Any double major in addition to pre-med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuro2bjc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any pre-med students that are double majoring? What other major? Do you have any time to yourself?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

especially if the fields were completely different. I'm a current freshman under a microbiology major, but i also want to do art history. anybody here ever doubled in a science and an art major?

especially if the fields were completely different. I'm a current freshman under a microbiology major, but i also want to do art history. anybody here ever doubled in a science and an art major?

Do whatever you can afford, do well in, and not suffer through. Unless the art history in some way adds to your breadth of experience and gives you certain insight into medicine, I wouldn't say it's worth all of the time and effort. Unless you really really enjoy art history in that case do it. As for the Micro, how do you know you like microbiology before taking microbiology? I would assume as a freshman you are currently completing your introductory sequence. Therefore, how can you know that's the route you want to go?

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually you're right. How DO i know if i like microbiology...good question. And yes, I am taking the introductory classes right now and to be honest..they're not an easy breeze..i guess i've been having doubts already...but then again..i really like art history...anyone heard of an art history major get into med school? loL sorry...i'm just rambling..cause i dont' know who to talk to this about...

As one who got multiple majors (as a result of indecisiveness mainly), I do not recommend planning on persuing more than one major. It won't help you much.

If you take classes you enjoy and end up with more than one, so be it.

If you hate college and just want to use it as a means to an end (med school), find out what the athletes at your school are majoring in, and save your strength for prereqs.

Current M1, former Big Ten student-athlete, double major in molecular and cellular biology and Spanish. Not all athletes take easy classes/pursue easy majors (not that I'm saying the previous poster implied this...I'm just stating for the record, we aren't all dumb jocks :D )

Back to the OP's question, I suggest majoring in what you are interested in. I started undergrad as a bio major and added Spanish in my second year because I enjoy speaking the language and learning about the culture. The bio major has helped me for obvious reasons as an M1 and I would say the Spanish major is equally as useful as I am able to be an interpreter at some of our free clinics. If you like art history, take some classes and see how you do, see if you still like it and can manage it on top of your science major. You don't have to decide to add the second major right now, just take your time and see how things progress. As for med school, I'm not sure that a double major actually improves anyone's chances of getting in (although it might, what do I know???), but it definitely can't hurt, so if you like two different areas, I say go for it! If you have any questions about balancing science and non-science majors or anything else, feel free to PM me. Good luck!

I'm double majoring in Software Engineering and Biology, with a minor in Chemistry, and pre-med stuff as well. I don't have an art major, but my majors are still fairly different. I'm advised that this is a difficult course to take due to the conceptual differences in the courses of study. While that may be true for some, I personally don't find it an issue at all, so whether it's doable while still maintaining a life depends on the person. The course load doesn't necessarily have to be a problem, depending on how you choose and arrange courses, and how long you're in undergrad. I'm doing 5 years, and I've chosen courses wisely, so I have an average credit load of ~15 credits per semester. As far as free time goes, I have loads of it; at least six hours on week days, and the entire weekend as well. Depending on coursework, this could be a bit more or less, but if you manage your time well, you can definitely still do the things that keep you sane.

Just my two cents....I pulled off majors in Bio and Econ in 4 years and maintain that I had tons of time off and a social life, etc. I started the Bio stuff (which doubles w/ the premed reqs, which helps) from the first semester and picked up econ by chance. I liked it, added it as a minor to take a few more classes, and then upgraded to major in my junior year.

I guess I'd agree that its not worthwhile to plan a double major unless you know for sure that both really do interest you. Picking up a minor or two is another option. Also, no adcom has really commented on (or even noticed) the fact that I doubled, so I don't think it carries much if any weight in med school admissions.

Actually you're right. How DO i know if i like microbiology...good question. And yes, I am taking the introductory classes right now and to be honest..they're not an easy breeze..i guess i've been having doubts already...but then again..i really like art history...anyone heard of an art history major get into med school? loL sorry...i'm just rambling..cause i dont' know who to talk to this about...

