Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

any good book suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by tonyjerry, May 4, 2004.

1. tonyjerry

tonyjerry Member
    7+ Year Member

hey, considering all the time i have on my hands now, does anyone have any good medical related books they suggest? i read the william osler biography a life in medicine, which was nice to read to learn about what medicine was like in the 1800s but pretty boring and not really pertinent to anyone interested in medicine today. im finishing up walk on water which follows a pediatric heart surgical team at cleveland clinic and definitely recommend it.

2. Brickhouse

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Someone just did this thread a while back, I think the common recommendations were "Complications" bu Atul Gawande and "House of God" and I can't remember the dudes name. Complications was good though - I couldn't get past chapter one of House of God.

Someone else recommended the Hot Zone by Richard Preston which I'm reading now - and it is like the best book I've ever read so far. ( I don't read much) So thanks to whoever it was that recommended it.

edit: And I never added to the last list "The Woman in the Surgeon's Body" by Joan Cassell - an anthropologists case study of female surgeons in the U.S. Very good, very eye opening.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DORoe

DORoe BWAAA HAAA HAAA
    7+ Year Member

Couldn't read "House of God"? Blasphemy! Seriously "Complications" is good as is "Becoming a Doctor" by Melvin Konner (sp?).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. roja

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Brick: you WANT to read some medical book?

Hot zone is a great book.

I think all the others make me want to yawn... though I did read a great book called Creating hysteria about the whole MPD trend in the 80's and the psychiatrists that ended up in jail. And there was some book about this med student/resident in ohio who was a serial killer. they eventuall caught him coming back into the country.... can't remember the name.s

5. UseUrHeadFred

UseUrHeadFred Oh no! It's a Wumpus!
    5+ Year Member

"Damages" by Barry Werth. Required reading by a huge number of law schools.

Changes your whole perspective. I can't imaging not reading this book.

6. Mr. Rosewater

Mr. Rosewater Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i'm about 3/5ths through the william osler bio the OP mentioned, and i don't find it boring at all. i think it's pretty great.

7. UCIgrad2002

UCIgrad2002 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

by far the best medical book i've read is complications by atul gawande. however, if u wanna read something brilliant not medically related but still fascinating, read the da vinci code by dan brown. the prequel is really good too, i actually think it's better, it's called angels and demons, same author.

8. DORoe

DORoe BWAAA HAAA HAAA
    7+ Year Member

Check out this thread. It has a listing of a lot of good medical related books and some non-medical ones.

9. nascentdoc

nascentdoc Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

This is an existentialist piece. It's is only metaphoricaly related to medicine, but powerful nonetheless. "The Plague" by Camus. I don't know if you're an incoming medical student, but if you are, I found "Surviving Medical School" quite enlightning.

10. indo

indo Feed me a stray cat
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i saw a book at the book store last night that was about military surgeons. I read a little bit of it and it looked pretty sweet. I can't remember the name of it though. Might have been called "War Surgeons" but I'm not sure.
    edit: I think it was this one:
    http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=62-0802139620-0

BTW, House of God was crappy.

11. roja

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm goign to have to go with mediocre on the DaVinci Code. Its a good brain candy but not elegent or masterful.

12. chigirl78

chigirl78 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Try "The Coming Plague." Or for something non-medical try "Moneyball" or "The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Klay." They're two of my favorite books of all time.

13. bigbassinbob

bigbassinbob Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would suggest "Mountains Beyond Mountains" by Tracy Kidder. It's about Paul Farmer, a Harvard physician, who spends the majority of his life in Haiti helping the destitute. Before I read it, I thought people like this were only myths. It's crazy that one person can make such a difference, and I think it's an inspiring story for all future physicians/physicians.

14. Odaroloc

10+ Year Member

House of God was great. You have to give it a chance. Complications rules and is much more mainstream. Atul Gawande is a fantastic author.

15. JDAD

JDAD 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

I am almost finished "Complications" right now. I thought I was the first to discover this book, boy was I wrong.

16. Optimist

Optimist Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Indeed, "Complications" is excellent.

As for another, "Phantoms in the Brain: Probing the Mysteries of the Human Mind" by V.S. Ramachandran.

17. ddmo

ddmo BMF
    10+ Year Member

I reccomend "When the air hits your brain" by Frank Vertosick. Interesting quick read about the this guy's process of becoming a neurosurgeon. I like it because it is truthful, candid, and straight. No candy-coating or ego.

18. Lucius

Lucius Junior Member

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down--by Anne Fadiman.

19. indo

indo Feed me a stray cat
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Another non-medical book: Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs

Its a funny book that talks about music and pop culture.

20. Jamaican MD

Jamaican MD G.I.T.
    7+ Year Member

Gifted Hands by Dr. Ben Carson

Complications by Dr. Atul Gawande (made me wanna go trauma surg)

21. EM Junkie

EM Junkie SDN Donor
    Gold Donor Verified Account 15+ Year Member

FYI, The House of God is written by Samuel Shem. It is a must-read before your third year of medical school!

Buy it here at Amazon.com

-Scott, MS2