Any Fine Arts majors out there?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by osumc2014, May 30, 2008.

1. osumc2014

Resident [Any Field]
    I am seriously considering switching my major to Studio Art and was wondering if anyone here has majored in that. I have all of my pre med requirements done and I just want to do something that really interests me in college. I am wondering if anyone here is currently majoring in art and whether or not it is extremely time consuming and taking away from the premed experience? Any advice would be appreciated!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DancerDocToBe

Pre-Medical
    Not studio art, but I'm majoring in dance. Means I'm not constantly in class with all the pre-med crazy kids. I enjoy that.

4. MedGirl08

MedGirl08 Surgeon in Training

Pre-Medical
    Do what you love! This is the best advice I can give. You may never have a chance again to explore that interest, go for it!

5. nu2004

Medical Student
    Are you a good test taker? The only reason I ask is that you will really want to own the MCAT if you do Studio Art as a major. This is for a couple of reasons:

1) You have no idea what kind of grades you'll be able to pull, since Studio Art grades are overwhelmingly subjective and you'll find yourself at the mercy of your profs.

2) Adcom members are less likely to be able to appreciate the academic rigor behind a degree like Studio Art (as opposed to something like Art History, where there is a clear expectation of analytic ability and critical thinking). Many in the sciences have very little appreciation for visual art in general (heck, many non-artists have very little appreciation for visual art). This isn't to say that if you maintain good grades you won't be a good candidate (in fact, with good grades and MCAT you'll probably stand out as someone they want to interview).

Just keep this in mind as you go down this path, and make absolutely certain that you have the ECs to demonstrate a desire in medicine, particularly clinical exposure. Some sort of medical or non-medical philanthropic work is a must, too. I had a friend with not-so-hot grades (~3.4) and a stellar MCAT (38) who was a Studio Art major as an undergrad, and he had 1 interview, 0 waitlists and 0 acceptances this past cycle. I think there were a lot of other things wrong with his app; I just bring up this anecdote to emphasize the importance of a well-rounded application.

Good luck! Enjoy the rest of college!

6. realjara

Medical Student
    My first bachelors was in Humanities/Music (many performance credits on my transcript). However, I did return and do a B.S. in biochem when I decided on medicine. This was because after completing the med pre-reqs, I was 4 classes away from another degree. I think any major is fine so long as you perform well on MCAT and have a good gpa. Be prepared to discuss your choice of majors in an interview situation. I was asked repeatedly about my decision to study medicine, because of my strong music/art background.

7. pianola

pianola MS2

Medical Student
    Last I checked, piano performance is a *very* fine art, so YES OP :)

Yay for Fine Arts!:thumbup: Yay for spending a bulk of one's courses completely unrelated to anything on the MCAT! :laugh:

P.S. I was a double major in non-science areas...definitely cost me an extra couple of years to get the pre-reqs done...

8. osumc2014

Resident [Any Field]
    Haha I'm glad there's artistic premed students out there! takes away from the regular stress of sciences that's for sure. Thanks for all of your responses, I'm going to look into our art major program here and see if I can complete it within 4 years!

9. cinematographie

Medical Student
    always do what will make you happy and what interests you the most. i, myself, am a theatre major! :)

10. MaryLennox

Medical Student
    i was a fine arts major. i think the biggest problem is how arbitrary grading can be. i was in lots of classes where EVERYONE got an A. which was nice. but i had lots of other classes where the teachers never gave A's and told us we shouldn't worry about our grades anyway, because all that matters is our portfolio. which is true if you want to do art for a living, but . . .

i think you would be fine if you just make sure you talk to your professors about the fact that, since you are a premed your grades DO matter, and just clarify what the expectations are and what you need to do in order to get a particular grade. as long as you are enthusiastic and show thoughtfulness and a good work ethic you should be able to get A's regardless of whether you're the best artist in the class. plus, if you take a lot of classes like sculpture or jewelry, stuff where you work with your hands, maybe that would look good if you want to go into surgery. (that's what i am hoping, anyway.) :)

oh, and lastly, and i am not saying you necessarily think this, but don't be fooled into thinking an art major will be stress free. i've spent this past year taking graduate science courses AND premed courses AND doing research, and not once have i felt as stressed as i used to in undergrad as an art major. depending on what you go into it can be very competitive and the pressure can be pretty overwhelming. critiques are the absolute worst. and studio art can be really time consuming, particularly if you want to make good grades.

anyway thats just my 2 cents, i didnt mean to scare you, i think i am just bitter because i hated my art program by the end. but as far as how it looks to schools, i would think they like the diversity it brings. also, i always hear that people who have an inclination towards visual arts do really well in anatomy, and i am happy to say in my case that was true!

11. pianola

pianola MS2

Medical Student
    So true, so true. I'm in the same boat as this poster and as a science grad student never have I *ever* felt as stressed as I did during my undergrad fine arts degree.

P.S. There is nothing that will eat up your free time and ego like a fine arts degree. Believe me, if you take the right classes, you'll realize that you could ALWAYS do a better job: you could have performed it better, read it more clearly, spent more time on it, rethought the message.

12. trahikat

Resident [Any Field]
    i was a fine arts MINOR in undergraduate, and while i really loved the experience, i agree with a couple of the above posters that doing it as a major probably would have sucked the life out of me. i WILL say that it's something very interesting to discuss during medical school interviews; i had a nice 20 minute discussion in one of my interviews about the media i use to paint.

maybe a minor would work better? :p

13. osumc2014

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes! I did some research and it seems that I have to take a year of art classes to even apply to the program then I have two more years (I am a Junior in the fall) So this won't work if I want to graduate in 4 years. I am definitely going to do the minor tho!

14. karakanvas

Pre-Medical
    A studio art major (on paper) would be also be useful if you wanted to get a job in art during your gap year or if you wanted to do art instead of science in the event that you decide not to go to med school. Keep in mind that having only an art major might work slightly against you if you want or need to apply for a full time job in a lab or in a science setting.

Also, if you just want to improve your drawing painting, etc. you don't necessarily need to major or minor in art. I don't know what your school's program is like, but often there are a lot of required classes that may not be all that productive especially if what you really want to do is go to med school. If you don't need the major on paper, you might get more benefit by researching which professors/artists you want to study with and just taking those classes. If you just want to experiment with different media and don't want to work under any specific artist, you can always take night classes at a community college to protect your GPA.

15. justapremed

Pre-Medical
    music/violin and biochemistry double major - love it :) but both are so rigorously time consuming.......

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. MaryLennox

Medical Student
    Oh yeah? and where was this? (must apply there . . . lol.) i can only hope someone finds my art crap interesting, i can talk a lot more confidently about gouache technique than i think i will be able to talk about my research experience. at least i know i wont screw up and say something that's completely scientifically wrong and sound like an idiot.

of course, im worried about even getting interviews, so hopefully someone will find my art background interesting enough to even pull my app out of a stack. :scared: thank god for state schools and my graduate institution, though, at least i have a small hope.

edited to add:

To the OP, good luck on your minor in art! what do you think you'll take?

I don't even know if any schools even still offer this, as its becoming so antiquated, but if it's at all possible . . . I took photography (like SLR cameras with film and actually developing your own photos, etc) and i really loved it. its just so different than anything else. also i think oil painting is annoying and expensive, and i'm too impatient for it, watercolor is much faster and cheaper, but less forgiving.

aww i feel all warm and fuzzy now i should go paint something

#15 MaryLennox, Jun 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2008