Any Drexel applicants get this letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

digitalising

Codename: Amistad
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched for this topic but found nothing. I had applied to Drexel, didn't interview, but was never rejected either. Yesterday I received a large white envelope that, on first glance, seemed to be a very elaborate rejection letter. Well, it essentially is. It was a pseudo-application to the Master's in Public Health that they have at the SPH. All I would have to do is sign a form that would release my med school application to this committee, who would then evaluate me for the full-time program.

Anyone else get the same thing?

Members don't see this ad.

yup :rolleyes: what a waste of paper. kinda annoying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ditto. I received that packet as well

Hm, I wonder if they think we're special, or if they just sent out the same to everyone who did not get in.

Hm, I wonder if they think we're special, or if they just sent out the same to everyone who did not get in.

Here's what it is:

Best case scenario is that you'll get a preferential glance during the MPH admissions process (but they're probably sending it to all rejects, so not likely). In theory, completing it will help you make up for a presumably sub-par GPA and get you better looks at any future application attempts.

That said, if you're going to go this route, don't do the Drexel program - it's 2 years long and a MPH isn't very science intensive (ie: it isn't proving your science meddle). You'd be much better off doing a 1 year long SMP. You take classes with med students and have the opportunity, if you do well, to prove your abilities.

I got it today...I don't care aboud their dumb MPH. I applied for MD and deserve a rejection letter before this. Even Indiana sent me a photocopy rejection letter that looked like it had stains and was on recycled newspaper.

:lol: yeh, they prolly read our files, felt sick to their stomach,assumed we didn't get in anywhere, and decided to find a way to take advantage by milking the desperate cash cow, so to speak.:smuggrin:

but really--i have no idea why we are special.

:lol: yeh, they prolly read our files, felt sick to their stomach,assumed we didn't get in anywhere, and decided to find a way to take advantage by milking the desperate cash cow, so to speak.:smuggrin:

but really--i have no idea why we are special.

Ha! I'm reading the "design your own rejection letter" and figured I might as well write this. Judging by the week I'm having, it will probably come back to bite me in the ass, but I don't really care:

Dear Drexel School of Public Health,

Thank you for your interest. While I am flattered to receive your application, which was apparently mass-mailed to all the students that the College of Medicine has not communicated with in eight months, I regret to inform you that I will not be releasing my application for your consideration for the class of 2010.

This past year has been an extremely competitive period. I do not use the word "competitive" to describe myself, however; I simply meant that I was competing with other applicants who had much higher grade point averages, and the competition was fairly one-sided and prolonged. This year saw me sending out information and essays to over twenty schools, many of which, including Drexel, reviewed my application with the same apparent enthusiasm as a vegan being served foie gras.

Fortunately, I was accepted to a medical school. While it is not necessarily my dream school, I am excited and anxious to begin classes in the fall. Go St. George's University...well, I do not believe that we actually have a mascot. Perhaps the foot-long centipedes scurrying about campus could be our symbol. As many words rhyme with centipede, (creed, steed, stampede, reed, peed, teed, steed, deed, feed, heed, lead, mead, need, read, etc.), I believe the fight songs will flow naturally. As well as the venom when the wriggling mascots bite the cheering students.

Now if we only had sports teams...

In any case, please do not see this as a reflection of my esteem of the quality of your program. I simply do not wish to delay my path to becoming a physician any further. Furthermore, I fear that should should I complete your program and become extremely pretentious, I would be paralyzed with confusion whenever I sign my name (would it be B.S. M.S. M.S. or B.S. M.S.x2?). My life as I recognize it would end and I would descend into near catatonia.

I wish you the best of luck in recruiting bright, eager students into your program, and hope that we might have the opportunity to work together in the future.

Sincerely,

Digitalising.

