Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Any EMTs or Maryland EMTs out there?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by scrubsaresexy, Dec 23, 2008.

1. scrubsaresexy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This is aimed primarily at EMTs from Maryland who took classes through MFRI, but other EMTs or other people might know the answer too...how does EMT class get figured into AMCAS GPA for applications? Does it count into BCPM or just regular GPA, and do you know for how many credits? I also have a bunch of other fire classes, but I doubt those are considered science classes!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    regular and how ever many you took it for

although idt mfri is a real school

4. armybound

armybound urologist.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    it didn't count towards BCMP for me, though I'm sure you could try to get it to count.

5. 236116

looking at the instruction manual, it seems as if it's either other or health science.

how would you argue that it's bcpm? it seems fairly straightforward to me that it's not.

6. ch0sen1

2+ Year Member

That would be fantastic if it did count...the summer EMT course that I took from my university was 9 credits and I got an A in it lol.

So is there now way to count it towards BCPM??

7. silverhorse84

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Haha, mine was 9 credits too and I got an A. I was hoping it did, but I'm not sure. When I put it in AMCAS I think I listed it under the "health" category, so I'm sure it didn't count in BCPM. You are allowed to have a few "mistakes" when you submit to AMCAS, so you could try and if they don't like it they'll change it :p (just don't have too many things that need to be changed or they'll send it back to you for you to do it instead)

8. DrMcGangsterMD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Good question, but I have no answer for you, sorry! I took EMT-B a number of years ago and got all the way to the final practical, hit a critical fail, and took the restudy. I did not, however, retake the final because of other things I had going on. I had Zsegosky (sp?)...The Bomb. Anyway, my pointless two cents...

MFRI is attached to UMCP, so I'd imagine this counts.

9. scrubsaresexy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    haha thanks for all the answers. I was sort of hoping that it would somehow magically be a science class so that I could count it as BCPM...oh well!

And jurassicpark, in Maryland, all fire and EMS classes come under MFRI, which is the Maryland Fire Rescue Institute, but that's all under U of MD College Park...so it sort of is a 'real school.' I'm not sure if any other state operates like that though, but I do have a MFRI transcript.

If EMT doesn't count for anything BCPM related, I wonder if HazMat counts as a chemistry course...:laugh:

10. 236116

yeah, i saw that on their website, but idk if it's an accredited division. asdfghjkl educationialese but there's a difference between being a umd course and a course that's offered by some division of umd. i guess continuing ed is the closest thing that's coming to mind. (sorry, sudafed head.)

i know emt at umbc and comm colleges are "real" classes b/c they're at "real" schools and you get "real" credits.