Any ENTP Psychiatrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahmadmz

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone here working as a psychiatrist or related field?
I'm seriously considering pursuing psychiatry for residency and am curious to see what the experiences of other ENTPs have been in psychiatry.

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone here working as a psychiatrist or related field?
I'm seriously considering pursuing psychiatry for residency and am curious to see what the experiences of other ENTPs have been in psychiatry.

Im not a huge Myers-Briggs truther but would be an E N/I T P and its been a great run in psychiatry to date. The E sets you apart from a decent chunk of psychiatrists and is very sought after for leadership positions (and making folks feel like you know your stuff). The T is critical for all docs. The P is hugely critical to the success of any psychiatrist.

Reactions: 1 user
This exact question has been asked before. See similar threads below or use the search.

Or stop caring about MBTI as it's not a valid measure.

Members don't see this ad :)
The P is hugely critical to the success of any psychiatrist.
I always score INTJ, and very strongly in each category. I think I'm a successful psychiatrist. So either I'm wrong, you're wrong, or the test is wrong.

Im not a huge Myers-Briggs truther but would be an E N/I T P and its been a great run in psychiatry to date. The E sets you apart from a decent chunk of psychiatrists and is very sought after for leadership positions (and making folks feel like you know your stuff). The T is critical for all docs. The P is hugely critical to the success of any psychiatrist.

Thanks for your response!
I can see how you were able to relate each of the letters to psychiatry. Why did you end up choosing psychiatry over other specialties?

Thanks for your response!
I can see how you were able to relate each of the letters to psychiatry. Why did you end up choosing psychiatry over other specialties?

The brain is *obviously* the best organ in the body. Neurologists tend to creep me out (seriously, who wears bow ties to work) and I get along better with psychiatrists although I tend to not be like the stereotypical psychiatrist. I prefer liberals to republicans although both parties have been garbage as of late. Getting to know someone is one of life's greatest pleasures and I found that I automatically compartmentalize psychic duress. The lifestyle and pay are rock solid too.

The brain is *obviously* the best organ in the body. Neurologists tend to creep me out (seriously, who wears bow ties to work) and I get along better with psychiatrists although I tend to not be like the stereotypical psychiatrist. I prefer liberals to republicans although both parties have been garbage as of late. Getting to know someone is one of life's greatest pleasures and I found that I automatically compartmentalize psychic duress. The lifestyle and pay are rock solid too.
Agreed! Brain has definitely been my favorite organ from my time in undergrad - then did my Masters in Psychology too where the focus was quite on neurpsych aspect!
On another note, how was your experience as ENTP in med school? Med school does not seem to be very 'P' friendly - you really have to adapt to 'J' personality for time being. How did you find it? Any specific approaches you took?

Agreed! Brain has definitely been my favorite organ from my time in undergrad - then did my Masters in Psychology too where the focus was quite on neurpsych aspect!
On another note, how was your experience as ENTP in med school? Med school does not seem to be very 'P' friendly - you really have to adapt to 'J' personality for time being. How did you find it? Any specific approaches you took?

Again, I in no way think MBPT is a real construct that accurately encompasses, well anything. But given it's a language you understand, I can say that historically medicine has not been P friendly, and you will need to be decisive at times, however much of outpatient medicine is moving towards P with the rise of motivational interviewing and paternalism being a very dirty word. I think some/many psychiatrists find that they don't exactly fit in with the average medical student at times and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Different people are absolutely better suited for different specialties.