Any Gay, Liberal, Atheist Pre-Meds Out There?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ooh ooh. Me me. Gay, Libertarian, Atheist...and Asian.

Members don't see this ad.

OSUdoc08 said:
You can't expect a bisexual to understand, since they don't find any type of sex disgusting.

Really? Nothing is off the table? You mean like abasiophilia? Or acrotomophilia? Or even agalmatophilia, algolagnia, amaurophilia, andromimetophilia, apodysophilia, apotemnophilia, aquaphilia, aretifism, ashpyxiophilia, autogynephilia, biastrophilia, coprophilia, crush fetish, dacryphilia, diaper fetishism, emetophilia, ephebophilia, eproctophilia, exhibitionism, frotteurism, galactophilia, gerontophilia, haemophilia, harpaxophilia, hematolagnia, hybristophilia, infantilism, klismaphilia, lust murder, macrophilia, maiesiophilia, masochism, microphilia, mysophilia, necrophilia, mecrozoophilia, nepiophilia, pedophilia, pictophilia, plushophilia, pyrophilia, sadism, sitophilia, telephone scatologia, teratophilia, transformation fetish, transvestic fetishism, trochophilia, urolagnia, vorarephilia, voyeurism, xenophilia, zoophilia or zoosadism?

Wow, those bisexuals are some F-ed up people. Where can I find some?

Havarti666 said:
Wow, those bisexuals are some F-ed up people. Where can I find some?
:thumbup:

Great post. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
SuzieQ3417 said:
:thumbup:

Great post. :laugh:

LMAO agreed... makes me wanna go back and change my previous answer. LOL

So I missed the majority of this thread. Shoot me if this has been touched upon extensively. That description's fairly accurate for me, depending on the definition of liberal. How about classic liberal? Libertarian?

Socially liberal, economically capitalist? Yes? No? ;)

Also, I like to pretend I'm agnostic, and not atheist. But I'm an atheist, despite what I say. Yes, it's a leap of faith, like any theology. Yes, it's arrogant to claim, without a doubt, that I know there is no god. So I don't claim it. I just admit I don't believe in one.

kaat44 said:
God also woman so that she was receptive to intercourse even when she was not ovulating--we are one of the only species where this is so. Sex for humans is not just procreational, there is a social aspect too that you cannot ignore. God made that too.

I also respect your point that we are not coming from the same place. It is amazing that we can see the world SO differently. I guess I believe that regardless of what you believe, how you live your life is the most important--aka giving yourself to making the world a better place, striving to do the right, just thing at all times--and if Christianity helps you to do that great! I guess the only thing is part of my "being a good person" means accepting all different people for who they are, and the being against homosexual acts doesn't really fit that. So we are back to our differing beliefs! Anyway just commenting on how many pretty amazing people there are out there and how they all got to somewhat the same place using different belief systems...makes you believe there is some universal goodness out there :D

Also, I was wondering if you support George W? Since most of my Christian friends are pretty liberal I am biased, but a lot of them think his war-mongering is contrary to their Christian beliefs, but he is with you on abortion, gay marriage etc.

yes people are pretty amazing and when i really think about it, i find it amazing how God could have created all this, each individual with their own specific genes and characteristics.

About George W.... well i do NOT agree with his war or any of his foreign policies related to this war. I think he's at the point he can't admit he's wrong and won't back down now...the senseless loss of life :( ...those poor families.

Psycho Doctor said:
yes people are pretty amazing and when i really think about it, i find it amazing how God could have created all this, each individual with their own specific genes and characteristics.

About George W.... well i do NOT agree with his war or any of his foreign policies related to this war. I think he's at the point he can't admit he's wrong and won't back down now...the senseless loss of life :( ...those poor fa,ilies.

You DO realize that this is the policy of the entire cabinet, and it is very unlikely that President Bush himself came up with the ideas and decisions about the whole thing.

I find it amusing when people blame all of their problems on one person. The same thing would have happened if a different republican president were in office.

