Any Ghanaian, Nigerian or West African Here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi all bros,
i know i am still totler compering to many med students in here. i am still struggling with my MCAT and pre-med journey. this august will be my first time taking the test. any feed back would be nice.

Members don't see this ad.

allodoc said:
hey there,
i just wanted to add my 2 cents. if i were you, i'd go for the mph and forget about the postbacc. unless you're an english, psych, music, history or some other non-science major, a post bacc does nothing for you. an mph complements an md degree and looks better on your cv. a postbacc looks more like a remedial course. and if need be, you can actually use an mph degree. but that's just my opinion.

Totally agree. I think it helped my med school apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oluchi said:
Makes sense allodoc.... too late i imagine though. I've been accepted to one post bac already and solidified my spot in the program. I didnt start looking seriously into MPH programs until recently, and am leary of the run around to get recs and such. Also, I wonder if my stats will be good enough even for MPH (i have 3.09 gpa, and 17L MCAT). Do u know anyone who got into MPH w/ that?

Another thing...I wanted to get MPH and MD at the same time, so that when Im finished, Im finished. I can begin pursuing a solid career placement, as opposed to taking up to 2 yrs in MPH program..turning down job opportunities because i have 2 do med school....applying for med school...doing 4yrs at med school, 2 yrs residency, etc. This is my thinking...u feel me? What do u think?

Well, after learning about your stats, I think you are right about the postbac except I have not done one so I cannot advice you on it. However, this is what I did because I had to deal with raising my mcat and my sci gpa. While doing my MPH I took advanced sci classes along with my mph classes. I also took classes during a winter semesters during the second year of my mph (yeah some schools have it. its 6weeks long) just to prepare for the mcat in april. The winter semester courses I think impressed schools especially since they were advanced science courses which are rigorous especially for the 6 weeks depending on how cool your job is. After the classes, I studied for the mcat on my own but for you since you would need a dramatic jump you should try doing Kaplan or princeton review and study with berkley review on your own along with exam kracker (both are great), and trust me your scores will go up. I really worked for it. I am sure you can do it and once it pays off you will appreciate it.

Hi guys,
I'm so glad to have found this site! I'm from Ghana, currently pre-med in the US. I'm writing the MCATs in Aug this year, and thinking of doing a post-bac when I graduate...

obasanjo said:
hey allodoc,
where/what is bu? anywhere congrats on completing step 1 and 2. that is great accomplishment :thumbup: i hope say you make big party +pity+ .
are you IMG or AMG? i am not yet a resident, still battling with step 2. (already cleared step1)hope to match for 2006.
in which state are you? New york?
man, keep in touch........ :cool:

sorry, sometimes i think everybody is thinking what i'm thinking.
bu = boston university. and yes, i'm having a HUGE party (naija style).

allodoc said:
sorry, sometimes i think everybody is thinking what i'm thinking.
bu = boston university. and yes, i'm having a HUGE party (naija style).

Which one you dey now? A Huge party and no official invite to your peeps not cool at all.

Naija In The House But Not In Medical School, I Am In Pharmacy School @st. John's University. In My 4th Year Of 6 Years. Holla

coolm100 said:
Naija In The House But Not In Medical School, I Am In Pharmacy School @st. John's University. In My 4th Year Of 6 Years. Holla

So cool you are almost done. Is that for PharmD?

mmmhhh.. in case you guys overlooked my post :( are there any naija's here that attend or will attend st. christophers medical school in luton???... i am a naija chick starting the school this fall and i wanted to know if neone was going to do the same this fall
peace

nne97080 said:
So cool you are almost done. Is that for PharmD?

Yea nne97080 I'm in the PharmD program, right now doing summer school in NY :mad: can't wait to get it ova with. Whats ur major and plans for the summer? :)

peace

Yall Nigerians are taking over medicine...wassup with that? lol, where are the Liberians at. We got to represent!

Babydoc1 said:
mmmhhh.. in case you guys overlooked my post :( are there any naija's here that attend or will attend st. christophers medical school in luton???... i am a naija chick starting the school this fall and i wanted to know if neone was going to do the same this fall
peace

If I be you, I go try caribbean schools first. Nothing dey wrong with st. Chris, but I think say it dey too new. People nor know the school that much, and I think say you go get trouble with residency when you finish. Where you dey plan to practice, if na for america, I go say make you try SMU or Saba because their graduates dey everywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
fellow Naija countrymen,
i hope none of you will be like the one in this story. :scared:

10%not enough?

