Any feedback regarding the NOLS wilderness med course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keeping-it-real

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there is another thread around here asking about other wilderness medical electives, but i'm specifically trying to find out some info about the $4000 NOLS wilderness med course. I think it's a lot of money but for a worthwhile experience and great training, i think i could gather up some funding. Please let me know if anyone can provide some insight. Thx.

-kir

Members don't see this ad.

That's a tough call. $4000 is a boat load of cash. I was looking at it but decided no since it's not worth it for me; I already have experience. I would call them and make sure you're getting something in the end. CMEs don't really matter right now. If you're an EMT it looks like you'll get WEMT upgrade.

But if you're just going to be out there for a month practicing splinting, roasting marshmallows, and listening to someone talk about hypothermia, I would save my money, buy some good wilderness medicine books and go camping.

It may be better after you're a doc and can become a fellow in the wilderness medicine community.

Heck I could think of a lot more to do with $4000
http://northfield.org/node/1851
for instance...

Let me know if you need other ideas - high speed driving school, parachuting, trip to costa rico, trip to europe, 0-G plane ride...

Members don't see this ad :)
Lebesgue said:
That's a tough call. $4000 is a boat load of cash. I was looking at it but decided no since it's not worth it for me; I already have experience. I would call them and make sure you're getting something in the end. CMEs don't really matter right now. If you're an EMT it looks like you'll get WEMT upgrade.

But if you're just going to be out there for a month practicing splinting, roasting marshmallows, and listening to someone talk about hypothermia, I would save my money, buy some good wilderness medicine books and go camping.

It may be better after you're a doc and can become a fellow in the wilderness medicine community.

Heck I could think of a lot more to do with $4000
http://northfield.org/node/1851
for instance...

Let me know if you need other ideas - high speed driving school, parachuting, trip to costa rico, trip to europe, 0-G plane ride...
I think my next step is Instruments... although i'm sure sport pilot is adequate for some. ;) :thumbup:

Also, from the NOLS website, it seems like it is a month long camping trip where they integrate the training. It's doesn't seem like a kumbaya type thing, but then again, i don't know anything about it other than what the site says.

psychbender said:
Don't know anything about the NOLS program, but a buddy of mine works for GMRS, and for a bit more money, looks like you can have more fun doing a wilderness medicine rotation in Belize (Wilderness, Remote, and Expedition Medicine for Professional Providers http://www.gmrsltd.com).
I had heard about the Belize trip but i'm more of a western US type of guy. I think Belize would be cool, but i don't know how applicable it will be whereas i actually plan on taking many trips throughout the southwest be it rock climbing, camping, etc.