OSUdoc08 said:
You DO realize that this is the policy of the entire cabinet, and it is very unlikely that President Bush himself came up with the ideas and decisions about the whole thing.

I find it amusing when people blame all of their problems on one person. The same thing would have happened if a different republican president were in office.
of course i know he alone didn't decide all the foreign policy; but she did ask me about him; the thing is i no longer want a republican president nor a democratic one :(

Psycho Doctor said:
of course i know he alone didn't decide all the foreign policy; but she did ask me about him; the thing is i no longer want a republican president nor a democratic one :(

I'll continue to vote straight ticket Republican, thank you.

OSUdoc08 said:
I'll continue to vote straight ticket Republican, thank you.
well when the war has ended perhaps i can agree; generally i evaluate their platforms, but it doesn't change much.

so you agree with the war?

Psycho Doctor said:
well when the war has ended perhaps i can agree; generally i evaluate their platforms, but it doesn't change much.

so you agree with the war?

If I had a choice between war and dearming America and rendering us defenseless, I'll pick the war, every time.

OSUdoc08 said:
If I had a choice between war and dearming America and rendering us defenseless, I'll pick the war, every time.
defenseless? how about we secure things at home rather than fight in a war that we have no business in and hardly anyone believes in

Members don't see this ad :)
Psycho Doctor said:
defenseless? how about we secure things at home rather than fight in a war that we have no business in and hardly anyone believes in

If a democrat enters office, there will be no securing at home or abroad.

OSUdoc08 said:
perhaps and believe me i'm not happy with most of what will happen if a democrat gets into office. unfortunately i'm pretty sure one will next b/c of how unpopular Bush is right now. But I wish the war was over and no more people lost their life over there. :(

Psycho Doctor said:
But I wish the war was over and now more people lost their life over there. :(

me too. :(

OSUdoc08 said:
That's true but to the same extent with the Republicans too.

Anyone remember the ads by Pat Buchanan in 04 which showed illegals getting arrested? What was he consitutional party?

ok.... next, why don't we all post our grocery lists and shoe sizes. Those are about as relevant to the thread title as religion, celebrities we think are hot, and opinions of the war. Geesh. Can just ONE thread with the word gay in it stay focused?

Flopotomist said:
ok.... next, why don't we all post our grocery lists and shoe sizes. Those are about as relevant to the thread title as religion, celebrities we think are hot, and opinions of the war. Geesh. Can just ONE thread with the word gay in it stay focused?
No. The self-control you're asking for is completely and utterly superhuman, judging by this thread. ;) I have to confess that my favorite posts here so far are the ones where Christians of different denominations begin arguing amongst themselves about morality, politics, and even theology. :laugh: Does no one else here appreciate the irony?

Flopotomist said:
C'mon Flop, people of the same sex that we would do is kind of on topic, no? :oops: What do you want to talk about? I'm game.

And I think religion - or more accurately, our reasons for not having one - is also appropriate. (Although yes, theistic debate doesn't really have a place.)

Liberals pretty much all agree about the war (and interestingly, seem to agree with Psychodoc), so there isn't much to discuss there, among ourselves.

QofQuimica said:
Does no one else here appreciate the irony?
I definitely do.

And, considering that this thread had been banished to the second page before the most recent debate began, I guess we should be grateful... since we seem to be too apathetic to post regularly. ;)

Post, liberal atheist gay people! (Oh, and vote too.) :p

trustwomen said:
I definitely do.

And, considering that this thread had been banished to the second page before the most recent debate began, I guess we should be grateful... since we seem to be too apathetic to post regularly. ;)

Post, liberal atheist gay people! (Oh, and vote too.) :p
I like you, trustwomen. :thumbup: You're a funny girl. :)

dopaminesurge said:
Socially liberal, economically capitalist? Yes? No? ;)

This reasoning is ridiculous. Having grown up CT, I know too many people that are socially liberal but economically conservative. It doesn't make sense and they contradict themselves all the time. All it really means is that they want to help those that are dependent on the government by showing support for various inefficient programs, but they want someone else to pay for those programs. It is a symbolic stance that really has no substance whatsoever.

