Any former attorneys going to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ETseq

Pre-D.O.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:hello: I am new here. My hubby found this forum last night while we were obsessing over med school (for me), MCAT, etc., and I am thrilled to find this board AND a non-trad section! I was pre-med, but ended up going to law school. I was a single mother at the time, and it seemed better suited for me with an earlier return...I have been an attorney for four years, and I knew after 1L that it was not something I would be happy doing.

So now that my child is grown I am thinking of med school again. (I also have a Masters in English and teach "on the side.") Am I crazy? Is anyone else here in this position? I dread the MCAT after so many years away from the sciences, but I think I want to do it!

Members don't see this ad.

:hello: I am new here. My hubby found this forum last night while we were obsessing over med school (for me), MCAT, etc., and I am thrilled to find this board AND a non-trad section! I was pre-med, but ended up going to law school. I was a single mother at the time, and it seemed better suited for me with an earlier return...I have been an attorney for four years, and I knew after 1L that it was not something I would be happy doing.

So now that my child is grown I am thinking of med school again. (I also have a Masters in English and teach "on the side.") Am I crazy? Is anyone else here in this position? I dread the MCAT after so many years away from the sciences, but I think I want to do it!

There are many of us former gunslingers. If you are crazy we all are. (not sure if that answers your question though:))

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a former lawyer, but a former engineer. I suspect it's just about as hard. ;) I start my post-bacc at KU Aug. 13!!

--Tracia

Thanks for the links...I am working my way through them. I am happy to know that I'm not the only one! How hard was the decision for you? Not in terms of it being what you wanted to do, but sacrificing an existing career and financial stability for a HUGE school commitment and the prospect of having no life outside of school for the next four years? I know it is doable, and actually exciting, but it's SUCH a big decision!

Thanks for the links...I am working my way through them. I am happy to know that I'm not the only one! How hard was the decision for you? Not in terms of it being what you wanted to do, but sacrificing an existing career and financial stability for a HUGE school commitment and the prospect of having no life outside of school for the next four years? I know it is doable, and actually exciting, but it's SUCH a big decision!

Well, here's my process for you, if it helps (it's different from yours of course). I'm 32 now, and practiced law for seven years. I also learned after my summer working for a firm after my 2L year that it wasn't for me, but I stuck it out as well. I also tried several areas of the law. About two years ago I decided that I was fed up with doing something that felt meaningless to me (but paid well), that I wasn't getting any younger, and that I could, in fact, do anything I wanted to if I set my heart and mind to it. Since my heart was set on medicine, I decided to take the plunge. Sure, all of my friends (and initially my family) thought I was crazy. But I just didn't care.

I don't have any dependents, but I did have an expensive condo, expensive car, high spending habits, etc. So, I made a plan, and decided that I would quit a year from when I made my decision (I actually thought about med school on and off for about 2 years prior to that point, but didn't really think it was possible for some reason until then). During that year while I still worked, I sold my condo and downsized, sold my Lexus for a Kia, cut my spending habits, and applied to and was accepted into a post-bac program. I also decided that I wanted to test the waters a little first since I never actually took pre-med classes, and didn't want to dive in if I couldn't swim. So, I took Chem I as a Saturday course during the last five months I was working (Spring semester), found that I was able to switch my brain back into science/learning mode, and got an A. So, I quit my job and went back to school full-time, taking Bio I & II and Chem II (with all labs) over the summer. I did have a relationship during that summer, and it was definitely a strain to maintain since I was in class almost all day and studying every night and pretty tense during exams. I then continued with Physics I & II and Orgo I and II over the course of the past year, and have been studying for the MCAT the past two months.

