Any Filipino applicants accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiLLynqnt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always wondered if we fit into the URM category since hawaiians are in it.. and technically a lot of hawaiians are filipinos. But we are categorized as pacific islander's which are lumped into the ASIANS group. But i feel that the filipino's are one of the under represented groups in the medical field. just my thoughts.. Anyways Just wondering if there are any filipino applicants out there... and have you been accepted anywhere?

Members don't see this ad.

DiLLynqnt said:
I have always wondered if we fit into the URM category since hawaiians are in it.. and technically a lot of hawaiians are filipinos. But we are categorized as pacific islander's which are lumped into the ASIANS group. But i feel that the filipino's are one of the under represented groups in the medical field. just my thoughts.. Anyways Just wondering if there are any filipino applicants out there... and have you been accepted anywhere?
:laugh: Are you including nursing?

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont really think the filipino population ~ hawaiian population when it comes to applicants towards med schools. bebot!

DiLLynqnt said:

Since most DO school are private, they probably do not have URM programs like state schools.

For the University of CA allopathic med schools, filipinos are considered URMs. However, the UCs are so hard to get into, you would probably need well above average stats to get in as an URM anyway.

I'm in at LECOM-Lake Erie so far. :) Yea. I always wondered, are we considered "Asian" or "Pacific Islanders"? And since I get mistaken more often than not for being hispanic, I've been tempted to put that down as my ethnicity and get that coveted minority status. Too bad my Spanish is as bad as my Tagalog. :p

i don't thik it gives us the upper hand. but i always enter pacific islander over asian. i have been tempted to put hispanic too, because my last name passes as one.

CCOM only.

I'm African American and I have yet to come across URM status helping you get into DO schools.

On the AMCOMAS application it asks "Do you consider yourself disadvantaged?"

You can select Medically, Economically, Both, or None as your status. ACOMAS states this is for financial aid info and does not indicate if it is used for admissions.

Economically - example was family income below Department of Ceneus' threshold for your family size.

Medically - states if you gre up in a community which you believe was "medically underserved" at the time you grew up.

Medically underserved seems like it would only fit rural areas as even the poorest urban communities have county hospitals or other hospitals in the area.

when using the Census data to qualify for Economic status you basically have to come from a family that depended on government aid or lived in a very poor rural area.

Nylesor said:
I'm in at LECOM-Lake Erie so far. :) Yea. I always wondered, are we considered "Asian" or "Pacific Islanders"? And since I get mistaken more often than not for being hispanic, I've been tempted to put that down as my ethnicity and get that coveted minority status. Too bad my Spanish is as bad as my Tagalog. :p
Is it possible you got mistaken for being hispanic, b/c you might be? :eek: Many filipinos have a spaniard("castilian") ancestor or two in their lineage therefore technically classifying them as "hispanic" or being of spanish ancestry; however, the term is generally used in the U.S. to refer to people from Latin/South America, not filipinos. I'm not trying to convince anyone to start calling themselves hispanic or anything, I'm simply offering a reason for why people may mistake you for latin/south american b/c it is possible you may be spanish looking. I know the filipinos on this board are gonna jump all over me for this, b/c my girlfriend, who is from the Philippines, gets angry at me anytime I make any reference to her being part spanish/hispanic, even though she has previously mentioned she some spanish ancestry in her bloodlines :scared:

As a funny side note, my girlfriend lives in a dominican neighborhood in NYC and several of the locals have called her "dominicana y japonesa"; I've heard there is a minority of Japanese in DR so they assume she is japanese/dominican mix since she lives in that neighborhood. :D

Yea. I have a lot of Spanish blood on my dad's side. I think more than one of the great grandparents were full Castillian Spanish. On my mom's side I have a blond, blue-eyed, full blooded Swiss great grandfather. So what does it boil down to? Filipino! :cool:

Like in the bebot song "Filipino! Filipino! Filipino! Filipino!" I'll try to type up the lyrics, "Pinoy kah sigaw nah, sige. Kung un bohi mo mahalaga, sige. Salamat sa iyung supporta!" ;) Sorry for the bad tagalog spelling. How come some filipinos get angry when people mention they might be part spanish? Is it b/c in filipino history, the Spaniards were seen as the oppressors/conquerors? My Mahal is from the Visayas, where the Spanish influence was very heavy.