P.S. - Since your letter indicates that you're in contact with the College of Medicine Admissions Committee, could you please ask them to send me a decision letter? Or update my status on the website to reflect the decision that's been made? Seriously, a piece of paper with the word "No" will suffice (although I insist that it be capitalized). It can even be on the back of a scrap piece of paper - I'll just check the return address for confirmation.

Many thanks.

Ha! I'm reading the "design your own rejection letter" and figured I might as well write this. Judging by the week I'm having, it will probably come back to bite me in the ass, but I don't really care:

Thank you for your interest. While I am flattered to receive your application, which was apparently mass-mailed to all the students that the College of Medicine has not communicated with in eight months, I regret to inform you that I will not be releasing my application for your consideration for the class of 2010.

This past year has been an extremely competitive period. I do not use the word "competitive" to describe myself, however; I simply meant that I was competing with other applicants who had much higher grade point averages, and the competition was fairly one-sided and prolonged. This year saw me sending out information and essays to over twenty schools, many of which, including Drexel, reviewed my application with the same apparent enthusiasm as a vegan being served foie gras.

Fortunately, I was accepted to a medical school. While it is not necessarily my dream school, I am excited and anxious to begin classes in the fall. Go St. George's University...well, I do not believe that we actually have a mascot. Perhaps the foot-long centipedes scurrying about campus could be our symbol. As many words rhyme with centipede, (creed, steed, stampede, reed, peed, teed, steed, deed, feed, heed, lead, mead, need, read, etc.), I believe the fight songs will flow naturally. As well as the venom when the wriggling mascots bite the cheering students.

In any case, please do not see this as a reflection of my esteem of the quality of your program. I simply do not wish to delay my path to becoming a physician any further. Furthermore, I fear that should should I complete your program and become extremely pretentious, I would be paralyzed with confusion whenever I sign my name (would it be B.S. M.S. M.S. or B.S. M.S.x2?). My life as I recognize it would end and I would descend into near catatonia.

I wish you the best of luck in recruiting bright, eager students into your program, and hope that we might have the opportunity to work together in the future.

Sincerely,

Digitalising.

P.S. - Since your letter indicates that you're in contact with the College of Medicine Admissions Committee, could you please ask them to send me a decision letter? Or update my status on the website to reflect the decision that's been made? Seriously, a piece of paper with the word "No" will suffice (although I insist that it be capitalized). It can even be on the back of a scrap piece of paper - I'll just check the return address for confirmation.

Many thanks.

:laugh: That's great.

This past year has been an extremely competitive period. I do not use the word "competitive" to describe myself, however; I simply meant that I was competing with other applicants who had much higher grade point averages, and the competition was fairly one-sided and prolonged. This year saw me sending out information and essays to over twenty schools, many of which, including Drexel, reviewed my application with the same apparent enthusiasm as a vegan being served foie gras. :laugh:

Sincerely,

Digitalising.

Many thanks.

:laugh: amen

in Any Case, Please Do Not See This As A Reflection Of My Esteem Of The Quality Of Your Program. I Simply Do Not Wish To Delay My Path To Becoming A Physician Any Further. Furthermore, I Fear That Should Should I Complete Your Program And Become Extremely Pretentious, I Would Be Paralyzed With Confusion Whenever I Sign My Name (would It Be B.s. M.s. M.s. Or B.s. M.s.x2?). My Life As I Recognize It Would End And I Would Descend Into Near Catatonia.

Lololol

haha i love how the school that does not even send/email/update a rejection letter sends all of us a huge packet which could've been summarized in a page or two at most.

I got this letter as well, love the part where they say "Public health is the new medicine."

Might have well have said something like, "It's okay sweetie, you still have a good personality."

Hrumph.

Drex was an engineering school when I applied It was DIT when my dad grad from it........

Got one of those too. :D

As Kurt V. says, "So it goes." I say, "so it blows, like nose to toes or bros to foes or ho's to pro's. Man it sucks to be an average Joe or have your spleen handed to you in a rather large yet important white envelope."

It kind of hurts when the handout says that MD's pursue the MPH as well.