QofQuimica said:
I like you, trustwomen. :thumbup: You're a funny girl. :)
Thanks. :love:

I must admit I'm quite hooked on SDN. I came here for interview tips in March, and told myself it was temporary - a nice reassurance that I wasn't the only one freaking out while waiting for an acceptance. I got in, but nearly a month later I'm still here. :oops:

Some people (including yourself, Q, and many other liberal-types on this thread and elsewhere) are quite witty, wise, and clearly brilliant: knowing they exist, and will be doctors, makes me smile. Overall, however, I find SDN to be on the conservative side. (Or maybe the conservative side is more devoted and/or posts more.) I usually comfort myself about the state of the world by thinking that all the right-thinking compassionate liberals are just too busy surviving to make themselves heard right now, and that these sleeping giants will wake soon, when things get too extreme... and bring the right-wingers down all at once, like an "up-to-there" mom finally restraining her bratty selfish kids.

But I'm having a "crisis of faith" in that respect. :( I'm starting to suspect that most people really don't know what's going on, or don't care about others beyond their own little circles. I know, that's what animals do, why should I expect humans to be that different - altruism is evolutionarily counterproductive. But there is a spark of it, there have been so many examples and so much real good, why isn't it winning?

Sigh, maybe I just need to get some sleep...

VPDcurt said:
This reasoning is ridiculous. Having grown up CT, I know too many people that are socially liberal but economically conservative. It doesn't make sense and they contradict themselves all the time. All it really means is that they want to help those that are dependent on the government by showing support for various inefficient programs, but they want someone else to pay for those programs. It is a symbolic stance that really has no substance whatsoever.
It's not too far fetched. You are associating all social programs with being socially liberal. For me being socially liberal is two main things:

Pro-Choice and Pro Gay Marriage rights.

Libertarians basically believe the government should stay out of their homes.

BrettBatchelor said:
It's not too far fetched. You are associating all social programs with being socially liberal. For me being socially liberal is two main things:

Libertarians basically believe the government should stay out of their homes.
As I mentioned before, I can find a lot of common ground with libertarians on many issues, but it's the inherent dog-eat-dog social darwinism of the libertarian position that bothers me. It may well be the natural order of things, but I don't like it and I feel that since we know better, we could do better than that.

As for inefficiency, that happens in so-called "free markets" too... you don't scrap the whole concept of collective action and mutual aid because some of the details need tweaking. IMO.

trustwomen said:
As I mentioned before, I can find a lot of common ground with libertarians on many issues, but it's the inherent dog-eat-dog social darwinism of the libertarian position that bothers me. It may well be the natural order of things, but I don't like it and I feel that since we know better, we could do better than that.

As for inefficiency, that happens in so-called "free markets" too... you don't scrap the whole concept of collective action and mutual aid because some of the details need tweaking. IMO.
The dog eat dog mentality isn't libertarian. They believe the burden of charity (read welfare, etc.) should be shifted to private charities/churches/common people rather than be a government issue.

This shouldn't be too shocking to many people considering 1 billion dollars was wasted post Katrina. The government is inefficient at this sort of thing.

BrettBatchelor said:

I think socially liberal (even from a libertarian point of view) is more than that. I'd think it also includes:

-opposing sex discrimination
-opposing racial discrimination
-opposing all discrimination against gays and lesbians (not just marriage)
-but also opposing affirmative action of any kind
i.e. supporting a mythical "meritocracy", somehow magically believing that you can have equality of opportunity (a level playing field) without the redistribution of wealth or any other government intervention.

Actually, I think libertarians have a lot in common with pagans: "Harming none, do what thou wilt". (But they only include direct harm in that equation.)

All in all, I can appreciate libertarians a lot of the time. That also counts for those rare and precious religious folks that actually believe in living life in the service of others (i.e. "good" that winds up being larger than their own egos).

