Any flexible psych gigs doable during downtime?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freddie Mercury

Bismillah! No, we will not let you go!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm almost done with fellowship and now plotting out what my career will look like. I will probably be working on an inpatient setting with a 4 day workweek, no call/weekends. I am trying to flesh out some flexible options to make some extra money that I could do during downtime, breaks, afterhours, weekends etc but I wouldn't have to commit long periods of time or entire days/weekends.

For example, an ideal gig would be doing some kind of chart review which I could do when work is slow, or on weekends while I'm waiting for laundry to be done, etc. Another thought might be tele-psych, if it could be an "urgent care" type setting where people need refills or something, overnight coverage of a clinic etc. One of my IM friends did some work with a company called Teladoc, where he could just log-in any time, see some patients in a virtual waiting room, give recommendations, prescribe medication etc, and then log off whenever he wanted. Teladoc had availability for psychiatrists, but when I talked to them, it seemed more like they wanted you to do full intakes and build up a panel you would follow up with, which definitely isn't what I wanted.

I'm still fairly new to the job hunt so I'm not sure what to look for exactly.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Start your inpatient job first post fellowship. Then after 1-2 months, figure out if you still want to do a side gig. Don't rush into it.

Reactions: 7 users
I just saw an ad for Billings clinic (the big health system in Billings, MT) that was looking for sort of per diem or part time telehealth coverage. I know they have an EMPATH unit, among other services, so probably need someone for nights/weekends. The ad sounded like they were pretty flexible with the amount someone would be able to work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Teladoc - or its one of the others? (some other thread on IM or FM forums I believe) - has been getting a bad rap with harsh draconian treatment of theirs docs and sending people to NPI database for things that should be mere HR issues not reportable offenses, and they pushing people into volume emphasis over clinical quality. Something to be aware of that as quickly as these telemed firms are popping up and trying to expand they are being driven by influences that likely don't have any respect for you.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
For example, an ideal gig would be doing some kind of chart review which I could do when work is slow, or on weekends while I'm waiting for laundry to be done, etc.

Pretty sure you can do this for Medicare/caid and be reimbursed X dollars per review. May be available for insurance companies as well. Will do a search later and report back if I find any.

Reactions: 1 users
I just saw an ad for Billings clinic (the big health system in Billings, MT) that was looking for sort of per diem or part time telehealth coverage. I know they have an EMPATH unit, among other services, so probably need someone for nights/weekends. The ad sounded like they were pretty flexible with the amount someone would be able to work.
Do I need to be licensed for MT in this case? I'm in California if that matters. I don't mind obtaining other state licenses if the process isn't too difficult.

Teladoc - or its one of the others? (some other thread on IM or FM forums I believe) - has been getting a bad rap with harsh draconian treatment of theirs docs and sending people to NPI database for things that should be mere HR issues not reportable offenses, and they pushing people into volume emphasis over clinical quality. Something to be aware of that as quickly as these telemed firms are popping up and trying to expand they are being driven by influences that likely don't have any respect for you.
Yeah it was Teladoc specifically. Thanks for the heads up about the HR type issues - definitely glad I didn't sign.

Pretty sure you can do this for Medicare/caid and be reimbursed X dollars per review. May be available for insurance companies as well. Will do a search later and report back if I find any.
Wow that sounds perfect. Would appreciate any updates if you found anything.

Hi everyone,

For example, an ideal gig would be doing some kind of chart review which I could do when work is slow, or on weekends while I'm waiting for laundry to be done, etc.
You typically need 3-5 years post-board certification to do chart reviews for insurance appeals. No harm in applying and seeing if anything lands. These don't tend to pay very well so really are best done by people straight out of training if they'll accept them. You need to have the specific experience as well (e.g. you need to be working inpatient to do inpatient reviews, residential for residential, ECT/TMS for that etc). Typically $90-110/hr, usually payment is non-negotiable. It takes a while at first for you to get the hang of reviewing and writing your report so it will likely take longer than that until you automate the process (e.g. know your guidelines such as ASAM and criteria such as InterQual etc). Then you could potentially do them more quickly. You won't have volume unless you sign up with multiple companies.

I no longer do this because it is not worth my time and they won't negotiate on pay. But it can be some pocket money during downtime in an inpatient gig etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow that sounds perfect. Would appreciate any updates if you found anything.

Sounds like Splik answered the question far more thoroughly above, but here's a couple job listings I found with a brief google search:

I'm sure there's more out there and others would have better advice as to how to actually find these jobs without going through 3rd party recruitment sites.

Sounds like Splik answered the question far more thoroughly above, but here's a couple job listings I found with a brief google search:

I'm sure there's more out there and others would have better advice as to how to actually find these jobs without going through 3rd party recruitment sites.
I have explored UR but the pay is on the low side. I have done some personal injury UR/ bill contest affidavits and they pay my requested fee (about 5 x the usual UR fee). Most of those cases will be in the 2-3 hour range. One such case evolved into a full IME.

Thanks, put in a few inquiries and still waiting to hear back.

Also - anyone worked with Talkdoc before? Seems pretty flexible with decent support, with their primary patient population being medicaid. The pay I was quoted was a little lower then Teladoc, but the work seemed more flexible.

Thanks, put in a few inquiries and still waiting to hear back.

Also - anyone worked with Talkdoc before? Seems pretty flexible with decent support, with their primary patient population being medicaid. The pay I was quoted was a little lower then Teladoc, but the work seemed more flexible.
I talked with their recruiter on the phone the other day. I turned them down. It just sounded like a dangerous setup for me. They said it's mostly audio only calls without a video feed. The guy was unsure what happens after you see a patient....if they have a bad reaction to the meds, need adjustment, etc. It sounds very much like psych urgent care to me.

Further, after my experience in residency, I'd be hesitant to do any type of medicaid only panel via telemedicine due to the preponderance of substance use/cluster b patients.

Reactions: 4 users
Interested in learning more about this also - I'll be doing outpatient work M-F but have no call responsibilities at this point and would be interested in working the occasional weekend. Not sure how easy this would be to find but would be cool to do some virtual CL or ED work to change things up.

You typically need 3-5 years post-board certification to do chart reviews for insurance appeals. No harm in applying and seeing if anything lands. These don't tend to pay very well so really are best done by people straight out of training if they'll accept them. You need to have the specific experience as well (e.g. you need to be working inpatient to do inpatient reviews, residential for residential, ECT/TMS for that etc). Typically $90-110/hr, usually payment is non-negotiable. It takes a while at first for you to get the hang of reviewing and writing your report so it will likely take longer than that until you automate the process (e.g. know your guidelines such as ASAM and criteria such as InterQual etc). Then you could potentially do them more quickly. You won't have volume unless you sign up with multiple companies.

I no longer do this because it is not worth my time and they won't negotiate on pay. But it can be some pocket money during downtime in an inpatient gig etc.
I looked into something very similar to this. I would recommend checking BCBS. When I called around the rate they offered was $120 ish, (but for child psych instead of adult).

Sadly they required board certification... so that kicked my arse into gear and I am sitting for the boards this year and will re-apply. Most of the really cush chart reading jobs need board cert. :'(