Another necessary change was getting involved with clinical health care ASAP so I could be sure that I knew what I was getting into, and that I was making an informed decision. I started volunteering evenings in a local ER after work, and found that I loved it. I definitely preferred to be doing my volunteer scut job than my high-paying attorney job. I helped with some clinical research in the ER as well, but found that I really wanted to do more for the patients and get some hands on experience. I also had become horrified at what the prospect of self-insurance entailed (both for myself and patients at the hospital), so I decided to volunteer at a free health clinic. My experiences there have been wonderful, and I highly recommend that you search for a free health clinic to help out in. I could go on and on about it, but I won't here.

There is no question that it has been hard to make the transition of making money to making no money. It would have been much easier to do this as a college student with no mortgage. And I'm sure it would be even harder with kids, but perhaps your husband will be an asset there (even if your child is now grown up). I also went from a very active social life to only seeing my friends once a month or every other month. But I feel that it's worth the sacrifice, and when I see them, I make it "count." Usually I'd see them right after an exam. Then there's the price of about $20,000 for my post-bac classes, which hopefully you won't have to fork out since you were once a pre-med.

You can definitely do this if the desire is there. As for the MCAT, I'm assuming you probably took your pre-reqs about 8 years ago, so you'll probably need to do some good reviewing for the MCAT. I'd recommend studying a little first, but if you want to see what the MCAT is like now, just go to www.e-mcat.com and take CBT 3. It's by the makers of the real MCAT, and will give you an idea of what to expect and a break-down by topic of your weaknesses. The MCAT is a beast, but I think once you learn its language, it's definitely possible to get a 30. Mine is in a week....

Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I was exactly where you are about two years ago. To be honest, the time flew.

and the prospect of having no life outside of school for the next four years? I know it is doable, and actually exciting, but it's SUCH a big decision!

Actually, its pretty much a minimum of 7, with year 5 probably being the worst.

Actually, its pretty much a minimum of 7, with year 5 probably being the worst.

I can't comment on year 5, but I think it's possible to have a life during much of those 7 years. Sure, you're not going to have a ton of spare time, but most people manage to still keep up their hobbies and spend time with friends and family for most of their training. I don't think the op needs to feel like her training would necessitate her being a neglectful or absentee mother or anything like that. Also, as an attorney, I'm sure she's also used to lots of long hours.

As for the topic, yep, there are lots of ex-legal folks hanging around here. I have a JD but never practiced -- I was also one of those people who knew I hated it from pretty early on but decided to bail sooner than most. As far as I know, I'm the only one in my class. I've got to admit I try to keep it to myself, though, because it does lead to lots of tiresome questions from my classmates who assume that all lawyers are ambulance chasers. I didn't face any real hostility from interviewers, though.

I'm in the same position, however, I fear that many "admissions" people might not take me seriously and label me as a career student <g>.

If you're like me I found Law although eminently interesting to be lacking somewhat in the service end of things. In other words, I didn't really feel like I was helping anyone.

But no you're not alone... and some of what I did at least might help me pay so that I can be broke again <g>.

Maybe we just miss the chase? who knows.

I can't comment on year 5, but I think it's possible to have a life during much of those 7 years. Sure, you're not going to have a ton of spare time, but most people manage to still keep up their hobbies and spend time with friends and family for most of their training. I don't think the op needs to feel like her training would necessitate her being a neglectful or absentee mother or anything like that. Also, as an attorney, I'm sure she's also used to lots of long hours.

As for the topic, yep, there are lots of ex-legal folks hanging around here. I have a JD but never practiced -- I was also one of those people who knew I hated it from pretty early on but decided to bail sooner than most. As far as I know, I'm the only one in my class. I've got to admit I try to keep it to myself, though, because it does lead to lots of tiresome questions from my classmates who assume that all lawyers are ambulance chasers. I didn't face any real hostility from interviewers, though.

Thanks for the insight Doc. I plan on keeping it on the QT as well because i'd rather not field the questions concerning well why would they try to sue me for this or that... and come on the basics of tort law and negligence can be learned in an afternoon... Who really wants to participate in half hour med school discussions over the reasonable person standard? lol