Any DS4 from UCLA who love the school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Keep in mind that not that many 4th yrs go on to this forum.

I am sure there are at least half are decently happy.
Mainly those who got matched.

I'm also a 4th yr UCLA dent student and I have to completely agree with the other post that you linked to. Predental students should not be asking 1st & 2nd yr students how they like the school, as 1st & 2nd yrs have no insight into what really goes on in clinic at UCLA. Sure, the didactic classes that they load us with combined with preclinical lab is tough the first 2 yrs. But at least things are kind of in your control. You study hard, and you'll pass your classes. You put in the lab time, and you will get your lab projects done. Even 3rd yrs don't really have a complete understanding, as the clinical requirements are not a pressing issue to them.

You have to ask the 4th years for their honest opinion about the school (the students that interview you would probably not tell you the complete honest truth; some of my friends have been interviewers, and they don't tell you the crap that goes on). The truth is that most of us HATE UCLA. Many of us regret coming to UCLA. Do you know how many of us are worried about graduating on time? I would say >75% of us!! And it's not because we slacked off in clinic. Every dental school has a number of people who don't graduate on time. The big difference with UCLA and other schools though, is that at UCLA, the people who don't graduate on time were not necessarily slackers.

Lack of patients, combined with the administration's apathy towards students & resistance to change makes for a very stressful and frustrating experience for 4th yr students.

The positives about UCLA is that we are trained very well didactically (according to graduates who have gone on to different residency programs, and have compared their knowledge with those who graduated from other schools). And we do send alot of people into specialty programs. But what's the point of getting into a program, if we can't even graduate on time. I have heard of people in the past, who were accepted into a program, but were dropped from the program because UCLA wouldn't graduate them on time.

Our dean likes to talk about how we should give back to the school once we become alumni. I know for certain that I will never in my life donate a single penny to the school. That is how bitter I am.

You will have a very difficult time finding a 4th yr who says s/he likes UCLA dent - I don't think you'll find any actually. The most positive response you'll get, is probably "It's ok."

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks chocobo. I suppose.

So how many students don't graduate on time? From what you say, it sounds like a lot, but I'm sure that's probably not the case.

Do you know where I can find out about UCLA matching rates?

I was really excited, and still am, about attending UCLA this coming fall, but i'm looking less forawrd to my 4th year at UCLA.

I understand that the dental clinics are the last priority within the adminstration, but are there possible changes and improvements with overall improvements of the clinical education and even morale at UCLA??

The truth is out, let it be heard and dealt with, right? The problem is clear - the administration is poor, therefore leading to a poorly run clinical education.

Is there a solution? Are things being changed. I'm sure this problem has been heard throughout UCLA.

Ultimately, my question is: Is this "problem" being addressed, or simply ignored?

I'm actually disappointed for the first time about UCLA.

Unfortunately, this is not a new thing at UCLA...so I don't know how much it has been addressed. Students are finding alternative ways to get patients (going out in the community, etc.). I know a lot of dental students at the school and I've heard all these problems from almost all of them. :(

LSN, where are you planning to attend dental school?

Are you attending UCLA? or USC?

Thanks, jonny

Yo, dont get the wrong impression here. Even though I love my future colleagues' emthusiasm about our school. there are certain things should be corrected. You know your spirit is the main reason why I keep on coming back and not studying for finals.

There is only one thing that worths looking forward to: that's to be a competent dentist who can provide the best care within our ability to our patients.

With that being said, I m looking forward to be a DDS. Seriously, maybe next quarter, the quarter after the board. there aint much to look forward to in dental school. (academic wise, ok) Once I got there, talking with 2nd year is kinda devastating. Knowing 1st yr has 8 classes, the 2nd yr will just keep on telling us they have 12! Like today, when i was reviewing for operative class, a good friend from 2nd yr walked by and asked how i was doing. our conversation is all about final. and his schedule is like at least 2 finals per day. tomorrow they have 3! did i make my point yet?

and about the clinics, you do have to understand it is westwood. who wants to spend 3 hrs to get a procedure done? i wont say clinic is their last priority cos they are trying to do something about it constantly. It kinda goes with all the school, they are slow. I encourage those of you who will turn down UCLA to reflect this in their "declination email." They will hear and do something to help us.

Again, I donno that much about the clinics or how the school is ran. So, cheer up. The clnic will be your last priority once you get here, jk.

fouyboy said:
I was really excited, and still am, about attending UCLA this coming fall, but i'm looking less forawrd to my 4th year at UCLA.

I understand that the dental clinics are the last priority within the adminstration, but are there possible changes and improvements with overall improvements of the clinical education and even morale at UCLA??

The truth is out, let it be heard and dealt with, right? The problem is clear - the administration is poor, therefore leading to a poorly run clinical education.

Is there a solution? Are things being changed. I'm sure this problem has been heard throughout UCLA.

Ultimately, my question is: Is this "problem" being addressed, or simply ignored?

I'm actually disappointed for the first time about UCLA.

Does UCLA sounds like a doom after my last post?
I forgot to mention what my 2nd yr friend told me
"We all get thru". If you have given your best, we will all pass.
Nothing tastes better than when I found out I passed all my classes last quarter.
Even though I probably wont get an EPR, everything will be sweet once I graduate.
That will be quite an achievement.