Any future Stony Brook University Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentisttobe1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking to see who is headed there?

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to SB, and my co-worker Chart is an IDIOT!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure what your co worker has to do with this, but I am deciding between a couple of schools and need to make a decision quickly. Is SB a good choice? My other option is the University of Buffalo? Thanks.

dentisttobe1,

I have to say I had the same choice. The intimacy at SB was a real selling point. Not only the small class size, but the faculty that I met, the facilities and the area itself. What's nice is that you will be in a quiet, setting away from all of the crazy city life, but if you want to have some fun, the island offers plenty (including some nice beaches). AND, you're also close to NYC if you really need to get away from school for a while. Can't beat that!

You can't go wrong with either in my opinion, but SB seems to have a stellar reputation academically, with research and with preparing students for the real world. Now I sound like they're paying me...

Do you have offers from both schools? I hear that may first represented a date on which you had to make a decision? Any pressure from either school?

I do have offers from both schools and I think I am going to choose UB because I only live an hour away in Rochester. I am getting pressure to choose and that is why I was looking for thoughts. You did a real nice job trying to sell SB but I was more looking for information about the school, not the location. Thanks

I'm in Rochester too... SB is looking for more people from upstate. What do you want to know about the school? I've visited several times since my GFs family lives nearby.

Where in Rochester? I am from the west side of town. I am just curious about the rigor of the program and how their reputation will benefit me both in that area and throughout the state.

Hi dentisttobe1,

I will be attending Stony Brook dental in the fall! Although I do not currently go there, I know that Stony Brook has an amazing reputation. All of the dentists I have spoken with speak very highly of it. The clinics are always packed, and just like Buffalo you get your own chair. Unlike Buffalo, SB students spend the first year and a half with the medical students. They also start clinic in their second year. Plus, there is a lot of one on one interactions since the class size is so small. The faculty seem very nice and they really get to know you. One of the dental students told me that there were a few instructors that came in during the weekends/night to help students before the boards.

I hope this helps!

That is more along the lines of what I was looking for-thank you. Sonofapizzaman-you said you were in the same position as me-these same 2 schools?

I live on Monroe.

The clinics are set up similar to that of a real dental office as far as scheduling is concerned. There is a staff there to help with that. There is also one major benefit (in my eyes): The area has a different patient pool than UB. As already mentioned, the clinic is very busy, so you'll have no shortage of patients. The bonus is that the patients tend to be a little more affluent in the SB area and can sometimes want a wider array of procedures. This can only be good for preparation for the real world.

Also, the early (2nd year) clinical work is just another bonus.

As far as being close to home. I get that and I figure that a train ride is easy and will allow me to study instead of drive. Plus, if you want to be home fast, plane rides are cheap. And think about the weather!

So are you telling me that you are going to SB? It sounds like you have made up your mind already and couldn't be happier about the choice. I work down in the Monroe Ave area-maybe we should get together for a drink and meet up and talk?

I live on Monroe.

The clinics are set up similar to that of a real dental office as far as scheduling is concerned. There is a staff there to help with that.
We do our own scheduling 2nd and 3rd years. There are coordinators in 4th year that do our scheduling for us. In children's clinic in years 2 and 3 our coordinator does all the scheduling.

There is also one major benefit (in my eyes): The area has a different patient pool than UB. As already mentioned, the clinic is very busy, so you'll have no shortage of patients.
True. I think we have too many patients at the moment.

The bonus is that the patients tend to be a little more affluent in the SB area and can sometimes want a wider array of procedures. This can only be good for preparation for the real world.
They still don't want to pay if they have money... and most of them are medicaid or just can't afford much at all.

Also, the early (2nd year) clinical work is just another bonus.
Don't get me wrong, any clinical experience is good. But 2nd year is mainly exams/xrays, prophies (cleanings), a couple extractions during rotation, and limited operative (fillings). When I say limited, I mean that the average # of fillings per student was around 14 done over a 9 month period.

In 3rd year we probably do 14 fillings in a couple months or so, depending on how we scheduled our patients. Some weeks will be filled with crowns, dentures, extractions, etc.

I would still call it a bonus but I just want to make it clear what 2nd year clinic is all about.

I don't usually browse this subforum so if you have a question you can PM me. Or if you want to reply to this thread, also send me a PM that you posted a question here.