Any good advice on writing notes / HPI / SOAP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Michael Corleon

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a search and only found a few threads (some of which were 6 years old). I'm curious if anyone has tips or resources to improve medical note writing, HPIs and SOAP notes.

I would like to improve my writing and figured I could get some good advice here.

Members don't see this ad.

I did a search and only found a few threads (some of which were 6 years old). I'm curious if anyone has tips or resources to improve medical note writing, HPIs and SOAP notes.

I would like to improve my writing and figured I could get some good advice here.

Maxwell's is a great resource. Try that.

This is a topic I regularly cover with PA students in the H&P course I teach. If you PM me with your email address I will gladly send you some resources.
That said, Bates is a very good starting point. :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Repetition and lots of feedback from those reading your notes are the best way. It's difficult to give good feedback to you beyond what you could get from a book. Be organized and thorough, develop a pattern and stick to it.

don't buy a book. It just takes lots of practice to get good.

My simple advice: go in a set order, be concise but thorough... that's about it.

sample order for H&P:
HPI, ROS, PMHx, meds, FHx, SHx, PEx, LABS/STUDIES, A&P

sample order for SOAP:
interval hx, PEx, LABS/STUDIES, current meds, A&P

One piece of advice I've always gotten for the H&P is that you're basically constructing an argument for your differential (and especially the top item on your differential) the entire way through. If you think of it that way, it becomes easier to distinguish the "pertinent positives and negatives" from the useless junk you may have picked up in the course of interviewing the patient.

One piece of advice I've always gotten for the H&P is that you're basically constructing an argument for your differential (and especially the top item on your differential) the entire way through. If you think of it that way, it becomes easier to distinguish the "pertinent positives and negatives" from the useless junk you may have picked up in the course of interviewing the patient.

Excellent advice!

It depends on what rotation you're on (what an internist and surgeon want are VERY different things), but the most important thing is to just do a ton of them.