Any fellow students have a favorite OMM technique?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scoren

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far what have you guys/gals learned that you really like in OMM?

One of my favorites is in treating posterior ribs with an HVLA double arm thrust. Treating the thoracics is great too. As the patient, it feels awesome to get a rib put back in.

Any other favorites?

Members don't see this ad.

I actually have several techniques that are my favorite. I don't think I have enough practice to decide on one but I really like the K-Crunch for ribs and thoracis, when that doesn't work I like the "Texas Twist".

I am just learning a new technique that looks pretty need though. It is called the "Chicago Techinque" It is in a recent SOMA magazine. I have only seen it done a few times but it sure seemed to work well. Does anyone have any experience with this technique?

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

Not to trivialize OMM, but the names that you guys re using sound like professional wrestling moves.
smile.gif

K-Crunch, Texas Twist, HVLA (High Velocity, Low Amplitude) Double Arm Thrust, and the Chicago Technique? Are these standard names?

Tim of New York City.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, they are! Uuurrrrr Lets get ready to rumble!!!
wink.gif
I think the Chicago technique is new though; I never heard of it. Can someone describe that for me?

My favorite is always Soft Tissue. Nothing like a GREAT massage after a stressful exam or long hours studying. "Study necks" are really annoying!!!

Rob
WesternU/COMP Class of 2002

[This message has been edited by Future DOc (edited 02-18-2000).]

Uh, I have an idea, how bout voting on this when some of you have actually treated a great deal of symptomatic patients over a period of time. Efficacy is kinda important, don't you think. Working on students is one thing, working on a symptomatic patient in a small room, with other patients waiting is another.

e

Hey e,
What is your problem. All we were doing on this board is discussing what techniques everyone likes. I don't deny that how I feel today about certain techniqes will definately change after I have been in practice for a while. I do know what techniqes I have had done on me all of my life and which ones worked on me.
I have enough medical experience to know that what looks good on paper and in the classroom doesn't necessarily work so well in real life. But at the same time there is nothing wrong with us discussing now what techniques we do and do not like. I know for afact this is a common practice among working DOs. Docs I used to work with would ask other DOs that they came across about techniqes they liked and then would teach each other the procedure if someone did not know how to do it.

This is a great way to share information. If you don't like it don't read it. What makes you the expert anyway?

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

Well smarta@#,
I am not saying I am the expert, but I have some experience under my belt also...I have just never seen so many people self treat themselves with manipulation without doing an appropriate exam in my life. Over and over I hear "popthis...pop that" without any regard to the true cause. What I am saying is diagnostic skills with regard to muscle strengthening, muscle length, movement patterns and postures should be emphasized as opposed to the most efficient and neatest way to "pop" someone. Hey, I just wanted to comment on the this topic and bring up some relevant issues regarding diagnosis. I was a PT and a clinical instructor for Indiana University before entering school, are you happy? Am I allowed to talk now?

I did not mean to imply that you can not talk or post on this board. I just felt that your comment that none of us should compare "favorite" techniqes until we are out of medical school and in practice.

It may be the common theme to just say pop me here and pop me there but that is not necessarily the case. I have actually spent quate a bit of time working on diagonosing my classmates etc rather than just popping them. As to evaluating posture etc, I can only do what I have been taught. I still have 4 quarters of OTM and a lot to learn.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03