Any gay Pre-dental Students In The La Area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

ElBerHarSo

Hello, Im a gay male in the LA area and Im applying to more than 10 dental schools and I am hoping to get into one of them. I actually have not dated before at all and really worked hard in undergrad to get into a good Dental School.

I really hope I find someone nice in Dental School, that is actually on my mind. I want to meet a nice Iranian or white guy in Dental School and get married. I also want a private practice and want to be able to live comfortably financially and do the things that I always wanted to do.

Whenever I go to UCLA or USC Dental School, I see so many good looking guys I wish I could know better and develop friendships with. I wish I were in Dental School already so that I could make friends and find a future husband.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, Im a gay male in the LA area and Im applying to more than 10 dental schools and I am hoping to get into one of them. I actually have not dated before at all and really worked hard in undergrad to get into a good Dental School.

I really hope I find someone nice in Dental School, that is actually on my mind. I want to meet a nice Iranian or white guy in Dental School and get married. I also want a private practice and want to be able to live comfortably financially and do the things that I always wanted to do.

Whenever I go to UCLA or USC Dental School, I see so many good looking guys I wish I could know better and develop friendships with. I wish I were in Dental School already so that I could make friends and find a future husband.

UNLV has a homosexual professor, you might like him. Dr. Kingsley is his name and men are his game.

Members don't see this ad :)
May I make the obvious reccomendation that you should also consider UCSF as a possible choice.

Plenty of man meat in these parts!!

Make sure you go dental schools that are more liberal...people are more accepting in those schools. Northeast is the location you want to think about; lovely schools and lovely people!

Everyone at Temple is always really really happy and cheerful. Sunny schools also have pretty happy people. I am not sure what you mean by dating happy people...most of us want that... My friends go to UoP, UW, USC and they are really cheery and bright mooded. Good luck.

Man you are singing the same song as the heterosexuals....no matter where you go maybe you'll find the one or maybe you won't...people are people no matter the gender.

So ya....if this post cld find me a nice man...i'm loking for the same thing as you....and if i have to turn a gay man str8 because the pickings are slim....we are going to compete ;) I hope you have more skills than me HA HA HA HA And if you happen to be the one i have to turn back str8 welll.....

Seriously best of luck!

i say goodluck finding someone. i would think that you have just as good a chance meeting someone in dental school as you would anywhere else. it doesnt seem like anyone here is accepting you but who cares about the people on here. goodluck applying and good luck finding someone.

p.s. if you dont have anyting nice to say dont say anything at all

go to UW.
seattle=very liberal, politically-correct people.

go to UW.
seattle=very liberal, politically-correct people.

politically correct = bad

like I want a politician telling me what is polite to say. Thats ******ed (Oops, mentally handicapped)

:D

politically correct = bad
:D

no. it's actually quite nice if it exists among us regular people.

example=homosexuality
seattle is very liberal,very accepting of gay marriage, etc. conservatives that oppose gay marriage don't go around bashing and insulting people of a different sexual preference. they voice their opinion in a polite/intellectual way. agree to disagree in a respectable way.

this happens on a lot of issues.

I know I grew up in Redmond...

I still say PC is lame. I do however like to have pleasant conversations. Hence the SMILEY face I always put when being sarcastic.

Best TV line so far this year:

"Maybe I could buy you a beer and you could tell me how you could do that to another man."
Michael, The Office

:D <---

Members don't see this ad :)
UNLV has a homosexual professor, you might like him. Dr. Kingsley is his name and men are his game.

I don't know why but I find this comment slightly inappropriate...but maybe that's just me.

Beyond that, I just wanted to say that if you go to any of the more liberal cities with dental schools you will find gay communities that have available men for you. And if you really want to get married, well, vote for a gay-rights friendly politician cause right now...you can't. Sorry to break it to you.

You should look into some dental schools in the deep south, I hear those folk are very-openminded. THey're very welcoming, I've just always been confused by them because a lot of people walk around wearing their white bed sheets and pillow case covers on their head. Must be the hot weather...just kidding, you probably would NOT want to go to school there.

And if you really want to get married, well, vote for a gay-rights friendly politician cause right now...you can't. Sorry to break it to you.