PlasticMan said:
Like in the bebot song "Filipino! Filipino! Filipino! Filipino!" I'll try to type up the lyrics, "Pinoy kah sigaw nah, sige. Kung un bohi mo mahalaga, sige. Salamat sa iyung supporta!" ;) Sorry for the bad tagalog spelling. How come some filipinos get angry when people mention they might be part spanish? Is it b/c in filipino history, the Spaniards were seen as the oppressors/conquerors? My Mahal is from the Visayas, where the Spanish influence was very heavy.

Yea. Chill. We're all mongrels. Where do you think the last names come from?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that filipino's should be categorized as a URM since we are underrepresented as physicians... i know that there are a lot of nurses who are pinoy but are there a lot of pinoy doctors?? not as much as there are other ethnicities. OHHH... lol... does everyone love that BEBOT song?? yeaaa BEP!!!

DiLLynqnt said:
I think that filipino's should be categorized as a URM since we are underrepresented as physicians... i know that there are a lot of nurses who are pinoy but are there a lot of pinoy doctors?? not as much as there are other ethnicities. OHHH... lol... does everyone love that BEBOT song?? yeaaa BEP!!!
Hmmm, but once again you have to go back to what having URM is for - to help encourage healthcare in underserved neighborhoods/communities. There are many large, poor underserved mexican/black/native american communities, hence they are URM to help encourage doctors of those ethnicities to service those communities. A good amount of filipinos in this country are nurses or other professional careers, so they are not really poor underserved communities in my opinion.

Nylesor said:
And since I get mistaken more often than not for being hispanic, I've been tempted to put that down as my ethnicity and get that coveted minority status.

in high school, i used to get letters for hispanic scholarships for college based on my last name alone :laugh: i was so tempted to take them up on it, but a lot of them required in-person interviews, and that wouldve totally blown my cover..

anyways, are there a lot of filipinos in DO schools? i, myself, am not like your stereotypical filipino like the ones in NY and CALI.. i am from suburban florida and was raised in a predominantly white town.. as i've gotten older, i notice that the only asians i like are the kinds that are like me-- asians that were raised around white people (AKA - twinkies).. unfortunately, we are a rare breed, because most asians who grew up in america hung out almost exclusively with other asians (as witnessed in california and new york)

DiLLynqnt said:
I'm filipina. And I have 2 other classmates who are too. And I think I have another one who is half filipina. :)

why is it that for Cali allo med schools (the UCs) filipino's are considered URMs? i'm curious...

Does your question include those of us who spent our formative years in Repulika ng Pilipinas and could get citizenship under the old 'Marcos' rules?

I don't know of any Filipinos in my class.

Best wishes and Maligayang Pasko....

DiLLynqnt said:
why is it that for Cali allo med schools (the UCs) filipino's are considered URMs? i'm curious...

It has to do with the % of filipinos in med school compared to the % of filipinos in the general CA population. Apparently, filipinos are underrepresented in the UC allopathic schools.

If you look at the UC web pages, you will see filipinos classified as URMs.

We wouldn't be considered URMs in health care primarily for the fact that so many filipinos are nurses. Hell, doctors from the Philippines are coming here and giving up the MD to become a RN or NP.

do any of your moms do the flip-dar thing? watch television or see someone on the street and can tell if they're filipino? so wrong, but now i catch myself doing it. :laugh:

lilithny said:
do any of your moms do the flip-dar thing? watch television or see someone on the street and can tell if they're filipino? so wrong, but now i catch myself doing it. :laugh:

I've never heard of flip-dar..that's funny...i guess flip-dar is useful instead of saying "psssssssst.... oooy" and seeing who turns around.

Pssst....Hoy! Going to UMDNJ-SOM! :)

How about some pics of those filipino ladies in med school??? I've heard beauty and brains are quite rare...I wonder how rare...

Interesting thread. I just saw it randomly.

I'm Filipino-American (parents from PI, but I was born and raised in the US), went to MD med school (not DO), and I'm about to start my Dermatology residency (one of the most difficult residencies to get into). By no means am I privileged either. Both my parents are blue-collar workers who immigrated to the USA and I was the first one in the family to go to college.

I have always wondered why Filipinos are not considered minorities, especially as I went through college, medical school, and residency. During college, I was the only over-achieving Filipino. There were a few other Filipino students at my college, but unfortunately a significant portion of them failed and dropped out. During medical school, I was one of two Filipinos (out of about over 200 students) in my large medical school class. And I know during residency, I will be the only Filipino. During large American Derm conferences I attended, I usually was the only Filipino there (there are more black and hispanic dermatologists than Filipino dermatologists).

