I can say that it is markedly less racist than anywhere else I’ve been. I don’t speak for all POC but that’s my experience.

D

deleted480308

Freddie Grey’s murder was a tragedy and the result of corruption and bias within Baltimore police ranks. But it is a disservice to other victims of racial violence to only recognize the few cases that have caught national attention in recent years. If your list represented cities and towns where Black people had been murdered by the police, few would be excluded. Yes we have a problem in Baltimore. But so does this entire country. And the Baltimore DC metro area is known to be thriving hub of Black excellence that I’m proud to live in proximity to. Can’t speak on Minneapolis but I live here in Baltimore and, as I person of color, I can say that it is markedly less racist than anywhere else I’ve been. I don’t speak for all POC but that’s my experience.
                Baltimore is a horrible town, it’s not excellence at all.

About the Ads
                This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.