Any gift ideas for my med school bound son?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metalman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe a bit off topic, but I am wondering about possible graduation gift ideas for my son that is headed to med school in the fall. I have had some people suggest things like a "great stethescope", etc. I have zero background in the medical industry (he has succeeded in spite of me, lol).....

Are there things that he will need that would work as a good gift for his undergrad graduation present? I have 0-$400 to spend

What do you guys want?

Proud dad.

Members don't see this ad.

Haha, the best answer I could give you is: just ask him!

I'd be pretty happy to receive an iphone or an ipad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd get him a Ipod touch. If he has one already give him something sentimental for his new apartment since he's likely going to be going to a another town for medical school.

:laugh: I'm pretty sure that an iPad and a vacation are more than $400, guys.

In actuality, a stethoscope would be a bit cliche, but it wouldn't be bad. The Littmann cardiology III is sort of the "accepted," "really good" stethoscope out there and will run you just under $200 or so, but there are a number of other fine scope out there. Personally I don't think you need something that fancy as a med student, and I've gotten by perfectly fine on my Littmann lightweight II S.E. as a first year, which I think runs about $50-60 (not exactly sure, it was a gift :)), and it's nice because it's, well, lightweight. However, I might decide to get something better when I actually start my rotations or become a resident, so if you want something that you can pretty much guarantee will get him through med school and hopefully into the first part of his career, I don't think you can really go wrong with Cardio III. There are a number of other comparable brands as well (ie I've heard good things about Welch Allyn scopes) that you could also look into.

If you don't want to go that route, then I vote something completely unrelated to medicine that he can enjoy over his summer before med school :)

OP, if I were you, I would opt away from electronics or anything disposable.

Even the best computer, iPhone, ipod, etc. in 10 years will be in the trashcan because you can get a better device for $100.

If I were you, I would look for a medically related piece of artwork, or possibly his first stethoscope as others have mentioned..... something he'll have for the rest of his life.

best,

I think the best gift someone could get for me right now would be a really great trip somewhere. But those are on the higher end of gifts. So perhaps something for his apartment or a new computer.

Actually 400 can get you a local vacation, depending on where you are from. Like to Vegas, New York, California, Florida.

Members don't see this ad :)
hug and a kiss

or if ure serious, f458. i want that.

a year supply of beer

An ounze of primo chronic.

(to self: don't say hooker, don't say hooker)...companionship?

Good suggestions. You need to ask yourself if you want to give something practical or sentimental. I was given a stethoscope when I was accepted, and that was very nice. An Iphone or Ipod touch is useful, though will be outdated by the time he really needs one in third and fourth year.

Help him buy furniture for his new apartment (assuming he's moving away from home), or just promise to pay for the cost of boards at the end of his second year as a sort of delayed gift (boards currently cost just over $500).

My parents did the latter and it was just about the greatest thing I could imagine.

Maybe a bit off topic, but I am wondering about possible graduation gift ideas for my son that is headed to med school in the fall. I have had some people suggest things like a "great stethescope", etc. I have zero background in the medical industry (he has succeeded in spite of me, lol).....

Are there things that he will need that would work as a good gift for his undergrad graduation present? I have 0-$400 to spend

What do you guys want?

Proud dad.

a chipotle gift card :D

Good suggestions. You need to ask yourself if you want to give something practical or sentimental. I was given a stethoscope when I was accepted, and that was very nice. An Iphone or Ipod touch is useful, though will be outdated by the time he really needs one in third and fourth year.

I like the stethoscope idea. It's something he'll have forever, and it'll always make him think of you. It's within your price range, it's practical, and it has sentimental value without being cheesy.

Congrats to your son, and to you. I'm sure he didn't get where he is in spite of you. There's a scene in Scrubs where JD has spent the whole episode whining about his dad, and Dr. Cox says (paraphrasing here) that he doesn't care what JD's father did or didn't do...he could have done a much worse job.

a pair of dinosaur scrubs
nothing says hard wroking resident like dinosaur scrubs

Or Shower Shortz!

n90987226985_9649.jpg

For the man who has nothing to hide... but still wants to.