An Asian and a Naija became friends while attending grad school in the West. Years later each rose to become the Finance Minister of their respective countries.

One day the Naija went to Asia to visit his old friend and was really startled by his friend's palatial home. He had three mercedes-benz cars, a large swimming pool and a few servants. My gosh!! The Naija man exclaims, "we were just poor students before! how can you now afford all these"?

His Asian friend took him to the window and pointed to a sparkling new elevated highway in the distance. "You see that toll road"? Says his friend, and he proudly taps himself on the chest. "Ten percent". Naija nods approvingly. A few years later, the Asian returns the visit to his old friend. He finds the Naija living in splendour in a massive estate with a large fleet of mercedes-benz cars, an indoor swimming pool, tennis court, squash court and an army of uniformed chauffeurs and servants. "Oh my god!" says his friend. "How on earth do you afford all these?"

This time the Naija takes his friend to the window and points. "You see that highway"? He asked. But his friend looks and sees nothing but open fields and cows grazing. "I don't see any highway", he said, straining his eyes.

At this the Naija smiles, taps himself on the chest, and boasts.... "One hundred percent"!!!

coolm100 said:
Yea nne97080 I'm in the PharmD program, right now doing summer school in NY :mad: can't wait to get it ova with. Whats ur major and plans for the summer? :)

peace

hey. will be ms1 in the fall will be starting a pre-matric in like 6 days. I know how you feel my whole summer gone:(

obasanjo said:
fellow Naija countrymen,
i hope none of you will be like the one in this story. :scared:

10%not enough?

An Asian and a Naija became friends while attending grad school in the West. Years later each rose to become the Finance Minister of their respective countries.

One day the Naija went to Asia to visit his old friend and was really startled by his friend's palatial home. He had three mercedes-benz cars, a large swimming pool and a few servants. My gosh!! The Naija man exclaims, "we were just poor students before! how can you now afford all these"?

His Asian friend took him to the window and pointed to a sparkling new elevated highway in the distance. "You see that toll road"? Says his friend, and he proudly taps himself on the chest. "Ten percent". Naija nods approvingly. A few years later, the Asian returns the visit to his old friend. He finds the Naija living in splendour in a massive estate with a large fleet of mercedes-benz cars, an indoor swimming pool, tennis court, squash court and an army of uniformed chauffeurs and servants. "Oh my god!" says his friend. "How on earth do you afford all these?"

This time the Naija takes his friend to the window and points. "You see that highway"? He asked. But his friend looks and sees nothing but open fields and cows grazing. "I don't see any highway", he said, straining his eyes.

At this the Naija smiles, taps himself on the chest, and boasts.... "One hundred percent"!!!

I don tire for this nyafu nyafu (yeye) joke!!

That was a good joke obasanjo. sad but true and funny!

nne97080 said:
I don tire for this nyafu nyafu (yeye) joke!!
Nne what med school are you attending this fall? A fellow African here and doing the whole AMCAS application thing. Also , if you don't mind my asking, how did you do on your mcat and your avg gpa, if you don't want to post it, you can PM me. I am just trying to weight my chances.
Kachifo

IgweEmeka said:
Nne what med school are you attending this fall? A fellow African here and doing the whole AMCAS application thing. Also , if you don't mind my asking, how did you do on your mcat and your avg gpa, if you don't want to post it, you can PM me. I am just trying to weight my chances.
Kachifo

I will be going to Howard med in the fall. Goodluck on Amcas, but you cannot use my scores to determine your chances. I think they looked at everything as a package. If your scores are avg as 3.0 gpa and mid 20's mcats which mine were try to balance it out with something. I did a masters and worked in interesting places i.e world bank, in naija for 1 yr and half etc, took hard core grad level sciences, did cancer research, and had good ltrs of recs so try to highlight those things that are good about you. Do not look at others please. Goodluck. -n

if anyone is interested in post bacc programs, i will starting one (www.siumed.edu/medprep) in a few weeks. after which i will be applying to med school in order to attain a dual degree in medicine and business with an emphasis in health adminstration and policy :cool:

by the way, i'm from abia state :thumbup:

square

nne97080 said:
I will be going to Howard med in the fall. Goodluck on Amcas, but you cannot use my scores to determine your chances. I think they looked at everything as a package. If your scores are avg as 3.0 gpa and mid 20's mcats which mine were try to balance it out with something. I did a masters and worked in interesting places i.e world bank, in naija for 1 yr and half etc, took hard core grad level sciences, did cancer research, and had good ltrs of recs so try to highlight those things that are good about you. Do not look at others please. Goodluck. -n

