Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Any Filipino Applicants Accepted?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Doctor Wyldstyle, May 15, 2001.

1. Doctor Wyldstyle

Doctor Wyldstyle Senior Member

Any Filipino applicants accepted? I didn't see many at my interviews or among the medical students going to class. If you did, where to? Can you post your stats if you don't mind? Just curious...the stats aren't that important. Anyways...

Good Luck Everyone!!! :)

wyldstyle2000

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. wren1976

wren1976 Member

I've seen at least 4 including myself at Kirksville, Chicago Midwestern, and MSU-COM.

Miriam

4. aecuenca

aecuenca Senior Member

There are 3 of us at COMP, and two that are half-filipino.

Arnold
    WESTERN U/COMP CLASS OF 2004

5. Doctor Wyldstyle

Nice! I know of at least two going to COMP for the 2005 class. Any more filipinos accepted? I'm just curiuos because I have been told we are one of the most under represented in terms of asian groups and it seemed that way from what I saw.

wyldstyle

6. Eric714

Eric714 Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    you go Arnold.....flips represent!

7. melancholy

melancholy 1K Member

Attending Physician
    Are most of the Filipinos at COMP from California?

8. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    Just wanted to say.... Hello, I'm Pilipino and yes I got accepted.... I've been in hiatus from this forum because of my recent move to Des Moines. I will be attending DMU-OMC this fall.

wydle2000, its funny you mentioned that we are one of the underrepresented yet noone seems to recognize us.... I do agree that Pilipino's are definitely underrepresented as an individualize group, but most of the time we are categorized as "Asians."

I think we are even less represented in the Osteopathic profession. Though my thinking has no factual basis....

So, anymore Pilipinos out there?
    Are you Pilipino wydle2000?

Later,
    P :cool:

9. melancholy

melancholy 1K Member

Attending Physician
    When you mention you Filipinos are, most of the time, categorized as "Asians".. would the more accurate category to classify Filipinos come under "Pacific Islander" perhaps?

10. Popoy

Resident [Any Field]
    Even then.... Pacific Islanders are still not considered underrepresented.... Please correct me if I'm wrong....

11. Doctor Wyldstyle

Hey Popoy,

Yes, I am filipino and I am currently waitlisted at a few allopathic schools (although osteopathic was my first choice but I didn't have a DO letter of rec!!). Anyways, I don't think filipinos can be accurately classified as soley asian or pacific islander. Based on what I've read and own background, its a melting pot of different cultures. In regards to the question if pacific islanders are considered underrepresented, I believe they aren't. Most of the time they are lumped in with the asian category. I believe however that native hawaiians are considered URMs. Hope that helps. The info is from allopathic schoosl but it should be the same for the most part. Any other filipinos out there? :)

12. lemon

lemon Junior Member

Hi, I'm a pinay starting at COMP this fall also :D
    Can't wait. I've been applying to med school for 3 years in a row now and the persistence has paid off...
    Lemon

13. Popoy

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, well,... CONGRATULATIONS to you lemon.... Now you're there!!!

14. wren1976

wren1976 Member

did any of you guys qualify for any special-need financial aid? I don't think my school (MSUCOM) considers Filipinos minorities. I know for a fact that Univ of Michigan doesn't (couldn't get financial aid there for undergrad, so I didn't go there!).

Miriam