He can move to Massachusetts or New Jersey, as they currently allow gay marriage (although New Jersey won't "officially" allow it for another five months or so). :thumbup:

Speaking of gay rights, pending a final vote count, Arizona might just be the first state to reject a bill that would prohibit the state from creating or recognizing any legal status for unmarried persons that is similar to that of marriage. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Your desire to find a partner and make friends in dental school is understandable and commendable but here is what I have to tell you from my personal experience. If you end up in a small dental school (class less than 60), your odds of finding friends and/or partner are slightly above zero. Most dental students are young (under 25) so even if they are gay, they will not come out of the closet. And because gays are a minority, a small class size will almost guarantee that you’ll end up being the only one, which is tolerable for a while until you start yearning for a connection of any sort with another gay man.

As far as making friends, that will also be extremely difficult, especially if you are looking for male friends, if you end up in a small school. Most dental students are very decent and kind people but in a small class, the likelihood of finding compatible people is very slim. For instance, my classmates are wonderful people and I am not in the closet and I am not flamboyant by any shape, demeanor, or form. They are very supportive and understanding. I am lucky to have them as classmates. However, I realize that the ONLY thing I have in common with them is the pursuit of a DDS. Nothing more!!! They listen to different music (they like hip hop and stuff that plays in radio station while I like enigma, roxette, abba, annie lennox, and stuff that is….. well….gay)…I like scuba diving but the guys like pool, basketball and soccer…I laugh at many things while the guys try to laugh less and act very serious…they drink beer and when I grabbed my Smirnoff-apple flavor, they started teasing me (jokingly off course but it still made feel…kinda out of place..), in the first party, I asked the bartender for a Malibu coconut rum and she gave me a very funny look. In fact, I only realized that I am different here in dental school; I only realized recently that men are not expected to have sweet drinks. These things seem trivial but after a while they start getting to you. What I am trying to say is that in a small school setting, you might be rather disadvantaged, especially if you do not have a local network of friends. Sometimes I just need to talk to another gay guy about anything, be it the weather or academics.

As far as the good-looking guys you saw at UCLA, I don’t know but I can tell you about the guys at my school. The guys in my class are either married (a few of them are fathers) or coupled. Also, bear in mind that if the guys are good-looking and young, don’t expect them to be out of the closet even if they are gay. Maybe LA is different. I don’t know. I wish you good luck.

Most importantly: follow pdizzle’s advice: apply to UCSF and consider it very seriously. Stay away from small schools or schools in far-flung suburban areas. You might end up in a place where if the music is not hip hop, it’s gay and where it the drink is not beer, it’s gay. Do not be surprised if one of your male classmates uses the word gay as a synonym for the term annoying.

Your safest way is to make good friends over the summer before school so that you won’t rely on dental school to find someone or friends. It would be great if you can date during that summer so that you can have a shoulder to lean on when the rigors of dental school get to you. Most of my classmates have someone. I don’t, and it sucks.

Again, good luck…

Talk to Dr Kraven Moorehead D.M.D at Pittsburgh dental school, he is very open minded to gay students, I think is he is the President of the Homosexual Association.
Good luck

I would strongly encourage you to attend Tufts or BU

So the tooth fairy really does exist.

He can move to Massachusetts or New Jersey, as they currently allow gay marriage (although New Jersey won't "officially" allow it for another five months or so). :thumbup:

Speaking of gay rights, pending a final vote count, Arizona might just be the first state to reject a bill that would prohibit the state from creating or recognizing any legal status for unmarried persons that is similar to that of marriage. :thumbup: :thumbup:

There was a lot more to that AZ proposition that turned voters off to it. It sought to terminate domestic partner benefits, which was an issue for both homosexuals and heterosexuals.

There was a lot more to that AZ proposition that turned voters off to it. It sought to terminate domestic partner benefits, which was an issue for both homosexuals and heterosexuals.

Thanks for the clarification. In any case, I'm glad that it didn't pass.

How do you like having 2.5 days off each week? Case is climbing on my list because the cirriculum is so cool and laid back.

Best TV line so far this year:

"Maybe I could buy you a beer and you could tell me how you could do that to another man."
Michael, The Office

:D <---

That was awesome!

How do you like having 2.5 days off each week? Case is climbing on my list because the cirriculum is so cool and laid back.

it's 1.5 days off, and its pretty cool. i don't know if i could handle the 8-5 thing EVERY day. Yea, it's pretty laid back. the professors we have so far are pretty personable so far. PBL has it's down sides... but i think it works for me.

