Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Any English majors/premeds or current med students out there?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DMBFan, Apr 21, 2004.

1. DMBFan

DMBFan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm not sure if this question belongs here, but I have a question about W.B. Yeats. Okay, so I was talking to my Romantic lit teacher today, and he basically said that Yeats WAS NOT a humanist and was always looking for a way for the flesh of the individual to be eternalized into something transcendental. I am not sure if I agree with this as poems like Sailing to Byzantium suggest that there is an artificiality gained with immortality.

I am thinking about arguing for some of his humanist qualities in my paper, what does everyone think?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. liverotcod

liverotcod Lieutenant Crunch
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I gotta go with your Romantic lit teacher... The poem in my sig is a good example of Yeats not showing a lot of confidence in humanity. Sorry, I didn't understand your point about Sailing to Byzantium. Could you rephrase?

4. DMBFan

DMBFan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for responding. In the last stanza of "Sailing," the bird sings for a drowsy emperor and the ladies come and go (something like that, I'm paraphrasing). The suggestion is there that the bird is Yeats transformed in the gyre. But it seems to me that despite this immortality there is something boring it. So I was just saying that while he has this visionary impulse, I think that he does see something worthwhile not in his fellow human kind but the human experience in general? hope that made sense..Btw have u read lapis lazuli??