BrettBatchelor said:
The dog eat dog mentality isn't libertarian. They believe the burden of charity (read welfare, etc.) should be shifted to private charities/churches/common people rather than be a government issue.

This shouldn't be too shocking to many people considering 1 billion dollars was wasted post Katrina. The government is inefficient at this sort of thing.
I understand that frustration, but what about when private charities/churches/common people will just NOT step in adequately? There is just no way, if the gov't got out of wealth redistribution, that everybody would chip in enough, of their own good will.

Especially in a capitalist society that equates wealth with status. We simply are not that enlightened.

From what I can understand, a lot of the "wasted" Katrina money was actually misappropriated to enrich friends of the government officials that managed it. Speculation, as it were. Vultures. I agree, disgusting. Is the private sector immune to fraud and kickbacks? (Enron?)

trustwomen said:
I understand that frustration, but what about when private charities/churches/common people will just NOT step in adequately? There is just no way, if the gov't got out of wealth redistribution, that everybody would chip in enough, of their own good will.

Especially in a capitalist society that equates wealth with status. We simply are not that enlightened.

Thats true there will never be a utopia no matter how hard any faction tries to achieve one. Humans will always disagree with one another.

trustwomen said:

From what I can understand, a lot of the "wasted" Katrina money was actually misappropriated to enrich friends of the government officials that managed it. Speculation, as it were. Vultures. I agree, disgusting. Is the private sector immune to fraud and kickbacks? (Enron?)
Consider how much extra money would come into everyone's hands if government lowered taxes and got out of the welfare business.

It would do two things: Stimulate the economy creating new job opportunities and give people more money for charitable donations.

aliziry said:
Thats true there will never be a utopia no matter how hard any faction tries to achieve one. Humans will always disagree with one another.
But while utopia may not be possible, we can still strive towards "better", without expecting "perfect". Yes, I'm a starry-eyed idealist.

BrettBatchelor said:
Consider how much extra money would come into everyone's hands if government lowered taxes and got out of the welfare business.

It would do two things: Stimulate the economy creating new job opportunities and give people more money for charitable donations.
I seriously doubt that charitable donations would actually go up anywhere near to where they would need to be to avoid the bleakest and darkest of darwinian nightmares.

And as for the economy, we have trapped ourselves in a death spiral. Capitalist "growth" means constant expansion of markets, production, and population - but our world is finite: meaning the economy will have to implode at some point.

I hope I'm not violating my previous oath here. Brett, do you consider yourself gay, atheist or liberal? ;)

trustwomen said:
I seriously doubt that charitable donations would actually go up anywhere near to where they would need to be to avoid the bleakest and darkest of darwinian nightmares.

And as for the economy, we have trapped ourselves in a death spiral. Capitalist "growth" means constant expansion of markets, production, and population - but our world is finite: meaning the economy will have to implode at some point.

I hope I'm not violating my previous oath here. Brett, do you consider yourself gay, atheist or liberal? ;)
Socially liberal ;) agnostic/deist....I tend to waver.

:luck: What is the point even talking about social programs when this was in Iraq is breaking the bank?

I'm not entirely serious, but I think people get rallied around anti-welfare too quickly and use it as an excuse to go off on how "lazy" welfare recipients are (not necessary your BrettBatchelor, just venting in general). I see your point about the government being inefficient in distributing money, but instead of focusing on charity or no charity, why don't we get to the root of the problem? What CAUSES welfare recipients? Unplanned pregnancy is one. First, reduce the number of unplanned pregnancies by allowing greater access to contraceptive information (aka no abstinence-only education) and abortion services. Two, have welfare include more reliable childcare, encouraging moms to work rather than receive checks but having their children taken care of....

Anyway, my tangent. I just think that bashing on welfare is an easy solution to a complex problem. Let's be frank, the government isn't in trillion+ debt because we gave it all to welfare moms. Our foreign policy is way more expensive.

I'm just extremely resentful of this president who is the worst of both worlds: socially conservative and fiscally irresponsible. I don't think you have to be fiscally irresponsible to support social programs, you just have to have different goals (aka more moderate military spending).