I definitely think we Filipinos should be considered minorities. But for some reason, most of the USA lumps us up with Asians, which I think this is totally wrong and we should form our own separate identity. A Filipino is NOT Asian. Fortunately, a few states got it right and consider Filipinos under-represented in the Physician medical field (not the Nurse field :p). Hawaii and California consider us minorities in medicine.

So what exactly is Filipino? First off, Filipinos are from the Philippine Islands, which are "Islands" in the Pacific Ocean (it is NOT a part of Asia). Therefore, we should be lumped more with the Pacific Islanders and Polynesians. But Filipinos are also more than just Pacific Islanders. We have a diverse background very unique from other Asian and Pacific Island countries. Filipinos were under Spanish rule for over 2 centuries (until we were freed by the USA during the Spanish-American War in the 1890s). That is why so many Filipinos have Spanish last names and why our culture has many Spanish traditions in it (the traditional clothes look Spanish, Spanish-like foods, Spanish words in our language Tagalog, and only country in Asia and the Pacific Islands that is mostly Roman Catholic and Christian). There also was and currently is a strong Chinese influence in PI also. If you ask any Filipino what there ancestry is, it is usually a mix of Filipino, Spanish, and Chinese blood lines.

Just my two cents...

porokeratosis said:
Interesting thread. I just saw it randomly.

I'm Filipino-American (parents from PI, but I was born and raised in the US), went to MD med school (not DO), and I'm about to start my Dermatology residency (one of the most difficult residencies to get into). By no means am I privileged either. Both my parents are blue-collar workers who immigrated to the USA and I was the first one in the family to go to college.

I have always wondered why Filipinos are not considered minorities, especially as I went through college, medical school, and residency. During college, I was the only over-achieving Filipino. There were a few other Filipino students at my college, but unfortunately a significant portion of them failed and dropped out. During medical school, I was one of two Filipinos (out of about over 200 students) in my large medical school class. And I know during residency, I will be the only Filipino. During large American Derm conferences I attended, I usually was the only Filipino there (there are more black and hispanic dermatologists than Filipino dermatologists).

I definitely think we Filipinos should be considered minorities. But for some reason, most of the USA lumps us up with Asians, which I think this is totally wrong and we should form our own separate identity. A Filipino is NOT Asian. Fortunately, a few states got it right and consider Filipinos under-represented in the Physician medical field (not the Nurse field :p). Hawaii and California consider us minorities in medicine.

So what exactly is Filipino? First off, Filipinos are from the Philippine Islands, which are "Islands" in the Pacific Ocean (it is NOT a part of Asia). Therefore, we should be lumped more with the Pacific Islanders and Polynesians. But Filipinos are also more than just Pacific Islanders. We have a diverse background very unique from other Asian and Pacific Island countries. Filipinos were under Spanish rule for over 2 centuries (until we were freed by the USA during the Spanish-American War in the 1890s). That is why so many Filipinos have Spanish last names and why our culture has many Spanish traditions in it (the traditional clothes look Spanish, Spanish-like foods, Spanish words in our language Tagalog, and only country in Asia and the Pacific Islands that is mostly Roman Catholic and Christian). There also was and currently is a strong Chinese influence in PI also. If you ask any Filipino what there ancestry is, it is usually a mix of Filipino, Spanish, and Chinese blood lines.

Just my two cents...
Aren't minorities usually represented by race as oppossed to specific ethnicity? You're lumped in with asian, so that is not considered a minority in the medical field. I could argue the same argument, and I am white and no one considers me a minority, although I am of Eastern European descent(a former Yugoslav country) and I can guess there is probably almost no one of the same ethnicity in medical school in the U.S. b/c we are very rare in the U.S.A. However, I am lumped in with "white" and therefore not a minority. Sux for both of us that minority goes by overall skin color / race rather than by actual ethnicity. I personally think Slavic people should be considered minorities. Just b/c their skin is white does not mean they are not under-represented in the U.S.A. or under-privledged. Look at all the former Soviet countries - Russia, Ukraine, Kazahkstahn(Borat :D), all the Yugoslav countries, Belarus, Maldova, Bulgaria, Romania, etc. Who would argue against the fact that they come from very poor countries and are heavily under-represented in American medicine. Why are they not minorities? Just because they happen to be from a cold region and have white skin? :confused: If any of you are Slavic, you know the culture and language is very different from the rest of Europe. Ok, I'll stop my rant now; this has been building up in me for quite some time.... :p