Kedu, my igbo people

Hello Africans/Nigerians

Congratulations to all recently accepted medical students. Continue to make your homeland proud.

UTMB c/o 2009

Dr. MAXY said:
Hey just wandering if there are any Ghanaian, Nigerian or African Pre-Med, Med Student or Resident on SDN?

Hi, I'm a ghanaian medical student. Wassup?

Asantewaa09 said:
Hi, I'm a ghanaian medical student. Wassup?

hi asantewaa,
I'm also ghanian. i've been on here for about a year and just stumbled on this blog.

i'm applying this year.....

another ghanian here... :) So many Africans on here are doing well and that is awesome!!! :thumbup:

I just stumbled into this site and I am glad to see a lot of Nigerians on this forum. I wonder if there is any ijaw person on this forum.

Peace
original ijaw 1

original Ijaw 1 said:
I just stumbled into this site and I am glad to see a lot of Nigerians on this forum. I wonder if there is any ijaw person on this forum.

Peace
original ijaw 1

Why an Ijaw person. I hope you are not tryin' be all tribalistic !!

nne97080 said:
Why an Ijaw person. I hope you are not tryin' be all tribalistic !!

No girl I am not trying to be tribalistic, and hope that it did not come across that way but I wanted to know that. I read most of the treads and it seemed like a lot of Ibo's are in the house. I was just curious about it. I am glad to see so many Naija's here.

Original Ijaw 1

im an American born Ghanian....im going for my doctorate in psychology.

I am in DO school and am Nigerian (Ibibio). I am finally in my last year and am very excited to be finishing up. I am doing the allopathic match for a spot in ONGYN. For all of you who are sturggling with the MCAT know that you are not alone. I would advise for you to keep your options open by doing the following: 1)Apply to as many programs as possible. 2) Apply both MD and DO. When I applied to MD school in undergrad I got only one interview out of 30 applications. Three years later I upped the applications up to 45. I then received 3 DO interviews and 5 MD interviews. I ultimately gained acceptance into 2 MD programs and 2 DO programs. DO programs seemed to care about a more well rounded applicant than the MD programs. I have been very happy with the education I've received. This year I have had the opportunity to do additional training at other hospitals including Brigham and Women's which is one of Harvard's hospitals. I wish you all the best with the application process. PM me if you have any messages.

Hi,
A friend recently graduated from med. sch in Ghana and is interested in a residency program in a US sch. What's the general route/procedure? USMLE in Ghana first or H-1B (?) visa and then the exam? Thanks!

Adjoa.

Dr. MAXY said:
Hey just wandering if there are any Ghanaian, Nigerian or African Pre-Med, Med Student or Resident on SDN?

I just found this site because i was looking others to study for the April test with me. I have only lived here for 7 years

Ewuraadjoa said:
Hi,
A friend recently graduated from med. sch in Ghana and is interested in a residency program in a US sch. What's the general route/procedure? USMLE in Ghana first or H-1B (?) visa and then the exam? Thanks!

Adjoa.

I believe they have to take step I and II first, it'll be hard for them to get sponsorship for H-1B otherwise. I think thats what a friend is doing.
But post this on the foreign med graduates section

HEY PEOPLE!!!!! Nigerian in the house. :D :D :D I just loooove the way Nigerians make their presence known. Didn't know we had a thread like this! Well, I'm Yoruba, I grew up in Lagos. Was in Naija this summer. Applying to Dental school this semester! Really nice to have y'all here.

