Any gift ideas for my med school bound son?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It has to connect his thoughts to you, in a good way.

Gift cards are terrible (might as well give him cash).
Coffee/clothes are dependent on his personal taste (I would hate both).
Stethoscope = horrible idea.

A nice watch is a good idea, he'll use it every day and think of you often. That or something functional, and that he'll hopefully use often.

Members don't see this ad.

A kegerator for the new place (where ever he is living).

I LOVE the reloadable coffee card idea (i'm more a Peet's fan myself).

yeah but for the rest of us suckers who live far from CA we have to make due with star-sucks or cari-poo.

fortunately, one of the grocery stores around here sells Peet's in a bag. which reminds me i need to buy some . . .

Anyway, if you go with a coffee maker, I highly recommend the kind my mom got me (thanks Mom!) it's got the thermal metal coffeepot, so it stays hot longer, and it has a timer on it so i can set it up the night before and it will go on automatically in the AM.

and of course please get a cheesy doctor related coffee mug to complete this gift!

Members don't see this ad :)
-Keurig coffee maker with the remainder of the 400 in keurig credit. (BEST thing I own)

-I think a steth is a good idea, my roomamtes parents got me one.

-anything for his apartment (furniture, iHome)

yeah but for the rest of us suckers who live far from CA we have to make due with star-sucks or cari-poo.

fortunately, one of the grocery stores around here sells Peet's in a bag. which reminds me i need to buy some . . .

Anyway, if you go with a coffee maker, I highly recommend the kind my mom got me (thanks Mom!) it's got the thermal metal coffeepot, so it stays hot longer, and it has a timer on it so i can set it up the night before and it will go on automatically in the AM.

and of course please get a cheesy doctor related coffee mug to complete this gift!

that's a bummer! no peet's would be sad.

other kitchen items/small appliances could be a good idea, especially for students who lived in dorms and didn't need to cook/didn't have a kitchen. i love to cook but don't have my own pot/pan set (borrowing parents' REALLY old set that has since lost its non stick coating, which means i probably ate the coating w/ my food). i have my eye on a stainless steel set - def under $200 depending on the brand.

Littmann Master Cardiology Stethoscope, Black Edition, and engraved with his last name or initials. Runs about $270ish. Minus that from $400 and give him the leftover in cash money. :thumbup:

Don't get him a stethoscope. Some med schools give them to new med students.

Iphone - he would be up for a new one in time for 3rd year anyway and the organizational tools are awesome

Coffee machine, specifically a nespresso machine. My family gave me one and I love it. It uses espresso pods that are idiot/exhausted medstudent proof and makes yummy coffee.

A shopping spree for professional clothes (take him so you know its his taste and will fit)

Wow...and here I thought people would jump all over me for suggesting the Yankee scrubs. Where are all the Bronx Bomber haters out there? ;)

Help him pay for the massive amount of debt he is probably going to encounter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't buy a stethoscope. for the love of God don't buy a stethoscope. Get him some school hoodies/sweatpants. Always nice to have comfy studyin gear.

ah, no. :thumbdown:

reminds me of my physical therapy classmates who went out and bought $300 stethoscopes so that they could "take blood pressures." :rolleyes:

I 100% agree with this. I begged and begged and begged my parents NOT to buy me a stethoscope. Of course they didn't listen to me and bought me a crappy stethoscope at 2.5x the price (they used a store, not a website). I ended up just buying my own anyway because I couldn't use it. They wasted their money and I felt bad.

I would say go for an espresso maker (ie http://www.google.com/products/cata...alog_result&ct=image&resnum=3&ved=0CCkQ8gIwAg#)

I have this and I absolutely love it. They will never have to go to Starbucks again. And it will last a lot longer than cash/gift cards.

Either that or a nice 32-37" flatscreen TV to kick back and relax with. Or a nice big (22-24") monitor to watch lectures on.

Wow...and here I thought people would jump all over me for suggesting the Yankee scrubs. Where are all the Bronx Bomber haters out there? ;)

You and your Yankees can go to Hell! Happy?

:D

A nice AUTOMATIC watch, or one that has sweeping hands. Not quartz.

You and your Yankees can go to Hell! Happy?