I received a Keurig coffee machine which I love! It's so convenient and totally beats a normal coffee pot since it requires no cleaning and makes a perfect single cup every time! I used to be a huge starbucks fan before I received my Keurig, but I never go there anymore now.

Other cool gift ideas would be a Droid or iphone. :thumbup: very useful in med school so he can quickly check emails etc.

Littmann Master Cardiology Stethoscope, Black Edition, and engraved with his last name or initials. Runs about $270ish. Minus that from $400 and give him the leftover in cash money. :thumbup:

if i were him i definitely wouldn't want something medically related. maybe a really really nice designer watch? that's something that can last forever, is within your price range, and will still be useful

Last edited:
I'd say a stethoscope is a "classic" or "traditional" gift, not "cliche". The Welch Allyn Harvey Elite is one of the most highly recommended stethoscopes. If it were me, I would love to get an engraved one of those that I could have for the rest of my life. Would be more meaningful to me than a giftcard. A watch might be nice too, but tough to get a really good one for that price.

if i were him i definitely wouldn't want something medically related. maybe a really really nice designer watch? that's something that can last forever, is within your price range, and will still be useful

I received a Keurig coffee machine which I love! It's so convenient and totally beats a normal coffee pot since it requires no cleaning and makes a perfect single cup every time! I used to be a huge starbucks fan before I received my Keurig, but I never go there anymore now.

Other cool gift ideas would be a Droid or iphone. :thumbup: very useful in med school so he can quickly check emails etc.

All of those sound like good ideas. Another possibility: Clothes if he's moving somewhere with a pretty different climate.

I'd say a stethoscope is a "classic" or "traditional" gift, not "cliche". The Welch Allyn Harvey Elite is one of the most highly recommended stethoscopes. If it were me, I would love to get an engraved one of those that I could have for the rest of my life. Would be more meaningful to me than a giftcard. A watch might be nice too, but tough to get a really good one for that price.
It's hard to find a watch for $400? I think we have different definitions of "nice watch." :D

I say, go functional. It might not make him ecstatic, but he is going to need books. Textbooks or review books. Textbooks to have, review books to study from eventually. Also, help furnish his apartment with things he wants.

Check into the school's exercise facilities. If they're not the best, get him a yearlong gym membership close to where he'll be living. I'm planning on getting a stationary bike so I can furiously peddle away my frustration in my apartment and avoid getting fat from sitting and studying all day. Something like that might be nice.

My father got me Yankee logo scrubs. Guess I wont be going to BU! :)
They are cool though.

I'm also a Class of 2014 parent. You might want to check with your son's school before buying a stethoscope. Some schools provide a list of approved/preferred medical equipment. Others charge a mandatory M1 equipment fee that covers stethoscope, otoscope, BP cuff, etc. If you already own an item, it must be submitted to the faculty for review. Upon approval, the charge for that item is refunded. Here's a link to Loyola's list (scroll down to Medical Equipment) as an example. http://www.meddean.luc.edu/node/796

I say an espresso machine - a heck of a lot cheaper (in the longish run) than Starbucks and if you get a good one, a bunch better. And he can have whatever Starbucks drink he wants in his apartment.

don't some schools either provide your stethoscope, or require you to buy a certain kind? personally i'd want to pick my own out.

what i would personally love, if my mom were to do anything, would be not to give me something big upfront but just surprise me throughout the year with mailing me little things- like $25 to starbucks, chipotle, jimmy john's etc. here and there. even sometimes just grocery store cards are good. (she already does this occasionally because she knows i like it) :D and she always puts it in a card which is nice. of course i am a girl. sending your son sentimental cards throughout the year, well, i dont know if he would like it as much as i do!!

i don't think a medically related gift is bad if it's just something small . . . like a coffee mug with a doctor-related graphic on it, or something just to say, "hey, you're going to be a doctor and i think that's pretty sweet." and of course there's always Dr Spaceman merchandise . . if he likes 30 Rock

Don't buy a stethoscope. for the love of God don't buy a stethoscope. Get him some school hoodies/sweatpants. Always nice to have comfy studyin gear.