I am definitely very in favor of government social programs (how can a government let children go hungry, even if their parents are lazy? call me naive, but I trust people try as hard as they can under the circumstances, and working with welfare recipients/uninsured patients hasn't changed my opinion)....BUT this current administration is so irresponsible it's ridiculous.

I guess what can you expect from a system where spending more than you earn helps the economy go round, not that I am against capitalism...Anyway. A happy medium must be somewhere, please god!
BrettBatchelor said:

isn't there a lounge for random discussions off topic? lets close this thread and just let it die.

kaat44 said:
:luck: What is the point even talking about social programs when this was in Iraq is breaking the bank?
The maintenance of the military is a fundamental function of the federal government IMO.

kaat44 said:
I'm not entirely serious, but I think people get rallied around anti-welfare too quickly and use it as an excuse to go off on how "lazy" welfare recipients are (not necessary your BrettBatchelor, just venting in general). I see your point about the government being inefficient in distributing money, but instead of focusing on charity or no charity, why don't we get to the root of the problem? What CAUSES welfare recipients? Unplanned pregnancy is one. First, reduce the number of unplanned pregnancies by allowing greater access to contraceptive information (aka no abstinence-only education) and abortion services. Two, have welfare include more reliable childcare, encouraging moms to work rather than receive checks but having their children taken care of....
Let's get to the root of the problem. The root IMO is the disapearance of the family unit. Children are being raised by the school systems, not being taught proper values/eating habits/ethics. You're unplanned pregnancy point while true that options should be expanded seems to be infringing on reproductive rights. If a person wants to have a child due to religious reasons, they should be able to do so.

kaat44 said:
Anyway, my tangent. I just think that bashing on welfare is an easy solution to a complex problem. Let's be frank, the government isn't in trillion+ debt because we gave it all to welfare moms. Our foreign policy is way more expensive.
The government is in debt because our current president is hardly a friend of small government true republicans. Our foreign policy does need an overhaul.
kaat44 said:
I'm just extremely resentful of this president who is the worst of both worlds: socially conservative and fiscally irresponsible. I don't think you have to be fiscally irresponsible to support social programs, you just have to have different goals (aka more moderate military spending).

I am definitely very in favor of government social programs (how can a government let children go hungry, even if their parents are lazy? call me naive, but I trust people try as hard as they can under the circumstances, and working with welfare recipients/uninsured patients hasn't changed my opinion)....BUT this current administration is so irresponsible it's ridiculous.

I guess what can you expect from a system where spending more than you earn helps the economy go round, not that I am against capitalism...Anyway. A happy medium must be somewhere, please god!
Sadly most people take the path of least resistance. Make them part of the solution and we might see some legit change.

Wow. It's amazing how ignorant religious zealots can be.

Monkeys understanding the concept of marriage?
Hahaha

Whoa, whoa whoa--I NEVER meant to imply that people shouldn't have a CHOICE. But unplanned means unplanned--their choice comes after that, and of course they can give birth or adopt it out. I'm scared that I implied differently! As for no abstinence-only education, I don't think see how giving out information infringes on someone's rights. I mean, we are trying to impower young people to make responsible decisions about when to have intercourse, whom to have it with, and how to protect themselves. How does hiding information empower people?

Actually, part of the reason I actually believe in government assistance is that a woman faced with an unplanned pregnancy should have a choice, and finances should have less impact than they do in choosing to end a pregnancy.

I never meant to imply that the government should not have a military or something, either. I just think the way it is run, particularly during this administration, is not right (which you agreed with). I also think that it needs to focus more on a holistic approach (for example, if you want to stop guerilla movements in Congo, maybe the US could stop selling them guns).

It sounds like we are mostly in agreement, and maybe even more so due to my repulsion towards the current administration, aka I don't trust this guy and his guys with my money! :laugh:

BrettBatchelor said:
The maintenance of the military is a fundamental function of the federal government IMO.