My bad on the 1.5 days off, I am jitty at math. (3 halves isn't 2.5? my head hurts) anyway, I interviewed with Sena from Fiji, how is he as a professor?

Oh and to stay on topic, are there any flambouyant homosexuals there at case? I am sure there aren't any in Little Italy or Shaker Heights.

My bad on the 1.5 days off, I am jitty at math. (3 halves isn't 2.5? my head hurts) anyway, I interviewed with Sena from Fiji, how is he as a professor?

Oh and to stay on topic, are there any flambouyant homosexuals there at case? I am sure there aren't any in Little Italy or Shaker Heights.

in lecture sena tries to joke too much... which is weird to hear me say that because that's what i do in PBL. Plus, his lectures are pretty boring seeing as he talks about trends in public health. how was he as an interviewer. (oh and im pretty sure he is from Sri Lanka)

i haven't noticed any gay dental students here, although i see a few roaming cleveland. i thought this one second year was gay cuz of the way he talked. but turns out he's married to a woman. lol

shaker heights may be more accomodating than you think

in lecture sena tries to joke too much... which is weird to hear me say that because that's what i do in PBL. Plus, his lectures are pretty boring seeing as he talks about trends in public health. how was he as an interviewer. (oh and im pretty sure he is from Sri Lanka)

i haven't noticed any gay dental students here, although i see a few roaming cleveland. i thought this one second year was gay cuz of the way he talked. but turns out he's married to a woman. lol

He didn't even care what I said back to him, he was already searching for my next question in my file. One time I even didn't respond purposely to see if he was even listening. He wasn't, I just started talking about college football and it turns out he is a huge michigan fan (he came to case from there or something). So at the end, I just flat out asked him how I was as an applicant and he said he liked me. So who knows, he was a bit wierd. Sri Lanka, that's right. :laugh:

Anyway, tell ryan reese I said hi. Oh, and Shaker has no homosexuals from my experience. I was homosexual pimp there [sarcasm].:laugh:

lol. were u the one who said something about a gay professor for UNLV interview feedback?

i'm really sorry if this comes off as an inappropriate question, but do gay dudes get turned on by their own penis? the todd made me wonder....

i'm really sorry if this comes off as an inappropriate question, but do gay dudes get turned on by their own penis? the todd made me wonder....

1159083206525.gif

haha. check out shakers tennis team. i swear.

lol. were u the one who said something about a gay professor for UNLV interview feedback?

Nooooooooooooooooooo.....................Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

I forget, but it was way funny how flamin' he was. A pink bowtie and flirting with all the D1's and making them subject to his homosexual innuendo?

I would die in his class. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i hope there are many many many gay men in the dental schoool i go to...works out better for me to get the women :D ..but seriously good luck

You might be surprised at what you can find- remember that GLBTQ individuals are found all over the nation, not just in stereotypically populous areas. I have gone to Creighton for undergrad, and there is a surprisingly strong and supportive Gay-Straight Alliance there as well as a sizeable GLBTQ population of undergraduate and graduate students for a school of its size.
It's no gay mecca, but I think no matter where you go it will be possible to meet other GLBTQ individuals. Good luck to you.

What is this all about? People do not go to dental schools to get husbands or wifes. They go to pursue their education.

What is this all about? People do not go to dental schools to get husbands or wifes. They go to pursue their education.

i know people that do both

Of course we're getting an education, but most people would be lying if finding a potential mate wasn't a factor in their decision.

Finding a mate is something people our age often aspire to in their future, but that the idea that it should be a factor in pursuing dentistry is ridiculous. You can't just decide that you are going to find your soul mate in a class of 100 where probably half are not the sex of your preferance, and at least a third of the class is already married! Of course it happens, but I don't think it's something to count on, and certainly not something to base a decision on!

Make sure you go dental schools that are more liberal...people are more accepting in those schools. Northeast is the location you want to think about; lovely schools and lovely people!

I don't agree with that statement. UConn is in the northeast and it's so very conservative. I heard first hand about a gay student being sent to some committee for his "typically homosexual" behavior. They said his hand gestures etc were distracting to the patients, or something stupid like that. Another student, may or may not have been gay/bi, was sent to counseling and drug testing by this committee because of his lisp. The Northeast tends to vote socially liberal, but attitudes are very conservative. I can compare the Northeast to where I live now, and I never realized how conservative the Northeast was.