Any EMTs or Maryland EMTs out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrubsaresexy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is aimed primarily at EMTs from Maryland who took classes through MFRI, but other EMTs or other people might know the answer too...how does EMT class get figured into AMCAS GPA for applications? Does it count into BCPM or just regular GPA, and do you know for how many credits? I also have a bunch of other fire classes, but I doubt those are considered science classes!

Members don't see this ad.

regular and how ever many you took it for

although idt mfri is a real school

Members don't see this ad :)
looking at the instruction manual, it seems as if it's either other or health science.

how would you argue that it's bcpm? it seems fairly straightforward to me that it's not.

That would be fantastic if it did count...the summer EMT course that I took from my university was 9 credits and I got an A in it lol.

So is there now way to count it towards BCPM??

That would be fantastic if it did count...the summer EMT course that I took from my university was 9 credits and I got an A in it lol.

So is there now way to count it towards BCPM??

Haha, mine was 9 credits too and I got an A. I was hoping it did, but I'm not sure. When I put it in AMCAS I think I listed it under the "health" category, so I'm sure it didn't count in BCPM. You are allowed to have a few "mistakes" when you submit to AMCAS, so you could try and if they don't like it they'll change it :p (just don't have too many things that need to be changed or they'll send it back to you for you to do it instead)

Good question, but I have no answer for you, sorry! I took EMT-B a number of years ago and got all the way to the final practical, hit a critical fail, and took the restudy. I did not, however, retake the final because of other things I had going on. I had Zsegosky (sp?)...The Bomb. Anyway, my pointless two cents...

MFRI is attached to UMCP, so I'd imagine this counts.

haha thanks for all the answers. I was sort of hoping that it would somehow magically be a science class so that I could count it as BCPM...oh well!

And jurassicpark, in Maryland, all fire and EMS classes come under MFRI, which is the Maryland Fire Rescue Institute, but that's all under U of MD College Park...so it sort of is a 'real school.' I'm not sure if any other state operates like that though, but I do have a MFRI transcript.

If EMT doesn't count for anything BCPM related, I wonder if HazMat counts as a chemistry course...:laugh:

all fire and EMS classes come under MFRI, which is the Maryland Fire Rescue Institute, but that's all under U of MD College Park...so it sort of is a 'real school.'

yeah, i saw that on their website, but idk if it's an accredited division. asdfghjkl educationialese but there's a difference between being a umd course and a course that's offered by some division of umd. i guess continuing ed is the closest thing that's coming to mind. (sorry, sudafed head.)

i know emt at umbc and comm colleges are "real" classes b/c they're at "real" schools and you get "real" credits.