Let's get to the root of the problem. The root IMO is the disapearance of the family unit. Children are being raised by the school systems, not being taught proper values/eating habits/ethics. You're unplanned pregnancy point while true that options should be expanded seems to be infringing on reproductive rights. If a person wants to have a child due to religious reasons, they should be able to do so.

The government is in debt because our current president is hardly a friend of small government true republicans. Our foreign policy does need an overhaul.

Sadly most people take the path of least resistance. Make them part of the solution and we might see some legit change.

MahlerROCKS said:
Since everyone else is doing this, I don't see why we shouldn't as well
I tried to read this whole thread, but holy crap! It's long!

Anyhow, I def wanted to give a shout out to a Grinnellian (i.e., the OP)! I just graduated from the Univ of IA COM and have had the pleasure of friendship with several Grinnellians in Iowa City over the past year. Great people!

I'm also a gay, atheist, liberal and it really wasn't too bad being so at Iowa. I would've probably preferred a larger city, but the Univ is quite a supportive environment.
Psycho Doctor said:
and i've wasted far too much time; time to get real work done :p
And I can't resist replying to this unfortunate Christian. (I was actually going to say something worse, but I restrained myself - ah! yes, an atheist can actually be moral if he/she chooses!) I see your evangelism was really just a "waste of time." Nice.

Anyhow, I grew up in a very conservative household in the middle of nowhere Iowa, but always had my own streak of independent thinking. I always questioned my beliefs and have done so up to the present. I struggled with homosexuality GREATLY throughout college and went to lots of sessions of reparative therapy, all to no avail. Now, I agree that people can change their behavior, but I don't truly believe that anyone can change his/her sexual orientation. I should also note that I endorse a Kinsey Scale-like view of sexual orientation. Relatively few people are 100% hetero or homo, and it is those who fall in between that seem to have an easier time adjusting from a gay life to a strictly hetero set of behaviors.

It's probably been less than a year since I embraced atheism contra my previous conservative Calvinist leanings. I think having been a philosophy major helped me to deal more fairly with belief in God. I had always been taught that atheism was the worst of all evils and would literally destroy every good thing on the planet if it could. Such misguided ignorance! I love infidels.org. There are very good monographs there that every thinking person interested in matters of theism should be familiar with.

Last thing I wanted to say is thank you to all you wonderful straight people who are supportive of us gays! I value that support so very much! Now, I have to get back to finding a gal pal here in Milwaukee... :cool:

BrettBatchelor said:
Let's get to the root of the problem. The root IMO is the disapearance of the family unit. Children are being raised by the school systems, not being taught proper values/eating habits/ethics.
Who's values/eating habits/ethics are you referring to? Your's? The guy down the street's? This is where religious zealouts shine...they want to tell everyone else what to do. That's not freedom, which I fundamentally believe our country is about or used to be. If you want to raise your child a certain way, then by all means do so. But quit forcing your religious views on everyone, especially by using the governmental powers to do so.

LifetimeDoc said:
Who's values/eating habits/ethics are you referring to? Your's? The guy down the street's? This is where religious zealouts shine...they want to tell everyone else what to do. That's not freedom, which I fundamentally believe our country is about or used to be. If you want to raise your child a certain way, then by all means do so. But quit forcing your religious views on everyone, especially by using the governmental powers to do so.
Well I was mainly thinking of the one's that keep you out of prison like not stealing, killing, doing drugs etc. I never once brought religion into except that people should be able to have kids and not told to abort if they have strong religious values against it.

BrettBatchelor said:
Well I was mainly thinking of the one's that keep you out of prison like not stealing, killing, doing drugs etc. I never once brought religion into except that people should be able to have kids and not told to abort if they have strong religious values against it.

Lifetimedoc's reaction to your post is the perfect example of how defensive the Left has become. No one even mentioned religion, but he felt that his beliefs or what have you have been threatened. Not the case. However, there are too many people in America that have become so defensive...constantly whining that others are shoving their views and beliefs down their throats when in reality, that is simply not happening.