PS: Did y'all hear that Stella Obasanjo died yesterday?! (Yeah, i'm a true lagos girl, gotta spread the gist :p ).

duh? said:
HEY PEOPLE!!!!! Nigerian in the house. :D :D :D I just loooove the way Nigerians make their presence known. Didn't know we had a thread like this! Well, I'm Yoruba, I grew up in Lagos. Was in Naija this summer. Applying to Dental school this semester! Really nice to have y'all here.

PS: Did y'all hear that Stella Obasanjo died yesterday?! (Yeah, i'm a true lagos girl, gotta spread the gist :p ).

I heard too, +pity+

Yeah. it really is sad. One day we're here next we're gone. What can i say? God's will be done.

Anyone who is Nigerian do or doing an international rotation in Nigeria? I am Nigerian, but born in the US and hoping to do one or 2 electives there. My family is from Anambra State. I don't really know much about the hospitals there so any help would be great. Thanks.

Nneka

If anyone knows of any rotations in Calabar (or anywhere in Cross River), please let me know as well!

lovelyaries said:
Anyone who is Nigerian do or doing an international rotation in Nigeria? I am Nigerian, but born in the US and hoping to do one or 2 electives there. My family is from Anambra State. I don't really know much about the hospitals there so any help would be great. Thanks.

Nneka

I did a med mission trip to Nigeria last yr with Drs for a united Med mission(we partner up with Prohealth Intl a Nigerian health org), our team from here was like 20 drs/nurses/students, add Prohealth's drs,nurses,dentists,optometrists etc,and we were 80 deep,it was tight. Very hands on, surgeries, HIV diagnosis, seeingpatients, huge hernia removals, fibroids, its a great experience!
I also did one with them to Ghana this yr, hit me back up for more info

@community, the med mission trip I did was in Akwa ibom, thats close enough, considering we flew from Lagos to Calabar and drove to Uyo :D

lotanna said:
I did a med mission trip to Nigeria last yr with Drs for a united Med mission(we partner up with Prohealth Intl a Nigerian health org), our team from here was like 20 drs/nurses/students, add Prohealth's drs,nurses,dentists,optometrists etc,and we were 80 deep,it was tight. Very hands on, surgeries, HIV diagnosis, seeingpatients, huge hernia removals, fibroids, its a great experience!

@community, the med mission trip I did was in Akwa ibom, thats close enough, considering we flew from Lagos to Calabar and drove to Uyo :D

I have family in Uyo as well. Can you please provide me with a website or contact information about the program?

Good to see west africans on here :thumbup:

i just wanna use this opportunity to hala all medis and biochemist, there is much we can do to change this continent called africa for the best

I'll be headed to Nigeria in December and I'm interested in doing some med mission activity either in Abor or Anambra state. Anyone have any pointers about how to contact someone to make this possible? Thanks! :)

lotanna said:

WOW...It's been like ages since I last posted on this forum. I can't believe is been 3yrs already.

CONGRATULATIONS to all the new members and all the new med students.
I had just gotten admission to med school when I posted this thread and now as a MSIV this thread is still strong. It's great to see a few Ghanaians on here, and I admire my Naija brothas and sistas. Even though Ghanaians and Naijas usually don't see eye to eye, I really am PROUD of Naijas. Most at times, I wish my fellow Ghanaians will take after Naijas when it comes to higher education. Throughout my education here in the States, I have encounter more Naijas in institutions of higher learning, and most of them will do whatever it takes to succeed. I really admire that. As most of you may know, at SNMA national conferences West Africa is always well represented by Naijas. Kudos.
I really hope some of this young generation migrating from W. Africa will take after all of you here on SDN.

DO VRS MD

Well, I just wanted to comment a little about some of the post I saw on this thread. Some of you were debating about DO vrs MD. As a matter of fact, I'm in a DO school. I personally think everyone should go where they will feel comfortable and be treated well, cos med school ain't a joke.
I for example took my first MCAT in August 2000, applied to 10 allopathic schools and 1 osteopathic school (in-state). My MCAT sucked, and I received the standard rejection letters from all the allopathic schools. However, my osteopathic school rejection letter was unique. It stressed the fact that I had very decent and high GPA, excellent research experience including publications, extraordinary leadership roles and extracurricular activities, and since the MCAT was my only problem, they offered me a free MCAT prep course. The following year with better MCAT scores, guess what, I only applied to one school: Oklahoma State college of Osteopathic Medicine.

