Any Financial Advice for Incoming Medical Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoannePrada

Lives for drama
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought the thread for the award miles credit card was cool and was wondering if any current/former medical students had any other advice or hacks when it comes to life/education expenses in medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Live like a student now and a doctor later. If you live like a doctor now, you'll end up living like a student later.

Avoid utilizing Grad Plus loans if possible.

Reactions: 3 users
Live like a student now and a doctor later. If you live like a doctor now, you'll end up living like a student later.

Avoid utilizing Grad Plus loans if possible.

Save like a mofo during MS3, cuz MS4 comes with a 5-20k bomb called away rotations and residency applications and interviews for which no school gives you sufficient financial aid. Save before or entertain either starving in a ****ty apt in a strange city or taking out loans at 6-8% interest or more.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I run a blog about these issues. I agree with all the above. As a med student, things can get crazy expensive- I just had to pay $1800+ to register for Step 2.... not to mention all the travel costs, aways and res apps coming my way next year. Its so important to be PROACTIVE in this area.

1. Make a habit of saving. Even if it's only a small amount--it will make things easier for you to save when you start getting a paycheck. And start saving early for M4... most of the time you don't qualify for as much in loans because you only have 9 months of expenses, but you have to pay for all those applications and travel for interviews.

2. Make a budget and use a different account than your direct deposit account for your loans to manage everyday expenses. Withdraw the money like cash if you need to.

3. If you have a traditional IRA from before Med school, consider converting it to a Roth during Med school, when you don't have any income and thus no taxes.

4. Learn to cook. It'll save your waistline and your wallet over the next four years.

Reactions: 1 user
-Minimize your expenses. Do not look to take out the maximum loan money you can - look to take out the minimum.
-Your tuition cost is set, but your books/fees can be variable and the rest of the estimated COA is up to you. Cook your own food, brew your own coffee, consider roommates or the studio in the still-safe-but-less-awesome part of town...
-Don't buy any books unless absolutely mandatory. Look to libraries (will often have electronic copies); people from years ahead of you. Share book costs with friends if possible. On the other hand, Step I and II study resources are worth it (FA, Pathoma, UWorld, etc.)
-You (most likely) don't have to buy an expensive otoscope or opthalmoscope - the WelchAllyn people will push it, but usually just a stethoscope will be all you need. And you probably don't need a fancy electronic version, either.
-Develop a budget and stick to it. It can be difficult to have a lump sum of money in the bank and have to break it into monthly allotments. You think it will last forever - and it won't.

-Understand your loan terms! Know how much you're borrowing and your rates. Have a repayment plan in mind.
-Know when your grace period starts and stops.
-Consider refinancing when you hit residency and use your tax returns from MS4.
-If you find out you took out too much, return it in the first 120 days from disbursement to avoid interest

-Budget for Step I, Step II CK and CS. Budget for aways. Budget for interviews.
-For aways/interviews: frequent flier miles, hotel rewards cards, churning, AirBNB, couchsurfing, asking friends in the area, camping. Try booking your interviews in blocks that will let you travel in easily planned routes to link up rental cars/trains/buses etc. Look for alternate ways to get there besides flying.

-Second the suggestions on Roth conversion.

-Invest in the important things. Don't try to make $5 dollars here or there if it will impact your studying. Invest in your mental health, physical health and relationships with the people that really matter.

Reactions: 1 users
^^^^camping before an interview. That would be legendary.

Interviewer:"How are you enjoying the city so far?"
You: "Seems nice, I slept in a tent last night"
Interviewer: "lmao u wild"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Ok. I'm gonna go the other way. Take out an extra $5k a year and just enjoy your life. Get the better apartment. Take out the extra loan. Your life may or may not be miserable and you should do what it takes to be happy. When you are an attending, it isn't that hard to pay off the extra $5k a year you spent to be happy. I know this from personal life.

When you are a resident, max out your 401k and roth IRA. Take out loans to do this.

Reactions: 2 users