Littmann Master Cardiology Stethoscope, Black Edition, and engraved with his last name or initials. Runs about $270ish. Minus that from $400 and give him the leftover in cash money. :thumbup:

ah, no. :thumbdown:

reminds me of my physical therapy classmates who went out and bought $300 stethoscopes so that they could "take blood pressures." :rolleyes:

don't some schools either provide your stethoscope, or require you to buy a certain kind? personally i'd want to pick my own out.

what i would personally love, if my mom were to do anything, would be not to give me something big upfront but just surprise me throughout the year with mailing me little things- like $25 to starbucks, chipotle, jimmy john's etc. here and there. even sometimes just grocery store cards are good. (she already does this occasionally because she knows i like it) :D and she always puts it in a card which is nice. of course i am a girl. sending your son sentimental cards throughout the year, well, i dont know if he would like it as much as i do!!

i don't think a medically related gift is bad if it's just something small . . . like a coffee mug with a doctor-related graphic on it, or something just to say, "hey, you're going to be a doctor and i think that's pretty sweet." and of course there's always Dr Spaceman merchandise . . if he likes 30 Rock

:thumbup::thumbup: I never got care packages in undergrad and didn't care. But now, in med school, I love the fact that my parents sent me cards and such. My mother sent me a bunch of stuff for Thanksgiving because, for the first time, I didn't go home for it.

You could also get him a $400 starbucks card.

I received a Keurig coffee machine which I love!

Actually, what I think would be even cooler would be to have a $25 coffee card that was automatically reloaded every month he was in school. Sure, it will end up costing you way more than $400 in the long run but you have the time to save the $$ ;)

At least for me, I would consider it to be one of the Best Gift's Ever. It never stops giving that wonderful caffeine-filled goodness
!

THIS. If someone had done that for me I would have been amazingly excited (assuming he's a coffee drinker....if not he will be by Christmas next year :laugh:). Good job Danae00, that's a really cool idea. I know my husband and I would have a lot more money if someone was helping foot our coffee bills. :)

To recap:
Coffee maker
Coffee
Coffee gift cards (excellent if he needs to get way for quiet study away from apt)

and may I suggest a good bottle of wine (champagne) that will be drinkable 4 years from now, to set aside and drink at his med school graduation celebration!

Either a nice mattress or mattres pad + pillows etc.

It's pretty odd how the value of a comfortable bed skyrockets upon starting medical school.

I LOVE the reloadable coffee card idea (i'm more a Peet's fan myself).

You know what I would really need, especially if i was moving to a city that didn't require a car or was car unfriendly, is a bicycle. I'm borrowing one now and it would be cool if I got a new shiny one. (don't know if someone said this already). Depending on the type and model, I know could get one for under $400 (non racing of course).

Everyone keeps suggesting coffee, so I'm going to suggest $400 worth of No-Doz. At $7/bottle, with 60 pills (200mg each) in a bottle, that would be ~3400 pills. That's good for 2 a day everyday for 4 years. That's 680 g of pure caffeine. His teeth won't be yellow at the end of the 4 years. :thumbup:

Last edited:

What do you guys want?

Proud dad.

A gift card that can be used to purchase books (Amazon or someplace like that). You might also give a card that can be used to buy supplies too (VISA or MasterCard from a bank)

Everyone keeps suggesting coffee, so I'm going to suggest $400 worth of No-Doz. At $7/bottle, with 60 pills (200mg each) in a bottle, that would be ~3400 pills. That's good for 2 a day everyday for 4 years. That's 680 g of pure caffeine. His teeth won't be yellow at the end of the 4 years. :thumbup:

i'm intimidated by the no-doz. maybe a couple boxes of white strips with the coffee card then? hehee.

i really like coffee shop studying but i feel bad about hogging a table for hours without being a paying customer. coffee card could solve that problem.