It's somehow true that one might face adversities as a DO med student trying to gain a very competitive residency. At the same token, being an MD student doesn't make it any easier. I think we all have to apply ourselves and work very had in med school to obtain a competitive residency. The point is it really doesn't matter. As a DO student, I did a summer research program at Johns Hopkins, which led to Bristol-Myers-Squibb National Medical Fellowship award. I returned again to Johns Hopkins for a rotation as an MSIII. I for one busted my balls to get accepted, and even worked harder once I was in med school. I have started my interviews for residency and I have already gotten some great offers for Orthopedic Surgery Residency. A colleague and friend of mine who graduated last year from my school is currently at John Hopkins doing her residency.
Bottomline go where you will feel comfortable, where you will get all the help to pass your boards. I know some friends that went to great MD schools and failed to pass their boards and were kicked out. Some of them told me they received no help (compared to the preparation my school offered) in preparing for boards.
Gotta go see patients. I was in a rush, so pls pardon any mistakes.

ONCE AGIAN CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU ALL, AND MY NAIJA FELLOWS KEEP ON REPRESENTING

PEACE OUT

Dr. MAXY ( Future Ortho surgeon)

I will be heading back home to Ghana in March 2006 for a rotation. I was wandering if there are any University of Ghana Medical Students out there who will love to hangout. Moreover, if someone from UGMS will give me some rundown on things at Korle-bu. I will be coming with a couple of colleagues who are Americans.

community said:
I have family in Uyo as well. Can you please provide me with a website or contact information about the program?

I went with www.healingdrumm.org but they dont always go to Akwa Ibom,they partner up with Pro-Health and the leader of that org Dr Iko Ibanga is from Abak, so maybe Dr Sampson can give u Dr Iko's address

naijaMD said:
I'll be headed to Nigeria in December and I'm interested in doing some med mission activity either in Abor or Anambra state. Anyone have any pointers about how to contact someone to make this possible? Thanks! :)

I would contect the Nigerian org ANPA www.anpa.org
They might have some members going to Naija in Dec who might be organizing small mission trips

Dr. MAXY said:
I will be heading back home to Ghana in March 2006 for a rotation. I was wandering if there are any University of Ghana Medical Students out there who will love to hangout. Moreover, if someone from UGMS will give me some rundown on things at Korle-bu. I will be coming with a couple of colleagues who are Americans.

Congrats on Ortho!!! Knock em dead.
Etisenyi,Wo ho te sen :D I'm Naija, but Ghana has been dear to my heart since visiting when I was younger, and having many Ghanaian friends from my younger days spent in Togo and Ivory Coast. Kenke isnt appealing to my stomach but banku and sheto/****o is :p
I was just in Eastern Region (Atua General Hospital/Somanya) in March for a short med mission trip, like 10 days total, 6 days there and 4days in Accra.I loved it, I wish I got to go to Korle-bu, cause we kept referring many people there for certain treatments that werent available at the hospital.

lotanna said:
Congrats on Ortho!!! Knock em dead.
Etisenyi,Wo ho te sen :D I'm Naija, but Ghana has been dear to my heart since visiting when I was younger, and having many Ghanaian friends from my younger days spent in Togo and Ivory Coast. Kenke isnt appealing to my stomach but banku and sheto/****o is :p
I was just in Eastern Region (Atua General Hospital/Somanya) in March for a short med mission trip, like 10 days total, 6 days there and 4days in Accra.I loved it, I wish I got to go to Korle-bu, cause we kept referring many people there for certain treatments that werent available at the hospital.

Thanks. I hope to have fun in Ghana. I will be working at Manna Mission with Dr. Seth Ablorh who graduated form Oral Roberts Medical School in Tulsa, US. I also hope to spend sometime at Korle-bu as well as some villages.

community said:
I am in DO school and am Nigerian (Ibibio). ...... PM me if you have any messages.

Hi Community,
good to know a DO was welcomed at Harvard....would love to know more about your experience there...i'm currently an MSIII at Oklahoma State Univ-COM (same school as the honorable Dr Maxy!!!!---kudos on ortho man!!) and i did contact them about the VCP --- is that the program you did or was it just an elective? Actually i have a lot of questions is it ok to PM you?

Reppin Ghana always!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. MAXY said:
I'm Ghanaian