Any enlisted Navy personnel that made it to USUHS while on Active Duty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpaceCadet24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good day to everyone,

I'm currently an active duty Hospital Corpsman (HM2) with 9 years of service, and I'm finally ready to pursue being an MD.

I originally specialized as a PMT a few years ago (Prev Med Tech, 68S for you Army cats) with the intentions of crossing over to the dark side as an Environmental Health Officer or Entomologist, but for a myriad of reasons, I've turned away from that path and am now fully committed to becoming an MD. I am hell-bent on going to USUHS, and though it looks like the road will be a long one, I won't be swayed.

My question is, are there any other enlisted personnel out there that made it to USUHS while still being on active duty??

I've read dozens of testimonials of people that made it while being an Active Duty Officer, and of those that were enlisted, got out of the military and then returned through USUHS, but I have yet to read anything from someone in a similar position to myself.

I should note, before coming to this decision, I reenlisted for an additional 6 years earlier this year, which will put me at 15 years enlisted all said and done.

Obviously I'm looking to matriculate to USUHS while still being on active duty, but is this really all a big pipe dream? My biggest concerns are the prerequisites for USUHS, in that they require several classes to be completed face to face, no distance learning/online credits allowed. I see no where on the admission requirements stating the actual undergrad degree must be completed face to face or majority face to face, so is there anyone out there that did this; completed their bachelors online, then completed the other specific pre-reqs at a traditional brick and mortar school, while on active duty?

Also I had been looking at the Enlisted to Medical Degree Preparatory Program (EMDP2), unfortunately there's no way I could complete a bachelors before my 10 year mark, which is the TIS cutoff for the program.

Any guidance, wisdom, testimonials, hell even sarcasm welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Good day to everyone,

I'm currently an active duty Hospital Corpsman (HM2) with 9 years of service, and I'm finally ready to pursue being an MD.

I originally specialized as a PMT a few years ago (Prev Med Tech, 68S for you Army cats) with the intentions of crossing over to the dark side as an Environmental Health Officer or Entomologist, but for a myriad of reasons, I've turned away from that path and am now fully committed to becoming an MD. I am hell-bent on going to USUHS, and though it looks like the road will be a long one, I won't be swayed.

My question is, are there any other enlisted personnel out there that made it to USUHS while still being on active duty??

I've read dozens of testimonials of people that made it while being an Active Duty Officer, and of those that were enlisted, got out of the military and then returned through USUHS, but I have yet to read anything from someone in a similar position to myself.

I should note, before coming to this decision, I reenlisted for an additional 6 years earlier this year, which will put me at 15 years enlisted all said and done.

Obviously I'm looking to matriculate to USUHS while still being on active duty, but is this really all a big pipe dream? My biggest concerns are the prerequisites for USUHS, in that they require several classes to be completed face to face, no distance learning/online credits allowed. I see no where on the admission requirements stating the actual undergrad degree must be completed face to face or majority face to face, so is there anyone out there that did this; completed their bachelors online, then completed the other specific pre-reqs at a traditional brick and mortar school, while on active duty?

Also I had been looking at the Enlisted to Medical Degree Preparatory Program (EMDP2), unfortunately there's no way I could complete a bachelors before my 10 year mark, which is the TIS cutoff for the program.

Any guidance, wisdom, testimonials, hell even sarcasm welcome!

While I'm in the EMDP2, USUHS didn't seem to mind that my degree was completed online, as long as the prereqs are completed in person. I have met a couple current USUHS students who are prior enlisted and who applied to and matriculated at USUHS while on active duty, so it is definitely possible (they were HMs too). EMDP2 is a great program if you can do it, but it's still possible without it. You'll just have to work harder to make sure you have great grades and a good MCAT.

Active duty Army here. Your pipe dream is 100% doable because I am doing it. I completed all my major course work online, some while deployed, and then completed all my prereqs in a face to face setting at night. I took my mcat twice because I didn't have enough fun the first time. During this I moved and added 2 kiddos to the family.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
While I'm in the EMDP2, USUHS didn't seem to mind that my degree was completed online, as long as the prereqs are completed in person. I have met a couple current USUHS students who are prior enlisted and who applied to and matriculated at USUHS while on active duty, so it is definitely possible (they were HMs too). EMDP2 is a great program if you can do it, but it's still possible without it. You'll just have to work harder to make sure you have great grades and a good MCAT.

That's awesome news to hear, thank you. I've actually read quite a few of your posts about your experience with the program, and it's given me a lot of useful information just about the school in general. I'll be busting my butt to try and get as much course work done as possible, but I'm also getting ready to PCS next year and may have to attack the dream intermittently.

Active duty Army here. Your pipe dream is 100% doable because I am doing it. I completed all my major course work online, some while deployed, and then completed all my prereqs in a face to face setting at night. I took my mcat twice because I didn't have enough fun the first time. During this I moved and added 2 kiddos to the family.

Thank you for the valuable input. As a fellow father of two ankle bitters myself, I understand how difficult it must've been, and while I've taken some classes here and there, I recognize getting ready to go full throttle on this decision will be pretty challenging with a family. But, it's a great confidence booster to know people like you have accomplished it, and made the dream reality.

With any luck I may be submitting an application to USU by 2021, if not earlier.

That's awesome news to hear, thank you. I've actually read quite a few of your posts about your experience with the program, and it's given me a lot of useful information just about the school in general. I'll be busting my butt to try and get as much course work done as possible, but I'm also getting ready to PCS next year and may have to attack the dream intermittently.

I actively talk to some of those guys, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. If I don't know it, I'll ask them.