I think the term minority (in US society) implies underrepresented vs. ethnicity/color/race. So from this standpoint, I don't think that Filipinos are underrepresented in the medical field (relative to other "minorities".) "Asians" especially are not underrepresented in the field so it is kind fitting that we are grouped into this group. Do I think it's right? Hell no. I personally (if given the option) check off pacific islander NOT asian. Without going into too much of a cultural discussion, the Filipino culture is FAR different from other Asian countries. As porokeratosis has stated earlier, our culture and genetics come from so many different blood lines. They have even done research that shows that Filipinos are genetically closer to Malay/Polynesian blood lines when compared to ethnicities.

fozzy40

if we're considered URM in california and in the UC system, we sure as hell better be considered URM throughout the rest of the country.. hell, california is absolutely infested with flips, and despite that we're still URM there? it better be that way across the nation.. also, what's stopping me from selecting hawaiian? i mean, most hawaiians (as Dilly stated before) are filipinos so i can get away with it.. i can just say my family moved to florida from honolulu-- what are they gonna do, ask for my plane ticket? on top of that, people confuse me for being hawaiian as i am now

most spanish last names were used for tax collecting purposes, that or a "celebate" priest married a native indio.

do people think it is a problem that DO's have no outreach like SMEP to minority students (or do they)? i read somewhere the Osteopathy was known for opening its doors to women and minorities back in the day, but what about now? hollistic perspectives can be applied anywhere right?

"I personally (if given the option) check off pacific islander NOT asian. Without going into too much of a cultural discussion, the Filipino culture is FAR different from other Asian countries. As porokeratosis has stated earlier, our culture and genetics come from so many different blood lines. They have even done research that shows that Filipinos are genetically closer to Malay/Polynesian blood lines when compared to ethnicities."

fozzy40

i've always had this asian/pacific islander struggle also. but i dont think a genetic argument is really relevant here. asian is a too damn broad of a category anyway. if anything, it should be changed to south-east asian, east asian, and south asian. i understand the purpose of trying to lump people into groupings, racially and census-wise, but filipinos are always straddling every line. filipino is different from every culture, but at the same time has elements of every culture so its hard to objectively say our culture is different from other asians. yes, filipinos may be over/well represented in the healthcare fields, but how many are american schooled? this is not to pit filipinos against filams, but people always use statistics to their advantage, and unfortunately us filams are at a disadvantage if you lump all asians together, and all filipinos in healthcare together.

some parts of the country dont even have a pacific islander category. i say we have familiarities with other pacific islanders (polynesia, micronesia, melanesia) because of our neo-colonial relationship with the united states, and some pre/post colonial cultural things here and there. however, many pacific island nations, do not have the same geo-political history/outcomes as the philippines. therefore southeast asian is perhaps a closer category for filipinos. unfortunately this category rarely ever exists or is paid attention to.[/quote]

i have no idea how i missed this thread! in any case, i'm one of the lucky ones who got accepted. pcom, anyone? totally psyched about going to med school, but especially excited about visiting the homeland this summer before school starts! anyone else going to the phil as well? balut, here i come! j/k :D

...anyway, sorry i messed up the super intense convos going on here! for me, i just check the asian box, sometimes pacific islander, depends on the mood! haha!

Should I pick black or Pacific Islander or Asian?

Yeah...how did I miss this thread!....Filipino here already accepted to DMU...I was actually born in the philippines...immigrated when I was seven...just got my citizenship recently...go flips go!...lol...anyone planning on going back and maybe doing some pro-bono work back in the homeland?...definitely an option for me!:thumbup:

Yeah...how did I miss this thread!....Filipino here already accepted to DMU...I was actually born in the philippines...immigrated when I was seven...just got my citizenship recently...go flips go!...lol...anyone planning on going back and maybe doing some pro-bono work back in the homeland?...definitely an option for me!:thumbup:

fo sho! this summer, i'm actually going to do some work with gawad kalinga. nothing medical related, more building some houses, still fun though!

everyone still know their tagalog???

i know a lot of filipino physician associations do mission work annually. my friend (not in medicine) is going at the end of the month with a group from sacramento. they usually spend a week or two at a hospital, and another week or two to chill.