VPDcurt said:
Lifetimedoc's reaction to your post is the perfect example of how defensive the Left has become. No one even mentioned religion, but he felt that his beliefs or what have you have been threatened. Not the case. However, there are too many people in America that have become so defensive...constantly whining that others are shoving their views and beliefs down their throats when in reality, that is simply not happening.
So defining marriage isn't pushing your religious views on other people? All of the arguments against gay marriage are religion-based. So are the arguments about abortion and many other so called "culture-war" topics. People hide behind the terms "family values" with a wink and a nod, fully realizing and intending to push their religion on others. If people don't see that, they are blind or worse, don't care about freedom.

Flopotomist said:
OK - I agree that Qs post was genius. HOWEVER - let us ALL take a moment and read the title of the thread. Does it say "Come in hear to debate epistemology as it relates to God?" NO... so uhm - knock it off people. In fact, if you post below me, you are GAY. Be careful Psycho Doc - if you dare to post even ONE WORD below here, you will forever be longing for Prada shoes, and miraculously know how to dance.

I just wanted to remind you all that per Flopotomist's post #246, YOU ARE ALL GAY. I'd type more, but I'm exhausted from the depraved bisexual sex I had all last night :D

prana_md said:
I just wanted to remind you all that per Flopotomist's post #246, YOU ARE ALL GAY. I'd type more, but I'm exhausted from the depraved bisexual sex I had all last night :D

ROTFLMAO. <---- Old fashioned, I know. ;)

girlsporty said:
ROTFLMAO. <---- Old fashioned, I know. ;)

THANK GOD (oops, atheist thread, delete that) there's a pre-med out there left with brains and a sense of humor.

So girlsporty, what are you wearing?

Carb Addict said:
I tried to read this whole thread, but holy crap! It's long!

Anyhow, I def wanted to give a shout out to a Grinnellian (i.e., the OP)! I just graduated from the Univ of IA COM and have had the pleasure of friendship with several Grinnellians in Iowa City over the past year. Great people!

I'm also a gay, atheist, liberal and it really wasn't too bad being so at Iowa. I would've probably preferred a larger city, but the Univ is quite a supportive environment.

And I can't resist replying to this unfortunate Christian. (I was actually going to say something worse, but I restrained myself - ah! yes, an atheist can actually be moral if he/she chooses!) I see your evangelism was really just a "waste of time." Nice.

Anyhow, I grew up in a very conservative household in the middle of nowhere Iowa, but always had my own streak of independent thinking. I always questioned my beliefs and have done so up to the present. I struggled with homosexuality GREATLY throughout college and went to lots of sessions of reparative therapy, all to no avail. Now, I agree that people can change their behavior, but I don't truly believe that anyone can change his/her sexual orientation. I should also note that I endorse a Kinsey Scale-like view of sexual orientation. Relatively few people are 100% hetero or homo, and it is those who fall in between that seem to have an easier time adjusting from a gay life to a strictly hetero set of behaviors.

It's probably been less than a year since I embraced atheism contra my previous conservative Calvinist leanings. I think having been a philosophy major helped me to deal more fairly with belief in God. I had always been taught that atheism was the worst of all evils and would literally destroy every good thing on the planet if it could. Such misguided ignorance! I love infidels.org. There are very good monographs there that every thinking person interested in matters of theism should be familiar with.

Last thing I wanted to say is thank you to all you wonderful straight people who are supportive of us gays! I value that support so very much! Now, I have to get back to finding a gal pal here in Milwaukee... :cool:

no, evalangelism in of itself is never a waste of time; but trying to explain things to people who don't want to listen is and ask only to create a problem...

prana_md said:
THANK GOD (oops, atheist thread, delete that) there's a pre-med out there left with brains and a sense of humor.

So girlsporty, what are you wearing?

Not much... well, scrubs from Gross Anatomy if you must know. ;) How 'bout you, prana_md?

girlsporty said:
Not much... well, scrubs from Gross Anatomy if you must know. ;) How 'bout you, prana_md?

New rule. Girls must post photos on this thread prior to flirting with other girls.