Thanks, I needed that. And, oh, I think a nice watch is a great idea. Many students dont have one and use their phones instead but I think a doctor ought to wear a watch. It just looks classy to me.

Thanks, I needed that. And, oh, I think a nice watch is a great idea. Many students dont have one and use their phones instead but I think a doctor ought to wear a watch. It just looks classy to me.

Not to mention that it is required when conducting the Mini Mental Status Exam (Folstein MMSE) as it is one of the items the patient or subject is asked to name.

A Swiss Army watch or some Oakley sunglasses.

My parents bought me a Coach purse (I'm a girl obviously) and we are all (including my siblings and boyfriend) going out for dinner 2night to celebrate. I'll have the purse for a very long time n it's big enough to carry stuff for school n. And I will remember the dinner forever. So u can do something along those lines.

A nice watch is a good idea, he'll use it every day and think of you often. That or something functional, and that he'll hopefully use often.

For what it's worth -- that's what I mentioned to my parents when they asked me what I wanted for graduation.

Really?
I would have been like "Since I've been a good boy for the past 20 years and just got into med school, can I please have a car?"

I like the watch idea! I also second that it will be something he will look at and remember that you gave it to him. I certainly look at my watch and remember that my mother gave it to me, and also how carefully she picked it out :).

Also, if your son is absentminded like me, it's harder to lose than a iPod or a gift card :p

I'd like a new set of cooking knifes, or a new snowboard. Gotta have fun sometime, right?

Help him pay for the massive amount of debt he is probably going to encounter.

Haha! Nice in theory, but this dad has up to $400 to spend. That won't put a dent in his son's debt.

My fiance ran into some unexpected expenses in his first semester...he had to spend nearly $500 on an otoscope and a few other instruments. Some schools lump everything into tuition, including a Palm (or similar) device. Others tell you a week in advance that you need to purchase something expensive. We lived on pasta and frozen veggies for those first few semesters, since his school didn't let him know the extra costs in advance.

If you're going for a practical gift, and his school is organized enough to give him a list of things he needs to purchase, there's your answer. If he has what he needs but his laptop is two years old, a mini laptop may be the way to go. My laptop is heavy enough that I hate lugging it around. Mini laptops are a step between a handheld device and laptops like mine, which are convenient mainly at home...plus, they cost $400 or less.

Many practical gifts (electronics or gift cards) will not be useful long enough to be sentimental. I liked the idea of a stethoscope because it's nice to have a good one, and it can be inscripted and last a lifetime. Most med schools hand them out, but I really hate the way the cheap ones pinch my ears. A good one is a great gift because most cash-poor med students would never consider shelling out so much money for a good one, but would really appreciate having one.

It depends on what you consider to be a good gift. My brother-in-law's family is so practical that they make lists in January of every gift they'd like to receive for birthdays and Christmas. They include things like socks and specific DVDs and books, and they stick to those lists pretty strictly. Our family tends to be more creative in gift-giving. We don't make lists. However, if we know someone wants something specific (but not as specific as "X" model of "Y") we look for a nicer version of that thing than they would buy for themselves.

I think the best gift someone could get for me right now would be a really great trip somewhere. But those are on the higher end of gifts. So perhaps something for his apartment or a new computer.

Actually 400 can get you a local vacation, depending on where you are from. Like to Vegas, New York, California, Florida.

Agreed, $400 is a quite reasonable budget as long as the destination is within 1000 miles and you are driving. It helps if you plan the trip with 4-5 friends to split the travel and hotel costs.

I've tried to stay away from coffee so far, at least only using it for heavy study nights and to keep me focused for exams. But, now it might be a good time to start a coffee fund because I will probably need lots of it when MS3 comes around. There is no escaping it.

I'd like a new set of cooking knifes, or a new snowboard. Gotta have fun sometime, right?

Good point.

If your son is moving into a new apartment and has been living in school dorms up until now, he's going to need some good housewares... it doesn't hurt to invest in stuff that is actually nice.

When moving to med school, I got a nice set of silverware (so much better than the stuff I had at my previous apartments)... I've gotten some nice cooking knives. Some good furniture goes a long way.

Other thoughts:
A decent foreman grill that cleans easily
Good pots/pans that clean easily (I'm a fan of Dansk, you can't get it in stores anymore, but it's pretty reasonable on ebay)
good dishes