Do what you like the most. Just because you're going to med school doesn't mean you have to major in a hard science. Major DOES NOT PLAY a significant role in the admissions process. You are already taking the necessary science pre-reqs, why kill yourself with something you may not want to study for four years? I know plenty of medical students at top tier institutions that were history majors, classics majors and even general studies majors. Do what you think will be the best for your college experience, which makes art history sound like a good bet.

economics major here along with all the pre-med requirements. In medicine, you are involved in business and most doctors have no business background. The economics should help me.

I got a BA in Spanish and BS in Micro...and it's actually been helpful at some interiews and overlooked at others. I try to bring it up since I accomplished that in four years, I have a thorough knowledge of the sciences (obviously helpful to understand the basis of medicine), and I'm fluent in Spanish (helpful for patient communication and cultural identification/compassion). For me, it started as a Spanish minor, but I enjoyed it so much not only as a distraction from science but as a true cultural awareness. It doesn't hurt either that as a part of my program, I studied abroad in Spain and met my husband:D

I was premed and computer science and chinese literature double major (yeah, lit counts as a major :p ). I would suggest two things to people who are undecided about majors:
1. Pick something that will give you marketable skills if you choose not to do medicine.
2. Pick something you've always been interested in and probably won't be able to study once you're out of school.

But always remember that your grades are very important for med school so don't pick math or physics on a whim unless you know you won't be failing out!

I know a lot of people on SDN, when asked about what majors to pick from, suggest that people do something they like. However, from my experience on this, I would strongly suggest making sure you have an 'out' should medicine not be in your future. I knew students that decided medicine wasn't for them and had to scrabble to find something else midway through their college years. Some had to take a masters in another program b/c they came out of college with nothing marketable since they were doing premed but found out medicine wasn[t for them and/or couldn't get in. Plan well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Premed + Philosophy BA + Religious Studies BA

totally doable.

Dual major in Applied Physics and Biology with a minor in Astrobiology. It took me a while to decide on medicine, and when I did, I was practically done with the physics degree and still wanted to continue with the minor because it's an interesting conversation piece.

I don't have much time to myself, but that's because of the other things I do. I'm a resident director, an executive board member of our student run union, president of the capoeira club, volunteering, and working. The only negative to having a dual major is that I'm in my senior year taking required courses to finish off my bio degree so I can't take that many electives. But I'll come out with a very powerful combination of sciences :cool:

Respiratory therapy + German + psychology

molecular biology major + french + premed.

like everyone else said, i just stumbled across french, enjoyed the classes and kept taking them as a break from science. study abroad and my french major ("why french?") have been great conversation topics for interviews. i wouldn't have done it, though, just for this reason...i did it because i love it.

Yes, Boston college of Pharmacy has the program which is actually has BS in pre-medical studies; Fremingham State (also in MA) college has the same and quite few more only in Boston area.

Dual major in Applied Physics and Biology with a minor in Astrobiology. It took me a while to decide on medicine, and when I did, I was practically done with the physics degree and still wanted to continue with the minor because it's an interesting conversation piece.

I don't have much time to myself, but that's because of the other things I do. I'm a resident director, an executive board member of our student run union, president of the capoeira club, volunteering, and working. The only negative to having a dual major is that I'm in my senior year taking required courses to finish off my bio degree so I can't take that many electives. But I'll come out with a very powerful combination of sciences :cool:

In the same boat as you but without the extra-curricular, but CS and bio major.

And to answer the OP, yes very little time for myself.

Double major in pre-med and psychology...if you major in pre-med here, you are required to have a second major.

Math, bio, & classics. Love, love, love all three.

"premed" isnt an official major at my school...so i dbl majored in bio and psych

philosophy & psychology

I did Pre-Med & Japanese as majors, and Psych as my minor. I started out school as an Art Minor and Japanese/Psych double major and switched to Pre-Med during my sophomore year. Strangely enough, I'm finding psych (especially physio) to be extremely helpful for my current neuroanatomy class. :)