1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Any DO surgical interns in allo programs out there?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by WVSOMStdntDr, Apr 10, 2007.

1. WVSOMStdntDr

WVSOMStdntDr OMSII
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hello,

I am interested in setting up 4th year rotations at allopathic schools to get experience in Surgery and possibly land a residency at one of these schools. However, many of the allo schools websites state that my school must be accredited by LCME in order for me to apply and mine is not (WVSOM)!

If you have any experience with this, are currently a (DO) surgical resident or know of some good all programs that accept DO's, please let me know!

Thanks everyone!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JonnyG

JonnyG IN the hospitals....
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sometimes it only takes an email to the programs to find out they accept DOs but don't list it on their website. Every major hospital system inphilly and in the area has on their website that they take DOs

4. goooooober

goooooober Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

First, its good that you have already figured out what you have to do if you want that allo surg program. although I am not a current surg intern, I will be in two months at a university allo program. The first thing is dont go by what web sites say. Most places will have an application online that you can fill out. Call the program, confirm the availability of the rotation for out of state students and apply. Do not mention that you are a DO. If you make it an issue, some will make it an issue. Just fill out your app and send it in. Most will give you what you want, but you have to apply really early, say in January or Feb. As far as which specific programs will allow DO rotators, well it depends if you want community or university. Also the region that you are looking to go to. I mean there are well over 200 surgical programs in the country so a list is not practical. give us some more info about what you want to do, community or university, what specialty do you want to go into eventually, what region of the country are you looking at, are you willing to pay a fee for the rotation, and which specific programs do you have in mind for residency. University of Penn (free), Temple (free), Johns Hopkins (for a fee), Mayo (free), Akron (free), University of Michigan, and etc are just some of the places you can go. I have gone to several programs myself, but if you want specifics PM me. Peace out money and good luck.

5. Pansit

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ??? What do you mean do not mention if you are a DO, wouldn't they know from which school you went to. If the website states they accept only LCME accredited schools, would you not be obligated to ask about osteopathic schools, because if you dont state you are a DO and they find out later, it could be problem, no?

6. Taty

Taty Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think you need to call them...

7. goooooober

goooooober Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I am not saying to hide your degree or training. What I am saying is that when you call programs, most often it will be a secretary not a doctor that will answer the phone. They simply may not know what a DO or Osteopath is and tell you that you do not qualify for the rotation because only MDs can do it. Just fill out the application and submit it and it will be reviewed by a physician in charge of student rotations who will know what a DO is and will most often give you the rotation. I remember one time I called a university based program and told the secretary that I was interested in doing a SubI in surgery. She told me that they don't offer subIs, only rotations. I tried to explain to her that a subI was a rotation, an audition rotation, but she simply didn't get it. So finally I said, okay, I just want a regular rotation, I recieved the application and got a 4th year rotation there. Bottomline, the people that need to approve your rotation will know you are a DO and will make the decision.